2022 BASH Puzzle #3

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle #3 is another Wood Identification Puzzle.

Your challenge is to identify the wood shown in the attached photo. Either the scientific or common name is acceptable.

Here are the rules:
1. General IAP Contest rules and the General BASH Puzzle rules apply
2. You must submit your entry using the official puzzle entry form: https://www.penturners.org/form/puzzle-contest.12/select
3. One entry per person and one answer per entry. Your entry must contain your real name, the puzzle number, and your guess.
4. Each correct answer will earn 1 point toward the overall Puzzle Prize total
5. Banter is expected and encouraged, but DO NOT post any hints or real guesses in this thread.
6. This contest will close at noon Central Time on Monday Feb 14
8. In addition to earning a point toward the grand prize, each correct entry will also be entered into a drawing for one or more individual puzzle prizes

HINTS:
1. This wood is from a tree on my farm.
2. The wood is one of the following (all of which are on my farm):
Juniper
Mulberry
Mimosa
Osage Orange
Sycamore

NOTE: Even if you have no idea what this wood might be, take a guess and send in an entry anyway. At the end of the puzzle contests, there will be a drawing from all entrants who didn't earn a single point in any contest. Bottom line is, you can't win anything if you don't enter.

Good luck, have fun, and let me know if you have any questions

Edgar

Attachments

• IMG_7013.jpg
    IMG_7013.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 193
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

Between the last puzzle and this one, I know one thing for sure is that you have a lot of different trees on your farm! It's Texas, so they are probably big, too. :D

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Between the last puzzle and this one, I know one thing for sure is that you have a lot of different trees on your farm! It's Texas, so they are probably big, too. :D
Thanks, Todd. We are indeed blessed with a wide variety of beautiful trees, and some of them are quite large - especially the oaks & pecans. Some of our pecan trees are easily 300-500 years old.

1644547112550.jpeg

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle #3 is now closed.

The correct answer is Osage Orange.

Thanks to all who participated and congratulations to those who got it right.

In case you are interested, the wood came from this log which has appeared in a BASH puzzle the last 2 years. (I do try to make things easy from time to time).

Attachments

• 2016 View of Tree.jpg
    2016 View of Tree.jpg
    734 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 86

Loucurr

The color must really be off because I saw no hints of yellow in the posted sample, but I do see it in post #14.

MRDucks2

No! No! It has to be Sycamore! I'm melting, melting… LOL
I saw the piece and the fleck and immediately went to Sycamore then hesitated… a little dark for Sycamore, but too light for Osage Orange… does Osage Orange have that much fleck??? Rather than go look at any of the 400 pieces I have in the shop I thought, " naw, gotta be sycamore."
I'm so sad 😞

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
The color must really be off because I saw no hints of yellow in the posted sample, but I do see it in post #14.
The color is pretty accurate. OO will darken to a medium brown over time. That effect is fairly prominent on the top side of the blank. Some yellow is still visible on the front side. When turned, the inside will be quite yellow.

The first photo off the log was taken when I first cut the tree down. The second one was taken after the log was lying in the open for a couple of years. No yellow visible on the outside at all, but there are still some slight orange streaks in the bark.

Top Bottom