2021 BASH IAP Collection Contest Winners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
On behalf of IAP, I would like to thank EVERY entry. This is a unique contest, where you enter with the understanding that if you are in the top 3 you will donate your pen to the IAP Collection. Yes, there is a prize, but it is still a consideration. So for every entry - The IAP Membership thanks you. (This is a new format this year, so we will see if it is acceptable or needs to be tweaked).

OK, so here are the results...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
3'rd Place: Alan Morrison (alanemorrison)

Title of Your Entry:
Guitar timbers
Description: Pen made from timbers from a luthier's scrap box. Buffed with tripoli and white diamond, carnauba waxed.

2BC2F782-7DE0-404A-8E06-8DA4368D0BD5.jpeg

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
2'nd Place: Steve Johnson (SteveJ)

Title of Your Entry:
Southwestern Style Segment Pen
Description: The is a Diplomat from Exotic blanks with my rendition of a southwestern bowl on a pen. The main wood is oak. The blank is created by first gluing up four different blanks. Sandwiching veneer between oak. Each is then sliced into 1/16 inch pieces which are arranged in the desired pattern, glued together and turned down. The process provides many options for finished blanks!

0CBAE5E6-08B3-4183-8F63-AC284953D985.jpeg
0681BB10-98DF-40BF-B413-C30DAF1BB808.jpeg
C6BC9CFC-0C8B-4CBD-8241-DC1837A7AAB0.jpeg

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
1'st Place: Jon Tello (jontello)

Title of Your Entry:
Thin Body Vintage / Modern Pen
Description: Old Cellulose Acetate under 10 mm / takes international cartridge converter /Challenge- no room for threads/ Metal piece take threads instead of material / The top of cap made into a pen pillow that screws off the pen and to be used when writing but always with you / All the metal pieces are hand textured to match the Acetate.

I had this pieces of old Cellulose Acetate from 1930-40's that was a little under 10mm and I was determined make a pen that takes an international cartridge converter which this pen does. The challenge with this ultra thin piece of acetate is that there was not much room for the threads so I decided to make a metal piece that could take the threads instead of the acetate material. This metal piece right behind the section is 12 mm thick the nib section is 9.2mm at its thinest point. The average thickness of a regular pencil can be from 7-8mm, so as you can see its very thin. The pen is fitted with a Bock# 5 nib unit.

The cap of this pen is made with an OMAS Teal Blue Moon Material. It matches the color and tone of the Acetate perfectly. It has a metal piece at both the bottom and the top of the cap. I am all about functional pens and I love clip-less pens. The problem with these type of pens is that sometimes they can roll off the table. Not something you want to happen with your fountain pen. I decided to make the Metal top piece into a pen pillow that screws off the pen. This way when you are using it you can always have somewhere to put your pen on that is always with you because it is built into your pen.

All the metal pieces are textured to match the Acetate Material.

Pen body
- At its thinnest point: 9.4mm
- At its thickest point: 12mm
- Length 13.3mm including nib
Pen Cap
- 14 mm thick
Pen capped
- 138 mm long
Pen Materials
- OMAS Blue Moon (Cap)
- Vintage Teal Cellulose Acetate (1930-40's)
- EML Silver steel

E43B2DC9-96EC-49D8-A2F7-C96BADF0425E.jpeg
874890EF-F960-4D5E-997F-4C9D894D3F90.jpeg

SteveJ

Wow! Thanks to all who voted for my pen. Thank you Mark for running this contest. I knew voting would be close because each of the entries are exceptional! Congratulations to Jon.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
A couple of minor comments.

First: I would like to thank Mike Redburn who as the IAP Activities Manager does considerable behind the scenes work to make the BASH and the Summer Extravaganza work, as well as other activities. What we as contest leads screw up, Mike usually can correct. Thanks Mike!

And... Jeff. As the final backstop to our 'real screw-ups' there is Jeff who puts in countless hours to keep the IAP Site operating as well as can, and to fix what we can't.

It is a joy to have these two individuals watching your back.

Second, as to the IAP Collection Contest, and the three new additions, it is wonderful that IAP has added pens from Italy (Jon Tello), and Northern Ireland (Alan Morrison). Sorry Steve, Colorado is just not as exotic! ;) But your pen is superb!.

Hopefully, the IAP Collection can again 'hit the road' in late 2021 and do some displays!

magpens

Great work !! . Congratulations ! to all who participated .... INCLUDING the WINNERS !!!!! . :D :D :D

Alan Morrison

Well done Jon, a worthy winner and well done Mark James running the competition which turned out to be a truly international affair.
Thanks to all involved and to those who voted for my wee pen which I am very happy to donate to the IAP collection.

Alan

Jontello

Thanks everyone for the vote. Congrats Steve and Alan on your beautiful pens. I really enjoyed making it and excited more people will be able to enjoy it when the collection is able to travel again. The interesting thing is that this was the last pen I made I my shop here in Italy. Thanks so much IAP for the contest and for everyone like Mark who worked so hard to make this happen!

Darrin

Stellar work by all.
Everyone who entered should be proud of their work submitted.
Every year you folks amaze me with your talent.

Top Bottom