3 Fordite Blanks-

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Benpen

Hello friends!

I have 3 Fordite blanks that I was going to keep for my own pens, but I'm simply running out of time to turn all that I have-

Im including a few pictures each of the longer blanks (approximately 3/4 inch square by 5 inches)- $24 per blank

1st blank pictures- 0846, 0847, 0848
2nd Blank- 0841, 0842, 0843

the Stubby blank (Last 3 pictures) is 3 and 7/8 inch long but is thicker at 7/8 inch square-- $20

Shipping is $5 but if you buy all three, I'll ship for free!

Ben

Attachments

• IMG_0846.jpeg
    IMG_0846.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0847.jpeg
    IMG_0847.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0848.jpeg
    IMG_0848.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0841.jpeg
    IMG_0841.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0842.jpeg
    IMG_0842.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0843.jpeg
    IMG_0843.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0851.jpeg
    IMG_0851.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0853.jpeg
    IMG_0853.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0854.jpeg
    IMG_0854.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 139
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Is anyone still able to get the "Detroit Agate" type of fordite anymore? I have one $60 agate fordite blank, was the only one I could get ahold of. It is decent, but, I'm not really a fan of the blue resin the pieces were embedded in, and I've been looking for something with a silver or black resin. Seems the "agate" type fordite is vanishing these days, and is really hard to come by anymore...

egnald

Unfortunately, unless it comes from a very small body shop, Fordite just isn't made any more. It was a byproduct of painting overspray that got on the framework that carried cars between paint booths and curing ovens in the days when automobiles were still hand painted at the factory. Since each successive layer was cured as the frames cycled between the paint booth and the oven it could become quite hard as the deepest layers were baked hundreds of times.

It has become rare since the car painting process has changed significantly. The current Electrostatic painting process virtually eliminates the waste of overspray which is what formed the Fordite. It's one of those materials that will most likely be gone forever once the existing supply is all used up.

It does make some really cool pens though - and pens with an interesting backstory too!

Dave

jrista

Unfortunately, unless it comes from a very small body shop, Fordite just isn't made any more. It was a byproduct of painting overspray that got on the framework that carried cars between paint booths and curing ovens in the days when automobiles were still hand painted at the factory. Since each successive layer was cured as the frames cycled between the paint booth and the oven it could become quite hard as the deepest layers were baked hundreds of times.

It has become rare since the car painting process has changed significantly. The current Electrostatic painting process virtually eliminates the waste of overspray which is what formed the Fordite. It's one of those materials that will most likely be gone forever once the existing supply is all used up.

It does make some really cool pens though - and pens with an interesting backstory too!

Dave
Oh yeah, I am aware it is a rare commodity that is no longer made. It hasn't been made in decades, since we moved to eletrostatic painting methods.

I learned a while back that people are manufacturing this very simple layered stuff artificially now. I've never been interested in the simple layered stuff...its the old agate-like stuff, from real car factories from when they were still spray painting and heat curing the paint, that I'm interested in.

Top Bottom