• Pen #10

Votes: 68 56.2%
  • Pen #11

Votes: 23 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

darrin1200

It's Voting Time

Voting will be open until Noon EST on 27 February. That way I can get the announcement up Saturday evening.

Choose your favorite 3 pens.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

Pen #1
Title of Your Entry: MontBlanc 165 Rollerball re-creation
Description: Pen mat'ls: Lucite from an IAP member and Aluminum. The snap cap insert is from a Greenwald FP nib. The clip is milled from 1/8 thick Al as one piece. The clip body is 1/16 thick and the button is 1/8. It was finished with files and bent over a pin. A setscrew secures the finial and clip to the cap. The body ring was turned then swaged into a groove. The three Al rings and 2 Lucite rings on the cap were turned and slipped on a tenon. The nib has a raised edge that clips securely into the cap.

Kitless01 (1).jpgKitless01 (2).jpgKitless01 (3).jpg

darrin1200

Pen #2
Title of Your Entry: Southwestern style Euro
Description: I used turquoise acrylic for the hardware (except the clip because I don't know how to) and I made every piece using original parts and a calipers. I did have to glue the finial and nib in as I didn't want to press them. The wood is cocobolo.

Kitless02 (1).jpgKitless02 (2).jpgKitless02 (3).jpg

darrin1200

Pen #3
Title of Your Entry: Honeycomb Deep Blue
Description: I have used some custom cast Honeycomb Epoxy blue blanks, cast for me by Barry Abberton. Turned as a kitless pen and fitted with Jowo #6 Chrome nib.

Kitless03 (1).jpgKitless03 (2).jpgKitless03 (3).jpg

darrin1200

Pen #4
Title of Your Entry: An abundance of rhombs
Description: Made from Simplicata (white) and ebonite (blue) from Beaufort, this pen is inspired by a theme used by porcelain manufacturers. The only purchased part is a Bock 250 (#6) triplet. The housing screws into the section. The section is satined for optimum grip.

The postable cap has four thread starts. All lines are engraved and painted. The ebonite clip is functional.

This pen was designed in CAD software and produced using a combination of CNC machining and manual work.

Kitless04 (1).jpgKitless04 (2).jpgKitless04 (3).jpg

darrin1200

Pen #5
Title of Your Entry: Kitless Fountain Pen with 3d Printed Steel Clip
Description: This fountain pen utilizes a #6 Jowo nib, with 13x.8mm triple-start threads for the cap and body. The pen's dimensions are 6" in length, 0.65" cap diameter, and 0.55" body diameter.

The clip is manufactured from 3d printed steel then filled with bronze. I am the sole creator and designer of the clip. I learned a freeware modeling software and developed the printing file, which was sent to Shapeways for manufacture. The nib assembly was procured.

The resin is "Nebula" from McKenzie Penworks.

Kitless05 (1).jpgKitless05 (2).jpgKitless05 (3).jpg

darrin1200

Pen #6
Title of Your Entry: Erebor
Description: Erebor! Magnificent colors came out in turning this golden metallurgical pen-thus the golden city of the dwarves. Tools: Wood lathe, parting tools, and 1/2" & 1" skew chisel. Methods: Dead/live centers, collet chuck, jacobs chuck. Threads: Cap/Barrel m12x.08-triple lead, Section/Barrel m9x.75-single lead, & nib tap is m6.5x.5. MM , buffing, and ren. wax. Blank-Forged Patina by Brooks Blanks/Carolina Pen Company JoWo No. 5x3-FP Nibs, Converter-Schmidt, Ink-Shimmering Golden Sands by Diamine

Kitless06 (1).jpgKitless06 (2).jpgKitless06 (4).jpeg

Last edited:

darrin1200

Pen #7
Title of Your Entry: Wild Almond Burl Fountain Pen
Description: Pen is made from wild almond burl with ebonite finials.
Triple start threads, inserts also made from ebonite.
Almond burl was finished with BLO, and the ebonite has a wood grain finish.
The clip is bought.
Jowo #5 fountain pen triplet.

Kitless07 (1).jpegKitless07 (2).jpegKitless07 (3).jpeg

darrin1200

Pen #8
Title of Your Entry: Duality
Description: With exception of the rollerball cartridge and spring, I made all of the components for this pen. The blanks were layered castings. The nose cone and threaded coupler were made using aluminum and colored with Oynx All Metal Black Patina. The roll stopper was made using bronze metal clay.

Kitless08 (1).jpegKitless08 (2).jpegKitless08 (3).jpeg

darrin1200

Pen #9
Title of Your Entry: Mars Perseverance Big Game Bullet Ballpoint Pen
Description: Named after the latest NASA project, this project was completed the same day/time and required similar effort !!
The main barrel was turned from a solid metal rod. There is a short wood piece (Desert Ironwood) for contrast.
The only commercial parts used are the clip and the Schmidt SKM-88 click mechanism. The upper portion including
the wood unscrews for refill replacement. The shape is ergonomic, nicely fitting the hand for comfortable writing.

