Full Review 24k gold Screw cap Classic American Rollerball/fountain pen Kit from PSI

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy Simmons

This review is regarding the classic American pen kits from PSI. (not woodcraft)
Pennstateind.com and woodturningz.com

The kit costs $6.25 for the rollerball and $7.75 for the fountain pen. You will also need a 10mm drill bit and bushing set (~$10 one-time expense) Note: these are woodturningz prices and do not include bulk discounts.

both the rollerball and fountain pen kits look quite nice when fully assembled. The metal male threads on both ends of the body are durable and hold strong, while the female threads inside the cap are made of plastic to prevent tarnishing the gold plating. I have never had any of the plastic threads break. Strangely, the plastic bags that the parts are contained in seem very flimsy, almost like saran wrap. I found this to be somewhat odd, seeing as all of the other bags from different pen kits are uniform.

I did not receive any instructions with the kits I ordered. Not that I would have read them anyway. You know... it's a guy thing.

Photos should be available on the catalogue page of my website.

I am not a huge fan of this kit. You need to cut a tenon in the piece that will become the bottom of the cap assembly, the part that contains the female threads. If this tenon is too short, the part won't stay on, and if it's too long, the cap won't post properly. The second caveat of this kit (again, with the cap assembly) that really gets on my nerves is the part that contains the inner threads for the cap has an accent piece in the form of a black plastic ring in between the gold. While it looks nice in theory, the plastic is low grade and soft, so when you press the thing onto the tenon you worked so hard to cut, the plastic bows and squishes outward as if you has stepped on a hamburger patty. You can't sand it down either because you'll tear off the gold plating. Other than the blasted cap, I have had no other problems.

For a six-seven dollar pen, I can't say I'm upset. You just have to learn to be careful when pressing the parts together. It may just take screwing up a kit or three to figure it out.

I give this design a 7/10. For someone on a budget, I would say that these are the way to go. If PSI would change their design, and the cheap bags, I might consider buying a few more of these in the future. But for now I will be sticking with my magnetic graduates. Those things are like crude oil for my woodshop.

Randy Simmons

~Edit

The photos link no longer works, I have uploaded one with this post.

Also, the gold plating is not durable. Even with soft plastic threads, the finish wears badly and scratches. It is also easy to strip the threads in the cap. I'm not going to buy any more unless I absolutely have to.

This pen gets a 5/10.

Attachments

• August-21-02.jpg
    August-21-02.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,209

Joe S.

I think the woodturningz and psi versions are different, I got the woodturningz gold and hated it, and the psi chrome and loved it (no tennon on the psi one either!). Still this is a fair review for the woodturningz version.

Randy Simmons

I think the woodturningz and psi versions are different, I got the woodturningz gold and hated it, and the psi chrome and loved it (no tennon on the psi one either!). Still this is a fair review for the woodturningz version.
Yes, woodturningz made their own version of the PSI kit. I am not sure if woodturningz's quality was affected by a different manufacturer or just the fact that it was a gold finish, but either way, not a favorite.

It was one of my first reviews ;) haha. I'm working on it!!

Cheers,

Randy

Top Bottom