2nd place segmented pen winner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Thanks again everyone that voted for my pen. Though a simple design, there is one aspect of this build that I learned a great deal from. The materials, holly, bloodwood and aluminum prohibited any sanding of any kind. This one was fun to build just because it isn't as simple as it looks. Rather than spoil the fun, at this point, I would like to challenge my fellow segmenters to make their own versions of my pen. If you do, I would suggest you not use anything expensive on your first try. Also attaching a picture of the inspiration for the pen design.
Two.JPG
IMG_1535.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Larryreitz

I'm not a huge fan of overly complimented segmentation. It's just me and I expect I'm in the minority here. However, I really like this pen and I was glad to give it my vote. Very nice job!

John Eldeen

Simple is very seldom actually simple well done on making simple look amazing and congratulations. I love the inspiration for your design as well it just proves inspiration can come from anywhere if your looking.

Tripletmom

This pen reminded me of a barber pole šŸ’ˆ. I loved the design and knew it had to be very difficult to make with all of the detail. Nice work!

jttheclockman

This had my vote and I have some idea of the difficulty. Simple yet elegant with the choice of materials. I think I will take you up on the challenge. Question how many dots are in there?? I am guessing 6. How are you drilling the dots?? On lathe or with drill press and jig?? I was thinking of someday do more jig work for my drill press. This is more challenging but I believe I had seen some videos of some jigs for the drill press somewhere. Have to do some searching. Always love a good jig.:)

KenB259

This had my vote and I have some idea of the difficulty. Simple yet elegant with the choice of materials. I think I will take you up on the challenge. Question how many dots are in there?? I am guessing 6. How are you drilling the dots?? On lathe or with drill press and jig?? I was thinking of someday do more jig work for my drill press. This is more challenging but I believe I had seen some videos of some jigs for the drill press somewhere. Have to do some searching. Always love a good jig.:)
6 dots, centered on the band and I made a very very simple jig for my drill press. Looking forward to your results.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

6 dots, centered on the band and I made a very very simple jig for my drill press.
Very good. Like it alot. The simplicity stands out the most. I can relate with the different materials and sanding. That is why I use just a skew on blanks like that. Working on one right now that has ebony, holly and aluminum so it should be fun to finish. Thanks for showing and congrats on the placing. Job well done.

Alan Morrison

Ken, your pen got my vote as well. I did not view the pen as simple as I can see the amount of work involved, especially having holly and aluminium beside each other. You must be good with the skew.
What is the dimension of the aluminium?
I might have a go at yours ( an approximation anyway ) sometime down the road.
Congratulations on a well made pen.
Alan

Pierre---

Your inspiration made me laugh! I try to keep my eyes open to transform anything into woodturning, but you are a master at that.
You had my vote, I highly appreciated the humble mastery. Would be fun to try to do the same...

magpens

I did not even think of design simplicity ....

.... I just KNEW/KNOW that I like it !!!!!

KenB259

Ken, your pen got my vote as well. I did not view the pen as simple as I can see the amount of work involved, especially having holly and aluminium beside each other. You must be good with the skew.
What is the dimension of the aluminium?
I might have a go at yours ( an approximation anyway ) sometime down the road.
Congratulations on a well made pen.
Alan

The aluminum is .025 6061. Give it a try, if love to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom