• Entry 6

• Entry 7

• Entry 8

• Entry 9

• Entry 10

• Entry 11

• Entry 12

• Entry 13

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

darrin1200

Welcome to the voting for the 2020 Kitless Champion.
I think we have a record number of entries this year 13 total, that's fabulous.

As per the IAP standing rules, with over 10 entries, I will be doing a 2 round vote. In this round, you are asked to pick your top 3 entries that you want to see move forward.
I have stripped all the personal info from the photos and entry descriptions. If I missed something, let me know.
I have also adjusted all photos to be equal sized along the longest edge.
The entry descriptions are as they were given to me. If anyone has questions or needs clarifications regarding the descriptions, please let me know.
I have randomized the order of the entries so they don't match their submission order. Each entry will have its own post, with a corresponding number in the voting poll.

Now peruse carefully and choose your favorites.
The Round One Poll will be open for three days, closing on Thursday at 9:55pm EST

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

Entry 1

Two blanks were used, both casted with liquid diamonds epoxy resin and mica powders.
The main blank used for the body, cap, and section is a combination of black and interference micas.
The metal pieces are brass.
The fountain pen triplet is Jowo #6.

Entry 01 2A.jpg
Entry 01 2B.jpg
Entry 01 2C.jpg

darrin1200

Entry 2

My entry is a piston syringe filler made with a special color Tim McKenzie diamond cast blank.
The piston is made of two o-rings and an acetal plunger connected to a brass rod.
The thumb pad on the other end is also acetal.
The black threaded coupler has a slot milled in it to use snap ring pliers to tighten it in place.
The black Alumilite cap has a hand made Aluminum clip. I really like the Visconti Homo Sapiens clip and took my inspiration from that. I cut the clip from a 1/8 thick aluminum sheet with a coping saw and jeweler's saw. Then I finished it with files, wet sanding and polishing. The clip has a hook on it the connects over a slot in the cap.
All threads were cut with tap and dies.
The pen has a #5 Schmidt nib.

Entry 02 1A.jpg
Entry 02 1B.jpg
Entry 02 1C.jpg

darrin1200

Entry 3
Click Ballpoint - Lady's Purse Pen (no clip)

This pen was made from one purchased Alumilite blank, and a purchased Schmidt SKM-192 clicker.
The three photos show the pen 1) with refill retracted, 2) with refill extended, and 3) disassembled
(as necessary, for example, for refill replacement).
The parts that I did not make are the refill, spring, and the Schmidt click mechanism.

My work consisted of designing the barrels, including the various drill holes to ensure
perfect fit by holding the various components in position, shaping the barrels on a lathe,
and polishing the barrel exteriors (Aluminite does not take a great shine).
I also made the fitting required to properly hold the Schmidt mechanism in the upper barrel.
The upper and lower barrels can be separated (to faciliate refill replacement) via a threaded
joint which was made with an M10 x 0.75 mm metric tap and die set.

In addition, I made a second pushbutton from leftover blank material. It is shown on a second
Schmidt click mechanism and can be fitted if desired. But I prefer the plated button shown on

the pen, because it adds a nice contrast to the rest of the pen.

Entry 03 1A.JPG
Entry 03 1B.JPG
Entry 03 1C.JPG

darrin1200

Entry 4

Pen material, body is Acetate, finials, cap and nib section are German ebonite. All metal is Argentium silver sheet. Only purchased parts are the nib and feed.

Roll stop is set with a pink Tourmaline faceted by me and set by me. Nib is a #6 Jowo.

Entry 04 2A.jpg
Entry 04 2B.jpg
Entry 04 2C.jpg

darrin1200

Entry 5

The stained glass , NO CLIP, with pale green end caps.

I turned and threaded this on my minimetal 7 x 16 micromark. 100% of all work was performed by myself.

The pen consists of all purchased materials.
* The main body and main cap parts and section are acrylic from IAP source
* The body end cap, threaded section on body with shoulder and finial are pale green ebonite from IAP source
* Pilot g2 gel ink from amazon
* Spring from exotic blanks

Body to cap threads are M12 x .75
Section threads are M9 x .75
Finial threads are M10 x 1.0 (epoxy secured)
Body end cap threads are M10 x 1.0 (epoxy secured)
Body threaded section w/shoulder are M13 x 1.0 ( epoxy secured)

Length from top of cap to bottom of body - approximately 152mm

Body and cap width - approximately 16.60mm tapering down to approximately 15.20mm

Entry 05 2A.jpg
Entry 05 2B.jpg
Entry 05 2C.jpg

darrin1200

Entry 6

This is a 'Faux' Negoro style fountain pen.
The pen body, cap, and section are made from Japanese ebonite turned to size and shape on metal and wood lathes.
Threading was done manually using taps and dies. The cap and body threading is triple start.
The pen uses a standard ink converter and is fitted with a Bock #5 nib section.
The pen is finished with urushi in the tranditional Negoro style (twenty layers of lacquer were applied over about 6 weeks), although it departs from the usual Negoro nuri in that multiple transparent layers were added on top of the colored layers and then polished by hand.

Entry 06 1A.jpg
Entry 06 1B.jpg
Entry 06 1C.jpg

darrin1200

Entry 7

The smoke and copper fleck blank was cast in house with Alumilite. It is a gradient, being darker on the barrel with a lighter cap.
The gradient is cast into the singular blank used for the pen.

The nib is a standard #6 polished stainless steel nib that has a permanent, custom coating in a copper rose gold finish.
The pen uses a K5 Schmidt cartridge converter or can be eyedroppered.

