2nd Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Big

Big

Ok, I am going to post this and take my lumps. My first pen was a total disaster and i am way too embarrassed to even think about posting pics of it here. Let's say that I made every conceivable rookie mistake possible. I managed to drill the holes just off enough to make the tubes a bit angled. I cut through one part to the tube and tried to repair it with sawdust and CA, not pretty. I put it together incorrectly and it doesn't work so overall, it was and is a complete disaster. My second attempt from earlier today turned out much better for the most part but I managed to drive the transmission in way too far and it doesn't work. It looks alright for the most part but not great. So, I am two pens into my new career and the most positive thing to come out of it is that I have now gone through the process from start to finish and learned a great deal through my mistakes. No matter what, I am going to stick to my guns and improve with each attempt until I am actually making functional pens. LOVE pen making and wood working and just can't get enough of it. Thanks for looking and for all the help that you guys and gals have given me. You are awesome!

Attachments

• 2nd pen A.jpg
    2nd pen A.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 247
  • 2nd pen C.jpg
    2nd pen C.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 185
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janster

..........Absolutely "normal" errors we most all have made at one time or another. Put you failures in a place for safekeeping and soon you will see a great improvement. The tought part is to learn from your mistakes and try to further avoid them. be well......Jan

stonepecker

Hey BIG.......For your second pen.....not to bad.
Looks like your need a calipers for getting the size closer. The bushings are just a guide. Measure them in to get even closer. To my eye, it looks like you need to make the barrel a little thinner and lengthen the taper to the tip.
Your finish looks good. And you will get better with pratice.
Keep smiling,W

solobiker

Thanks for sharing. I know I made many many mistakes with my first few, well actually I still do make mistakes but have learned a lot. Keep on having fun and I hope you continue to post some pics of your pens.

OZturner

Nice One, Michael.
As has been previously commented,
So on the positive side you have already experienced most of what can go sour.
I share the comments already made, That your Finish looks great, and You could put your blanks on a bit of a diet.
Congratulations, on your post, and I look forward to your next one, I am sure you will have overcome most of your trauma, and anxiety.
Put this pen aside in a safe place and refer to it in the future and guage the progress you have made.
Brian.

Very nice indeed. Don't worry about your tube not being straight through the wood. It will find the center as guided by the bushings or mandrel, don't even try to fix it the next time this happens. We all make mistakes and continue to make more and more of them. Wait until you are working on $30 hardware and mess it up. Been there done that.... Keep up the great work. Have fun and ask questions before they become problems. We are all here to help...

southernclay

Hey Big, not bad at all. You're having fun and learning from your mistakes. Failing forward is a big key to progression. Keep it up! Glad you've got a couple under your belt.

Rick_G

For a second pen it's not bad. 2 things I would suggest. Try and get the blank to match the nib better. from the photos it looks like it is quite a bit higher. If that is not a good match you will feel it every time you use the pen. The second is the curves in the body. there are some who like the big curves but most do not. A very slight curve from nib to CB and from CB to finial looks better. On the slim the lower barrel looks best if it follows the angle of the nib to about the half way point and then angles down to the CB. Upper barrel about the same.

wizard

Ok, I am going to post this and take my lumps. My first pen was a total disaster and i am way too embarrassed to even think about posting pics of it here. Let's say that I made every conceivable rookie mistake possible. I managed to drill the holes just off enough to make the tubes a bit angled. I cut through one part to the tube and tried to repair it with sawdust and CA, not pretty. I put it together incorrectly and it doesn't work so overall, it was and is a complete disaster. My second attempt from earlier today turned out much better for the most part but I managed to drive the transmission in way too far and it doesn't work. It looks alright for the most part but not great. So, I am two pens into my new career and the most positive thing to come out of it is that I have now gone through the process from start to finish and learned a great deal through my mistakes. No matter what, I am going to stick to my guns and improve with each attempt until I am actually making functional pens. LOVE pen making and wood working and just can't get enough of it. Thanks for looking and for all the help that you guys and gals have given me. You are awesome!

Michael,
I think you have already received the most constructive feedback that a member could have to help them. As important as the progression in skills is the attitude behind learning and having fun. What struck me the most was the determination conveyed by the sequence of words highlighted above.... those that are predictive of a great pen maker to come. Just don't forget the fun part!! :)
Regards, Doc

Big

Thank you all for the comments and corrections. I love this stuff more than I can possibly express and would be out in my shop turning all day if I could. I finished my 3rd pen this afternoon for my wife and she asked me to leave some "meat" on the barrels instead of turning them all the way down to the bushings. So, I did and she is happy with it so I am happy with it. I am definitely learning from my mistakes and will strive to gain experience and skills. It is so awesome to be able to share with you folks and get the help that I need to be better. Thank you all so very much!

Jim Burr

Banned
Don't be afraid!!! Get down to the bushing. Just because you turn it doesn't mean it must be a pen!!! Always, always always buy extra tubes, or bulk tubes. PSI has a 10 piece bag of 7mm 10" tubes for about $12? Well worth the $$ and overall cheaper than a kit!!

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Michael, That is a really nice second pen. Your well on your way to making some stunning pens. As others have said we learn from our mistakes and for putting pen together wrong I did just that with one a few weeks ago. Keep up the great work I'm looking forward to seeing your next pen.

Top Bottom