2024 Youth Under 13 voting poll

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Would you be kind enough to pick your favorites?

• Entry #1 First Pen

Votes: 39 49.4%
  • Entry #2 My first pen

Votes: 36 45.6%
  • Entry #3 Haunted Pen

Votes: 14 17.7%
  • Entry #4 Love of the ocean

• Entry #5 Rainbow Stripes of Jupiter

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Entry #6 GhostPen#1

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Entry #7 My pet unicorn

• Entry #8 Susie's Pretty Princess Pen

Votes: 59 74.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fred Bruche

In alphabetical order, here are the 8 awesome entries for the BASH 2024 Youth Under 13 Contest!
You can select your top 3 favorites.

Entry #1
Young Penmaker Name:
Becca
Young Penmaker Age: 12
Title of Your Entry: First Pen
Description: Becca looked at the process and was scared in each step along the way. I cut the blank to size, but she drilled it on the lathe, mixed the epoxy and glued in the tube. She evened the ends and turned the blank with minimal instruction. At one point while turning the blank she said, "wow, this is really relaxing." The fit and finish are spot on. I believe the wood is Thuya burl.
Becca1.jpgBecca2.jpg

Entry #2
Young Penmaker Name: Carson
Young Penmaker Age: 6
Title of Your Entry: My first pen
Description: I have helped Carson make a few pens and he has watched a few be made and knows the process. This time he chose the spalted Maple blank. Did everything except apply the CA. Sometimes it burns fingers so I did that. But he sanded and polished it. He stands on a small step ladder to reach drill press and lathe. Used a offset sander on lathe to square ends. Used small bedan as tool.
Carson1.jpgCarson2.jpgCarson3.jpg

Entry #3
Young Penmaker Name: Emmy P.
Title of Your Entry: Haunted Pen
Description: Made from "Ghostwood" (pine) and a slimline kit. Emmy used a bandsaw for the first time to cut the blank apart. She used a drill press too while preparing the blanks. She used a gouge and skew to shape the pen. She decided to make a few deep cuts in the top of the pen for texture before sanding it from 150 to 600 grit and applying Shellawax polish. It was a little scary to assemble, but Emmy pushed the parts together perfectly and used it to draw a ghost holding the pen.
Emmy1.jpgEmmy2.jpgEmmy3.jpg

Entry #4
Young Penmaker Name: Hannah
Title of Your Entry: Love of the ocean.
Description: Nautical Twist Pen in antique brass by PSI. The blank is Ocean Storm acrylic from Exotic Blanks.
Hannah expresses her deep love and appreciation of the ocean with this beauty.
Hannah1.jpgHannah2.jpgHannah3.jpg

Entry #5
Young Penmaker Name: Kara
Title of Your Entry: Rainbow Stripes of Jupiter
Description: Rainbow SpectraPly on Sierra hardware. Kara cut, drilled, turned, and finished the pen.
Kara_2024_01.jpgKara_2024_02.jpgKara_2024_03.jpg

Entry #6
Young Penmaker Name: Maddie P.
Young Penmaker Age: 10
Title of Your Entry: GhostPen#1
Description: Made from "Ghostwood" (pine) and a slimline kit. Maddie used the drill press to make 7mm holes in the wood, glued in brass tubes, and carved using a gouge and skew. She made a slight indent near the nib because she was thinking about what it would feel like to hold and write with. She sanded from 150 to 600 grit (what fun to stop after each grit to appreciate how much smoother it got) before using Shellawax polish. She drew with it afterwards and liked it very much.
Maddie1.jpgMaddie2.jpgMaddie3.jpg

Entry #7
Young Penmaker Name:
McKenna
Young Penmaker Age: 10
Title of Your Entry: My pet unicorn
Description: Pen, Diamond Knurl, Ti Gold and black Ti from Exotic Blanks.Blank, White Unicorn by Don Maitz from the Classic nib.
I believe that McKennas goal in life is to prove that unicorns really do exist. This blank is a print from artwork by Don Maitz and hand-signed by him. Don is best known for creating the original Captain Morgan Pirate.
McKenna1.jpgMcKenna2.jpgMcKenna3.jpg

Entry #8
Young Penmaker Name: Susie
Title of Your Entry: Susie's Pretty Princess Pen
Description: This is her second pen. She did so well on her first pen, that I felt she was up to simple segmenting. When we discussed how the segments could tie the ends together visually, her face lit up and she exclaimed "Let's do it!"
She chose my best olive wood and we paired it with some gaboon ebony and an aluminum can.
Other than an advisory role, the only thing I did was help hold the segments while the glue dried. She designed the segments, applied the Pen's Plus finish, and everything in between.
Susie1.jpgSusie2.jpgSusie3jpg.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

Wow, all of the pens are very well done. I think it's great that all but 1 or 2 of the entrants are girls. its nice to see young women taking interest in turning.

jttheclockman

I liked the idea of including a photo of the kid doing the turning. If that means 4 photos instead of 3 allowed then lets change the rules. It adds that special touch. I can see just in Maddie's expression her concentration. Great job by all.

Lmstretch

Awesome pens by all. If I was not informed that the turners were 13 years old or younger, I wouldn't have known! I agree with Akane Morrison above, I am not in favor of participation trophies, but these youth turners all deserve a prize. The future of pen turning looks bright!

Top Bottom