3 Segmented Wood Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood128

I good friend of mine Mal ( magpens ) asked me to design and construct 3 segmented pen blanks( there really are 4 blanks !!! ), with his specs. of no end caps, no dyed veneer and no other material ...just wood. My favorite material also, but lately have been using some acrylic . Reasonable request , so here are the three blanks that I made for him .He may not like these . ... that is OK . I ask all of you to encourage Mal to turn three pens , using his skill to pick the kits / kitless , etc. and show the results to us on IAP. I know he can create some beautiful pens. I probably want to be the proud owner of one of the finished pens. Thanks for your help and be safe .
P7252503.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Looks mighty nice Joe. Keeping the alignment and symmetry is always a huge issue with such as these.
I always admire your choice of woods, but then you do have an impressive selection. ;)

magpens

Wow !!! . Those are pretty nice, Joe !!! . Beyond my expectations and even beyond my specs !!!

I think I should take them before somebody outbids me, eh !!!

magpens

Wow !!! . Those are pretty nice, Joe !!! . Beyond my expectations and even beyond my specs !!!

I think I should take them before somebody outbids me, eh !!! . (But I can't seem to get the system to accept this post ... ??????? )

magpens

Oh there it worked .... thank you, Joe ! . ( But how do you get 4 ? . Maybe you're including an extra for return to you ??? )

Last edited:

wood128

Oh there it worked .... thank you, Joe ! . ( But how do you get 4 ? . Maybe you're including an extra for return to you ??? )
The first one I made had end caps, acrylic and dyed veneer . You said you would try it anyway. That would make 22 blanks to fill the box !!!

magpens

Oh, ..... OK !!! . Yes, that was the deal !

Thanks for making those blanks so quickly .... they are truly beautiful and I look forward to getting them and working with them !!

Your design and fabrication skills are A-1 !!! . Quite likely more orders of a similar nature will follow !!

I am glad that I specified as I did ..... those combinations of woods are outstanding !! ... You excelled yourself, Joe !!!

I really like the idea of that center blank, but I am wondering how the wrap-around effect will affect the final outcome for those diamonds.

MaartenB

Goodmorning
I good friend of mine Mal ( magpens ) asked me to design and construct 3 segmented pen blanks( there really are 4 blanks !!! ), with his specs. of no end caps, no dyed veneer and no other material ...just wood. My favorite material also, but lately have been using some acrylic . Reasonable request , so here are the three blanks that I made for him .He may not like these . ... that is OK . I ask all of you to encourage Mal to turn three pens , using his skill to pick the kits / kitless , etc. and show the results to us on IAP. I know he can create some beautiful pens. I probably want to be the proud owner of one of the finished pens. Thanks for your help and be safe .View attachment 243012
Goodday

I liked the right penblank that much, so I tried to copy it, some Padoek, Zebrano, Meranti, Coromodel and ……some veneer as a transition.
The pen is a BEREA Triton, I hope you like it

Attachments

• 5253F018-1798-4871-9C66-D3523B0065BE.jpeg
    5253F018-1798-4871-9C66-D3523B0065BE.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 143
  • 2D5FA973-772A-4EA2-9565-0AE6E0FBB28E.jpeg
    2D5FA973-772A-4EA2-9565-0AE6E0FBB28E.jpeg
    445.8 KB · Views: 158
  • D2DF7BF2-5A82-4E45-8EBE-DCC55DC6AFBD.jpeg
    D2DF7BF2-5A82-4E45-8EBE-DCC55DC6AFBD.jpeg
    414.2 KB · Views: 136

jrista

I good friend of mine Mal ( magpens ) asked me to design and construct 3 segmented pen blanks( there really are 4 blanks !!! ), with his specs. of no end caps, no dyed veneer and no other material ...just wood. My favorite material also, but lately have been using some acrylic . Reasonable request , so here are the three blanks that I made for him .He may not like these . ... that is OK . I ask all of you to encourage Mal to turn three pens , using his skill to pick the kits / kitless , etc. and show the results to us on IAP. I know he can create some beautiful pens. I probably want to be the proud owner of one of the finished pens. Thanks for your help and be safe .View attachment 243012
Those are some phenomenal blanks!! You have true talent with this kind of segmenting, good sir!! WOW.

jttheclockman

Goodmorning

Goodday

I liked the right penblank that much, so I tried to copy it, some Padoek, Zebrano, Meranti, Coromodel and ……some veneer as a transition.
The pen is a BEREA Triton, I hope you like it
Did not realize this was a 2 year old thread but want to welcome new member Maarten to the site. Thanks for showing your creation. Have fun and hope to see more of your work.

Top Bottom