3 Cedar Bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveJ

SteveJ

A friend gave me three well aged cedar logs - he had them sitting in his garage for over fifty years. Each were a little longer than 3 feet and about 6 inches across. I cut about a foot off one and then sliced boards about 3/4 of an inch. Then, without access to a planer, pushed them through my Byrnes sander (six inch maximum width) about a hundred times to get them all to close to the same thickness. Then edged glued to create boards suitable for cutting on the ring master. I did one earlier and finished these for his kids now since he is moving out of state early next month. I also included a pen from the same log. I think I will pay someone to create boards out of the other pieces! Each bowl is finished with a couple of coats of shellac and then a couple coats of high gloss poly.

P1020244.JPG
P1020245.JPG
P1020246.JPG
P1020248.JPG
P1020249.JPG
P1020250.JPG
P1020251.JPG
P1020252.JPG
P1020255.JPG
P1020256.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Wonderful project Steve. I love the grain and the profiles are excellent. Quite a job for the Byrnes.

Very nice.

Woodchipper

Outstanding turning of bowls and the nice pen. I like the way you oriented the grain. Thanks for sharing and the great photos.

Very nice set of bowls and the pen turned out very nice. I do have one question though and that's about the "plug" in the bottom of the bowls. I'm not sure what that's for as I use a face plate to turn bowls where the blank is screwed to the face plate. I'm just wondering if there's a different approach to turning bowls that I'm unaware of. Good job!

Lucky2

Very nice set of bowls and the pen turned out very nice. I do have one question though and that's about the "plug" in the bottom of the bowls. I'm not sure what that's for as I use a face plate to turn bowls where the blank is screwed to the face plate. I'm just wondering if there's a different approach to turning bowls that I'm unaware of. Good job!

It's a different type of "lathe"' altogether, I wouldn't even call it a lathe myself. But it does cut the rings at an angle, and then you glue the rings on top of each other. Maybe Steve could post a picture of his Ring Master, if not, do a search.

Len

SteveJ

I will post a picture of my ringmaster later. Mine attaches to the Shopsmith. It makes a bowl out of a board and definitely has some limitations. The rings are about a quarter of an inch thick and there is really no actual turning. You cut the rings, glue them together and the sand the neck out of the bowl while it turns on the lathe. The better the cuts, the less sanding is necessary. Cedar is nice since it is pretty soft! While it is possible to use the ring master without a center hole, I have not yet taken that step. The shape of the bowl is pretty much limited to what you see here with some minor variations. William Young is an expert with the ringmaster. He hasn't posted since May when his woodworking friends site also went offline.

Check out this thread with a bowl he did: https://www.penturners.org/threads/dizzy-bowl-34.159154/#post-2019185

Lucky2

That link that Steve posted, shows a bowl made by Bill Young. Bill used to have a site of his own, but last I heard was that it is now closed. Bill is a very proficient woodworker, there's little to nothing he can't do with wood. Every type of woodworking people do for hobby work, Bill is pretty near an expert on it. And when it comes to the Turn Master, he most definitely is the master. Some of the designs and patterns he's come up with, were absolutely amazing. But with Bill's talent, nothing less would be expected. He has or had some videos on You-Tube, I'm not sure if they are still there though. You should check and see, you will see what I'm talking about. Bill was or is a member of this site alslo, but I haven"t seen him post anything in some time now.

Len

Top Bottom