2021 Bash - Advanced Kit Winners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

Congratulations to all the entrants. It was a great demonstration of taking kits to the next level.
The winners will be contacted concerning delivery of prizes.

In 3rd place
Pen #6
Username: SteveJ

Base Kit Used: Olmsted
Parts Removed: I removed the two black rings, one at the nib and on at the center band. I also replaced the finial.
Description: This is an Olmsted kit with the black rings and finial replaced with some of the blank material. The alumalite blank was made by someone here and given to me a few years ago so I don't remember who made it. The pieces I replaced are on the bottom of the pen stand in the pictures.
advkit06 (1).jpg

In 2nd place
Pen #2
Username: Turning Tides Pens

Base Kit Used: Vertex Fountain Pen (Brushed Satin)
Parts Removed: End cap, clip.
Description: I was taught the art of pen turning 5 years ago by my mentor Bill Bettag. He showed me one of his realistic cigar pens and directed me to his instructions on IAP. After his passing in 2018, I am happy to premiere my version of the realistic cigar pen in tribute to his legacy. I used Thuya for the body, and Buckeye for the ash. I drilled the blank to fit the pen hardware. I used a Dremel and a wood burner to achieve the realistic ash look. I used an authentic cigar label adhered to the pen.
advkit02 (1).jpg

In 1st place
Pen #1
Username: Fred Bruche
Base Kit Used: El Toro
Parts Removed: Cap finial, body finial, clip
Description: Started with one of the shortest fountain pen kit available, El Toro, and turned it into an "unpocketable" desk pen that can use standard ink converters.
The wood for the pen body and the base is African bog birch, the other pieces are made from snakewood. Glues involved in this project were epoxy and CA.
It might not be "purse size" anymore but the pen balances nicely in hand (in mine at least).
advkit01 (2).jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred Bruche

Oh wow. Thank you for your support y'all!
The idea of something like this pen has been in some corner of my head for a while but never got to it. Darrin's idea for this new contest was the nudge I needed to try something new. Congrats to all entrants, it was a very nice group of pens. And I'm rooting for a bright future of this contest, kinda kitless in terms of creativity but without the need to invest in specialized tools. Excellent idea @darrin1200!

Pierre---

Congrats to the winners!

Fred, you got lucky this year 😏... I ran into technical difficulties and I couldn't finish my entry on time 😉😅 But I really love your ensemble.
Could you tell us more about African bog birch, with a close-up view if you can? Can't believe it is real birch, can I?

Fred Bruche

Congrats to the winners!

Fred, you got lucky this year 😏... I ran into technical difficulties and I couldn't finish my entry on time 😉😅 But I really love your ensemble.
Could you tell us more about African bog birch, with a close-up view if you can? Can't believe it is real birch, can I?

Definitely not the birch you can find in France; Wikipedia indicates these woods are classified in different Order, so not even close cousins. I bought a few pieces from tehwoods some years ago, not sure if they still have some. The wood is very dense (very tight grain) and heavy, hard to get a finish on it (acetone rub before CA on a pen blank is a must), some of that could due to the fact that it is bog-wood. I don't have the pen with me right now but here are some close-up pictures of the wood.

end grain
AB-2.jpg
face grain
AB-1.jpg
small plate I made a couple of years ago
AB-plate.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom