2020 Slimline Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred Bruche

Howdy fellow pen crafters, pen makers, and artists,

Here are the rules for the 2020 BASH - Slimline Contest. In addition to the Universal Contest Rules, the following rules apply:

Pen kit/component hardware
- Entries for this contest must use ALL the components that are included in the little bags that constitute the kit's hardware (for example custom center bands are not allowed).
- To widen the range of choices, the hardware must be for a double-barrel pen or pencil and use 7mm brass tubes. These include slimline but also some derivative such as Funline, Euro, Comfort, probably a few others I am not aware of. In doubt, please ask ahead of time.
- Ballpoints and pencils are acceptable entries.

Blank Material
- Your blank material can be any material, wood, plastics, metal, but no cast in place, no mixed wood and plastics, no segmenting, no embellishment (inlay, overlay, stickers, laser,…) is allowed.
- Stabilized wood is allowed.
- Dyes, stains, pigmentation, paints, or any other colorants are allowed.

Photographs
- You may submit up to 2 photos of your pen.
- An 800 x 600 size picture will provide enough space to show details of your work. Consider placing your pen diagonally to maximize the space. The contest chair reserves the right to resize photographs or slightly crop them to achieve a consistent image size.
- You may use a commercially available, clear plastic pen stand as a prop, or a small off-cut of the blank material as a prop, no props is fine too. A human body part is not an acceptable prop.
- To better highlight your pen a plain single-colored background is typically the best.

To Enter
Submit your entry by email to "SlimlinePen@penturners.org" and include the following with your entry:
- Your Name, Username, email address
- The material you chose to use
- Maximum two pictures.
- A brief description is you feel it brings some interesting points (finish for example).

Do not post your entry in this thread. One entry per person.

Entries for The Slimline Contest will be accepted starting February 1st, 2020, and ending February 16th, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern.
Please send a private message after you submit your entry to help ensure that your entry has been received.

Voting will start on February 17th and will be open for 7 days. Prizes will be awarded at the end of the voting period based on the number of votes for the first, second and third places.

First place -Silver pen kit from Silver Pen Kits $100
Second place -Penblanks from Ohio Penworks -$55 and Blanks from JohnU $35
Third place - Prize package from Exotic Blanks -$50

Any questions regarding the rules? Please post in this thread or send me a PM.

No need to wait until the last day to submit, by repeated personal experiences it is clear that Murphy is always lurking in some corner of the shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred Bruche

If you need a nudge to get you started on your submission (or taking pictures of it) you should have a peek at the unbelievable prize list 😳 o_OBest return on investment ever!!
(Many thanks to Michael, Michael, John, Dawn and Ed!!)

Fred Bruche

Quick heads-up, it's going to be hard to choose the top entries, so be prepared to pour yourself a glass of something strong to gather the courage to do it. o_O A little over 2 days left to enter, ladies and gents get away from that computer and go back to your lathe and blank box!!
@Carl Pepka I'm still waiting for your entry! :rolleyes:😅

Last edited:

Fred Bruche

Dont-Be-a-Fool.jpg

ecrouse

Dang, just saw this and tossed a couple chunks of oak in the vac chamber. Hope I can get something together in time to play.

Fred Bruche

Bad news, only a little over 8 hours left.
Good news #1, you can still get an entry finished before the deadline (probably best to use CA to glue the tubes at this point 😅)
Good news #2, we currently have more than 20 entries!! Which means at least 2 rounds of voting! 🥳🎉

Fred Bruche

I just learned that was volunteered for an impromptu business trip tomorrow (very early) morning, I need to get some sleep and I won't be able to stay up tonight to set up the voting. Sooooo I'll accept entries to the contest until tomorrow Monday, February 17th, 2020 until 11:59am EST.

Fred Bruche

There were a total of 23 awesome entries!! I am working on setting up the voting, it will take me at least an hour to finish up. Stay tuned!
Thank you to all the participants and please y'all show your appreciation by voting once the poll is up!

Top Bottom