2x72 Belt Grinder Sharpening Setup.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LK&T

Since I started turning a couple years ago I've used my 2x72 belt grinder to sharpen my lathe chisels. It's mostly all freehand, but I do improvise a jig every now and then. But now I want faster/easier. So, do YOU use a belt grinder to sharpen? What's your setup? Help me spend money!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Chad, pictured below is my sharpening system. No jigs, just a little elbow grease and time. Plus environmentally friendly as it doesn't require any electricity. And they last a lifetime, I've had this sharpening stone for over 30 years.
As for spending money...I've got a knife I will sell you for $1,000.00.
Take this with a sense of humor 😂 (not the knife though, I'm serious about that;)), there's a bunch of jigs out there you can buy and plans to make your own. Good luck...but really, think about the stone...and the knife I can use the money and if your willing to part with it I would be more than happy to take it from you😂:eek:.

Attachments

• PXL_20201226_231324279.jpg
    PXL_20201226_231324279.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 182

LK&T

Chad, pictured below is my sharpening system. No jigs, just a little elbow grease and time. Plus environmentally friendly as it doesn't require any electricity. And they last a lifetime, I've had this sharpening stone for over 30 years.
As for spending money...I've got a knife I will sell you for $1,000.00.
Take this with a sense of humor 😂 (not the knife though, I'm serious about that;)), there's a bunch of jigs out there you can buy and plans to make your own. Good luck...but really, think about the stone...and the knife I can use the money and if your willing to part with it I would be more than happy to take it from you😂:eek:.
As someone who owns a sharpening business I have a few of those environmentally friendly, cordless sharpening devices hanging around the shop.

However,I don't have a spare grand burning a hole in my pocket :D

dogcatcher

For my vacation home shop I rigged up a Harbor Freight right angle grinder with a belt sander attachment off of eBay. Similar to this one.
50mm Angle Grinder Belt Sander Attachment Wood Metal Sanding Belt Adapter New US | eBay

I control the speed using a router speed controller, also from Harbor Freight. Cost less than a $100, the angle grinder $20, the speed control, $20, the 50mm/2 inch belt sander, $40. A set of belts from Klingspor, another $20. The router speed controller does not work with all right angle 4 inch grinders, but it does with the cheap HF versions. I also use the grinder with the chainsaw looking round blades for woodcarving.

I also copied the sharpening jig that Capt Eddie made out of plywood. But most times I free hand sharpen. I have been turning since 1962, long time before the invention of the sharpening jigs. I also was taught to sharpen metal lathe bits by hand over 50 years ago. But I succumbed to the hype of the sales people and "invested" in a Wolverine system years ago, I have this at home, I use it mainly for sharpening bowl gouges, the others I do free hand.

Top Bottom