See more from boxguy

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxguy

Amazon rosewood, Afzilia , Massacar Ebony

2005418141818_3pens.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

boxguy

These are standerd slim line kits with the lower tube replaced with one that is 1/4" longer to make up for the omited center band. I like the look of the all wood pen with less metel parts, and not having the center band makes it possible to have tapered designes that are thicker in the center. I also have made them with wood center bands, Ebony or some burl.

dougle40

Very nice Jeff . Funny but I just made a comment about Afzalia in another post about it not looking as good as the others there but in these 3 it looks great . Just goes to show , it all depends on what you have it to compare to .

badwin

Very nice pens. I am going to have to try that style. Question, when you turn them do you omit the center bushing and turn the blanks pushed together to get that smooth transition.
Thanks
Brian

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Jeff,

Really nice pens! Your lathe must be dead on, any slop would show up at the centerband when the pen was extended. Congratulations on your turning and your equipment!

swm6500

Those are really nice Jeff. I too like doing them without the centerband or with a wooden center band. Never have used a longer tube though, just let the pen be shorter.

wicook

I, too, have been turning slimlines without the CB to allow a slightly larger profile. I haven't extended the tube, just end up with a slightly shorter pen like Sam is doing.

esheffield

I really like those! Beautiful work! I've done some without the CB as well but I've been extending the upper tube. I think I prefer the look of the longer lower tube though. No problems with the transmission? You just press it in 1/4" farther? I made some teacher's pens for Christmas and I had to push the transmissions in quite a bit farther to get the refill to extend sufficiently, but it didn't seem to affect it's operation any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom