2021 Birthday Bash - Advanced Kit Pen Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

it Rules
In addition to the rules laid out here, all IAP "Universal Contest Rules" apply.
Just to clarify, entries cannot simultaneously appear in other contests.

The Advanced Kit contest, is here to begin pushing your abilities . The spirit of the contest is to begin leaving the restrictions of purchased parts behind and break open your creativity. This contest is not about the blank, there are other contests for that. This is about the design and construction.

Your advanced kit entry may be any style writing implement, with the exception of the Slimline (there is already a contest for that). Fountain pen, ballpoint pen, pencil……etc. That is for you to decide.

The only restrictions on tools, techniques or raw materials when building your entry, is that there will be no use of CNC or 3D printing. All replacement components must be made by the entrant. Any artisan material or blank may be used as long as you identify and give credit to the maker.
You are encouraged to make as many of the parts for your entry as possible within the following
  1. You MUST eliminate or replace a minimum of 2 components
  2. You MUST use a minimum of 2 components from the chosen kit
  3. Replacement components must be made by the entrant.
  4. Brass tubes, refills, FP nib (triplet), ink converters, & springs do NOT count as components within the scope of this contest.
At the time of voting, it will be highly stressed, that your entries be judged based on
  • Creativity
  • Design
  • Fit and Finish
  • And of course, looks. We all like a pretty pen!
All entries must be new creations. This means, that they have never been displayed, discussed or previewed in any forum, social media or exposition. If you have any questions or doubt about your entries qualification, please feel free to contact me.

To Enter: This year we are utilizing forms to assist in collecting the entries. Complete the form for the Advanced Kit Pen Contest. It can be located in the Form tab on the homepage Menu Bar. There is also a list of forms on the bottom right side of the Homepage.
  • You will give your name and email address (Only the management team will see these.)
  • Identify the base kit used,
  • Identify which parts you removed to take this kit to the advanced level.
  • A short statement that clearly explains what YOU did to make the pen. Any special features should be explained to ensure they don't get overlooked by the voters. Also identify any parts and materials not created by you such as custom pen blanks.
  • 3 pictures of your pen
    • Consider a photograph size of 800 x 600 as ideal. The contest chair reserves the right to resize photographs or slightly crop them to achieve a consistent image size.
    • You may use a, commercially available, clear plastic pen stand as a prop.
    • No other props are allowed. If a specific prop is required, due to the nature of the entry, authorization must be received from the Contest administrator.
    • Use a single-colored, plain background. The color and intensity of the background affects the highlights of your pen. The background should let your pen stand out, not interfere with it.
    • No montages, watermarks, or any other identifying marks that might reveal the identity of the maker.
Contest entries will be accepted beginning on February 1, 2021 and will be open until Saturday the 20th, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EST

All rules are subject to change for clarification or safety.

Entries will be limited to a maximum of 1 per member.

Prizes
FIrst place - A gift Cerificate from Mckenzie Penworks, $50 and Indexable cutters from Little Machine Shop, $35
Second Place -A gift Certificate from Craft Supplies $50
Third Place - A BOB from Brobbins629

If you have any questions you may post them here, PM me or send me an email.

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

The Advanced Kit is now closed for entries.

We have 6 budding artisans that have put forth their work, and I must say, I'm impressed.

I will get the voting poll out later today.

Top Bottom