Kitless09 (1).jpgKitless09 (2).jpgKitless09 (3).JPG

darrin1200

Pen #10
Title of Your Entry: Desert ironwood burl pen with Damascus fittings
Description: This fountain pen is made of bicolor desert ironwood burl. I made the clip of Damascus steel, as well as the dots at each end. Double wooden threads, less than two turns to uncap. I bought a Jowo nib, feed and housing, and a converter.

Kitless10 (1).JPGKitless10 (2).JPGKitless10 (3).JPG

darrin1200

Pen #11
Title of Your Entry: Celluloid and Italian acrylic acetate
Description: This pen features vintage celluloid tube, black ebonite rod, Italian acrylic acetate, and a hand-made clip. The nib unit is JoWo #5, and the ink supply can be cartridge/converter or eye-dropper.

The clip was fabricated from 0.050" sheet stainless steel. I shape clips using a combination of grinder, belt sander, and Foredom rotary tool, then make the bends and polish.

Final treatment of the pen was buffing with white diamond, blue compound, and Plas-glo compound.

Kitless11 (1).jpgKitless11 (2).jpgKitless11 (3).jpg

Dale Lynch

Excellent work contestants.The attention to detail your pens display is outstanding.It is great to see a variety of skill sets employed, as well as different styles of writing instruments being made.

magpens

@darrin1200

HELP, Please ! . Can you clarify the meaning of "voters" ..... at the bottom of the voting table at top of this thread.

Voting tally is confusing to me.

Not clear if there were 121 voters, as stated. .
Or ..... were there 121 votes cast (each person was asked to indicate their top three ), in which case there were 40+ voters, .... perhaps, but still unclear !

Just curious to know which is the correct meaning of "voters". . Or, perhaps, neither of my interpretations is the correct one.

Last edited:

Fred Bruche

@magpens I've seen that for other contests, I believe "voters" is the number of members that placed at least one vote in that poll. Some might have voted for one or two or three pens, which explains why the total number of votes is 331 and not 363 (if all voters had cast 3 votes).

magpens

@magpens I've seen that for other contests, I believe "voters" is the number of members that placed at least one vote in that poll. Some might have voted for one or two or three pens, which explains why the total number of votes is 331 and not 363 (if all voters had cast 3 votes).

@Fred Bruche

But I am seeing 121 voters, not your 331 ???????????????? .... "Total voters 121 Poll closed Yesterday at 9:09 AM "

Are you, as one of the admin, seeing something different from me ?

Thing is .... if you take the number of votes received for each pen and divide by 121 you get the percentages quoted, so the 121 number is significant

Fred Bruche

@Fred Bruche

But I am seeing 121 voters, not your 331 ???????????????? .... "Total voters 121 Poll closed Yesterday at 9:09 AM "

Are you, as one of the admin, seeing something different from me ?

Thing is .... if you take the number of votes received for each pen and divide by 121 you get the percentages quoted, so the 121 number is significant

Nope, it's all there, just did some simple math :)
Number of votes each pen received: 331 (=31+6+48+30+9+21+42+33+20+68+23). Unless I made a small typo when adding the numbers.
121 voters with a maximum number of 3 votes: 363 (121x3)

duncsuss

Nope, it's all there, just did some simple math :)
Number of votes each pen received: 331 (=31+6+48+30+9+21+42+33+20+68+23). Unless I made a small typo when adding the numbers.
121 voters with a maximum number of 3 votes: 363 (121x3)

I see no error in your arithmetic, Fred. The column of "votes received" adds up to 331. And as you say - 121 voters could cast a maximum of 363 votes.

:cool:

darrin1200

That is correct. Each person is allowed to choose a maximum of three pens. Some people may have only voted for one, hence the lower number.
The percentage shows the percentage of voters who picked that pen, not the percentage of votes.

magpens

That is correct. Each person is allowed to choose a maximum of three pens. Some people may have only voted for one, hence the lower number.
The percentage shows the percentage of voters who picked that pen, not the percentage of votes.

Thanks for this clarified wording, Darrin. . . . And THANK YOU also for administering this contest !!! . :D
We all know the meaning of the numbers in the table at the top of this thread because we know how the contest is conducted.
But it is worth being explicit. .
This is, after all, a highly legal report !! . :D :D ..... And with many legal issues, there is an element of humor, depending on your point of view !

"The percentage shows the percentage of VOTERS who picked that pen, NOT the percentage of VOTES."

As example, for Pen #10, the percentage of VOTERS is 56.2%, whereas the percentage of VOTES is 20.5%. .

Pierre is happier with the first percentage, I am sure !! . Either way, of course, he would receive First Prize !! . :D .... WELL DONE, PIERRE !!!

Top Bottom