2024 Advanced Kit Winners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

Well the results are in, the crowd has spoken

All the pens are truly gorgeous, and is a great representation of IAP skills.

Without further ado

In 3rd Place

Pen#3 - Grain Storm
By: Gerasimos (MedWoodWorx)

20advkit-3-2.jpeg

In 2nd Place
Pen#2 - Cigar
By: Steve (SteveJ)

20advkit-2-2.jpeg

1st Place goes to
Pen#4 - Modified Graduate
By: David (egnald)

20advkit-4-1.jpeg

This was a fantastic contest, and my honour to run it again this year. The winners will be contacted about their prizes.
I look forward to seeing even more entries next year.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

Wow - Thank you to everyone that participated and voted in this contest. And a very special thanks to Darrin for running it.

The kit I used, Magnetic Graduate, has quickly made it's way to the top of my favorite kits list. It really lends itself to closed ends on either the lower or upper tubes or both. Even though Maple is abundant and inexpensive, the Ambrosia Maple has become one of my favorites as well.

Ambrosia maple, is sometimes also called wormy maple, but the holes in the wood are really not from worms, but are made by a wood-boring beetle named the Ambrosia Beetle, partly due to the Ambrosia Fungi they are associated with. I say type because Ambrosia Maple is not a distinct species, but is usually a soft maple that has been infected. When the beetles bore into the tree they carry along the Ambrosia Fungi which stains and discolors the surrounding wood. Of course the challenge that comes along with it is that there are beetle holes left behind than need to be filled or otherwise taken care of when finishing.

The beetles are very tiny and ugly little buggers. In addition to Maple, they also commonly infest Pecan trees. One can usually spot them by the spaghetti-like residue they leave behind when they bore into the tree - they kind of look like little sawdust twigs that stick out of the tree. They sure are responsible for making some very pretty wood.

Dave

Ambrosia Beetle 1.JPG Ambrosia Beetle 2.JPG
IMG_4189 IAP BASH Advanced Kit 3.jpg

KMCloonan

Congrats! It was a tough group to have to choose 3 winners from. All entried to this contest were very good, but the 3 winners are truly outstanding!

jttheclockman

Great group of entries and Congratulations to the winners. Fine work all around.

Would it be possible to see the final total numbers ?

MedWoodWorx

Thank you all; i am obliged to all of you for being here and making this forum such a friendly and inspiring place. Cheers

Top Bottom