3/8" x 1.85" Foil Blanks - Bob Jackson

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Bob bought a 3 pack of the PSI Steampunk Kits, and wished for Foil blanks. I offered to help.

This was a roller coaster as I still need time to get my technique right.

Both runs held 45 PSI for 60 minutes, under pressure within 5 minutes. I did this in my fume free casting box. Casting with Alumilite purchased in March, 2014.

First picture is of my "test" blanks to see if the system worked. No question - NOT... Moisture? Old Alumilite? Poor mixing? All of the above.

Well, I had 4 blanks made for Bob, and they were equally useless without casting, so 15 minutes later 3 went in. Same conditions... Same lab rat running the pressure pot...

Pictures 2-5 are of 3 foil blanks for Bob (only had silcone stoppers for 3).

Other than a few specks of dirt/dust, they are very clear and bubble free.

Not sure why... But at least the important blanks came out. I'd like to make 3 more just to have some extras for Bob to choose from, so I'll try on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Attachments

• IMG_1365.jpg
    IMG_1365.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1366.jpg
    IMG_1366.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_1369.jpg
    IMG_1369.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1370.jpg
    IMG_1370.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 208
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I had that same problem with old alumilite. Hate it when that happens

Actually... I think it was the lab rat (me). I had 2 blanks previously painted 2 months ago. I coated with medium CA, coated with Aluminum shavings from my PITH project. Applied accelerator. Let sit for 2 hrs, then cast. I think a 3-5 day de-gas was needed.

There was no difference between the runs other than the CA. My mistake, I knew better.

However, I believe my Alumilite and pressure pot is fine, so I will remake the blanks, wait 1-2 weeks then try again :).

So, a lesson learned!

Marko50

Just my .02¢….when you're mixing your AL, make sure you always pour/weigh the "A" side first….Always! If you pour/weigh the "B" side first and then add the "A" side last, you will get the milky, opaque mess going. I called Alumilite and verified this fact. There is a method to the madness and there is an order to the sequence of pouring. I don't pretend to understand the chemistry of it all, but I have learned to do it the Alumilite way:wink:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Just my .02¢….when you're mixing your AL, make sure you always pour/weigh the "A" side first….Always! If you pour/weigh the "B" side first and then add the "A" side last, you will get the milky, opaque mess going. I called Alumilite and verified this fact. There is a method to the madness and there is an order to the sequence of pouring. I don't pretend to understand the chemistry of it all, but I have learned to do it the Alumilite way:wink:

Thanks for the suggestions Mark! I'm not sure which I used first, so I'll pay closer attention. Shoot, I may even read the instructions :)!

Top Bottom