2022 BASH Puzzle #4

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle #4 is another Wood Identification Puzzle.

Your challenge is to identify the wood shown in the attached photo. Either the scientific or common name is acceptable.

Here are the rules:
1. General IAP Contest rules and the General BASH Puzzle rules apply
2. You must submit your entry using the official puzzle entry form: https://www.penturners.org/form/puzzle-contest.12/select
3. One entry per person and one answer per entry. Your entry must contain your real name, the puzzle number, and your guess.
4. Each correct answer will earn 1 point toward the overall Puzzle Prize total
5. Banter is expected and encouraged, but DO NOT post any hints or real guesses in this thread.
6. This contest will close at noon Central Time on Monday Feb 21
8. In addition to earning a point toward the grand prize, each correct entry will also be entered into a drawing for one or more individual puzzle prizes

HINTS:
1. This wood is from a tree on my farm.
2. The wood is one of the following (all of which are on my farm):
Honey Locust
Alabama Supplejack
Elm
Post Oak
Chinese Tallow

NOTE: Even if you have no idea what this wood might be, take a guess and send in an entry anyway. At the end of the puzzle contests, there will be a drawing from all entrants who didn't earn a single point in any contest. Bottom line is, you can't win anything if you don't enter.

Good luck, have fun, and let me know if you have any questions

Edgar

Attachments

• IMG_7013.jpg
    IMG_7013.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 186
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

On moving from Indiana to Texas for a while, my second house there had a big ol' tree in the backyard that was saved during construction. It also had a lot of vines that I checked closely to ensure were not poison ivy, since I am quite allergic too. Once satisfied I began to remove the lower ones. The next day my face was bloated, eyes swelling shut and arms a mess of rash. Texas poison ivy doesn't look quite like Indiana poison ivy. The host tree was different than anything in Indiana, too. It was a Chinese Tallow. I have never forgiven that tree, or the 10,000 seedlings it put off in my back yard every year.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
On moving from Indiana to Texas for a while, my second house there had a big ol' tree in the backyard that was saved during construction. It also had a lot of vines that I checked closely to ensure were not poison ivy, since I am quite allergic too. Once satisfied I began to remove the lower ones. The next day my face was bloated, eyes swelling shut and arms a mess of rash. Texas poison ivy doesn't look quite like Indiana poison ivy. The host tree was different than anything in Indiana, too. It was a Chinese Tallow. I have never forgiven that tree, or the 10,000 seedlings it put off in my back yard every year.
Poison ivy will grow around any tree (or post) - not just Chinese Tallow. We also have poison oak which looks a little different, but basically has the same effects if you're allergic to it. I've been fortunate, that I'm not (at least so far). Chinese tallow is quite a nuisance invasive tree, but it turns out that bees love them - go figure. A commercial honey company puts upwards of 60 hives on my property each year for the Chinese Tallow nectar.

Attachments

• hives.jpg
    hives.jpg
    696.7 KB · Views: 75

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
ELM is vague :rolleyes:🤔 Many variations of the species.
True - but American Elm is the only one in my area of the state that I'm aware of, so we don't usually bother to distinguish it. We do have a number of species of oak on our properties though.

Poison ivy will grow around any tree (or post) - not just Chinese Tallow. We also have poison oak which looks a little different, but basically has the same effects if you're allergic to it. I've been fortunate, that I'm not (at least so far). Chinese tallow is quite a nuisance invasive tree, but it turns out that bees love them - go figure. A commercial honey company puts upwards of 60 hives on my property each year for the Chinese Tallow nectar.
Don't forget poison sumac because 2 evil vines wasn't enough for mother nature! As far as bees, I am still trying to figure out what my 2 hives pulled from to create purple honey last summer/fall. I got about 5 gallons of the purple honey, super sweet and fruity but thicker than regular honey.

MRDucks2

Trust me, I know it can grow anywhere. I have never a reaction sumac and my reaction to poison oak has always been milder than poison ivy. Once spring set in, it was definitely poison ivy.

I blames the tree because we saved it during lot clearing and it was right in the center of my back yard. 😊

sorcerertd

I am still trying to figure out what my 2 hives pulled from to create purple honey last summer/fall
Elderberries? That could be quite a double whammy in holistic herbal remedies if it takes on the immune boosting properties of the Elderberry along with the natural antibacterial properties of the honey. There is a theory about it being kudzu, too.

Last edited:
Elderberries? That could be quite a double whammy in holistic herbal remedies if it takes on the immune boosting properties of the Elderberry along with the natural antibacterial properties of the honey. There is a theory about it being kudzu, too.

It is a possibility because this honey is produced by the bees in August-September time frame. The kicker is that I don't know where they are harvesting nectar from because bees will fly for miles to find nectar. I am not aware of any elderberry farms near me, at least not within the 5ish miles radius of the bees. No one else in the area seems to have gotten it either so I just don't know.

I have tried reaching out to research isntitutes to figure out the chemical composition to identify what the most likely culrpit is for purple honey. Alas, none seem to be abel to do that work or just don't care. It may have to go to a private commercial entity but that would cost money and I have no looked into that any deeper.

But yes, purple honey is quite real and inredibly rare apparently. Still got a bunch at my house in jars.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
It is a possibility because this honey is produced by the bees in August-September time frame. The kicker is that I don't know where they are harvesting nectar from because bees will fly for miles to find nectar. I am not aware of any elderberry farms near me, at least not within the 5ish miles radius of the bees. No one else in the area seems to have gotten it either so I just don't know.

I have tried reaching out to research isntitutes to figure out the chemical composition to identify what the most likely culrpit is for purple honey. Alas, none seem to be abel to do that work or just don't care. It may have to go to a private commercial entity but that would cost money and I have no looked into that any deeper.

But yes, purple honey is quite real and inredibly rare apparently. Still got a bunch at my house in jars.
You might reach out to a beekeeping forum or facebook group in your area. There is a beekeeping club in our county and they have a fb page - perhaps there are some near you as well.

MRDucks2

Thought I posted this, but it didn't stick.

You should have a state beekeepers association. They will a great deal of area and regionally specific info.

Top Bottom