2nd kitless pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from 1shootist

1shootist

My first attempt at a section and threaded on cap. I told myself I needed to take off one more pass, which ended up being one pass too many resulting in some of the inside threads showing through on the cap.
I wanted to make it a fountain pen originally and just use the insides of one I have, but it seems you cant do that . I also didnt realize that needed to be tapped to hold the ink fin in. (Sorry, I have no idea what its called) ...I'm sure its doubtful the tap needed is a regular ole run of the mill one.

Thanks everyone, all comments pro or con are appreciated and make me strive to do better with the next one !

PSX_20191031_011242.jpg
PSX_20191031_011457.jpg
PSX_20191031_011423.jpg
PSX_20191031_011811.jpg
PSX_20191031_011716.jpg
PSX_20191031_011636.jpg
PSX_20191031_011848.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

Good attempt, nicely done! The section for FP does need to be internally threaded to accept the feed housing. If you want to scavenge the FP feed / housing from a kit, I believe you can find the tap/drill requirements doing a search here, I just don't remember off the top of my head. Bock #5 sections use a 6.4 mm tap, (Bock #6 and Jowo housings are of course different too), and pretty much every manufacturer uses something different, so it would make sense to decide on a nib/feed/housing preference and stick to it unless you want to end up with every specialty wierdo tap/drill combination there is.

1shootist

Good attempt, nicely done! The section for FP does need to be internally threaded to accept the feed housing. If you want to scavenge the FP feed / housing from a kit, I believe you can find the tap/drill requirements doing a search here, I just don't remember off the top of my head. Bock #5 sections use a 6.4 mm tap, (Bock #6 and Jowo housings are of course different too), and pretty much every manufacturer uses something different, so it would make sense to decide on a nib/feed/housing preference and stick to it unless you want to end up with every specialty wierdo tap/drill combination there is.
Appreciate it !
6.4mm tap, odd ball size I'm sure I wont have.., where did you buy yours ?

1shootist

Very nice! I like the colors of the blank. I also bought some of those acrylic rods, but I have never tried a kitless pen. Yours came out amazing!
Thanks !
Yeah I really like the color of this rod , I already ordered another from Steven.
I'm glad I decided to try kitless pens, it has been many failures with a few victories but still tons of enjoyment. You should give it a try. I'm not using the triple start tap & dies, just 1/2 x 20 and m10 x 1.

FGarbrecht

Appreciate it !
6.4mm tap, odd ball size I'm sure I wont have.., where did you buy yours ?
I got most of my taps/dies from Turner's Warehouse: https://www.turnerswarehouse.com/collections/custom-bespoke-pen-supplies
They have also been running a sale on their triple start tap/dies for awhile; even on sale they are expensive, but I haven't seen any indication of a group buy for these through IAP, so if you want triple start cap / barrel threading that may be your best best for now. Also, if you want to use a Bock section instead of making your own, you need the Bock specific tap which can be got through Beaufort Ink. I make my sections and just use a 9 mm standard tap/die combo for the external threading.

Top Bottom