Entry 07 1A.jpg
Entry 07 1B.jpg
Entry 07 1C.jpg

darrin1200

Entry 8

I have made a Kitless Rollerball Bullet Pen with a threaded cap.

I used 3 brass cartridges made by Winchester, 2 of which are 458 Magnums and a 30-06, and a 30 cal. 190 grain copper Sierra bullet.
I made a die out of some stainless rod to expand the 458 cases slightly, to fit over the 30-06 cartridge.
I turned 2 aluminium adapters to enable it all to fit together, they are both held inside the 458 cartridges by an inhex stainless steel screw, which fits into the firing cap recess after it is machined out to suit.
The adapter for the pen barrel has a 9mm male thread cut on it which screws into the end of the 30-06 cartridge which has a 9mm female thread, this can be unscrewed to replace the rollerball cartridge.
The adapter for the cap is drilled out and tapped with a 9mm thread to suit the 9mm thread which I cut on the neck of the 30-06 cartridge. The cap unscrews with 2.5 turns.
I made the clip from some 1mm thick stainless sheet. I milled a slot in the 458 cap cartridge for the clip to sit in, and the clip has a hole for the stainless screw to clamp it under the aluminium cap adapter.

It all has been buffed and polished, and given a coat of Canauba wax, the pen will develop a lovely patina with use.

Entry 08 1A.jpg
Entry 08 1B.jpg
Entry 08 1C.jpg

darrin1200

Entry 9

The red fountain pen / rollerball with gold clip.

I turned and threaded this on my minimetal 7x16 micromark. 100% of all work was performed by myself.

The pen consists of all purchased materials.
* The main body and main cap parts are red & black ebonite from IAP source
* The body end cap & center band, the cap finial, fountain pen section, rollerball section are all red & white ebonite from IAP source
* Gold plated brass pocket clip from IAP source
* Bock #6 red lacquer nib from beaufort ink
* Schmidt rollerball and spring from exotic blanks

Body to cap threads are M12 x .75
Section threads are M9 x .75
Finial threads are 3/8 ( remains loose for now though I plan to epoxy it)
Body end cap threads are M10 x 1.0 (epoxy used to secure)
Body center band threads are M12 x .75 ( epoxy used to secure)

Length from top of cap to bottom of body - approximately 156mm
Body and cap width - approximately 16mm

I attempted a few times to fabricate a pocket clip using 2 butter knives and 1 spoon...just wasn't going to happen, yet .

Entry 09 1A.jpg
Entry 09 1B.jpg
Entry 09 1C.jpg

Last edited:

darrin1200

Entry 10

I made this pen of rosewood.
I threaded the wood with double threads.
Turned it, drew the ridges, and sculpted 8 facets (so that they always align) with rasps and files.
Sanded, polished and dipped in BLO.
I added a roll stop.
Cap, barrel and roll stop are topped with a white mother-of-pearl dot.
I only bought the
Jowo nib and the converter.

Entry 10 1A.jpg
Entry 10 1B.jpg
Entry 10 1C.jpg

darrin1200

Entry 11

Pen material
Body Italian resin,
Finials and nib section Vintage Tiffany Casein,
Metal is Argentium Silver.
Only purchased parts are the nib and feed.

Clip is a grapevine theme and has a Grape Agate specimen set in it, all silver work done by myself from sheet and wire. Nib is a Jowo #6

Entry 11 1A.jpg
Entry 11 1B.jpg
Entry 11 1C.jpg

darrin1200

Entry 12

This is my kitless pen submission. The fountain pen was made from the many materials (Listed at the end) to the dimensions described at the end as well. The unique thing that I was trying to accomplish was to create something beautiful both on the outside and inside. The barrel of the pen was a clear resin to start with and was hand painted with silver paint first, giving it a textured look underneath. Then several thin layers of a clear red paint were applied. And finally the abalone strips were cut and placed on top of the painted barrel. Then a final layer of red paint was applied on top. Then the red paint that was on top of the abalone was sanded off to expose the yellow of the shell again. A clear coat was applied on top to protect it all and sanded and buffed to perfection. The neat thing is that the barrel remains translucent. There was a small part in the front of the barrel that was kept clear on purpose to create an ink window (functional) and also at the end to see the red of the extended part of the converter (aesthetics).

This pen can be filled in two different ways. You can unscrew the nib section and fill it like normal with the converter. If you do this you will see the beauty within. I also hand painted the converter with several layers of the same red and also some black paint. I tried blending both colors together so there was a nice transition. The paints are translucent in color as well. Next, gold leaf was applies on top of the paint. Finally a clear coat was applied to protect the paint. The front of the converter was left clear so that one could still see the ink level through the ink window. The other option for filling the pen is that you can unscrew the blind cap to reveal the red extension of the converter and fill it like you would a piston filler. There is no worry about the converter coming off because a K6 converter which was threaded into the nib section.
I thought it was very fitting to fit the pen with a bock red nib and also has a stainless steel clip. Thanks for looking.

This pen was made from a variety of materials:
Vintage French Acetate
Clear resin
Omas Bologna Pearl Grey Acrylate
Red resin for extending the converter
Paint
Gold Leaf
Abalone shell
#6 Bock nib
K6- Threaded converter
Stainless Steel clip

Dimensions of the pen are as follows:
Length: 5.5 inches
CAP diameter at largest point : 16.8 mm

Body Diameter at largest point : 15.5 mm
The threads of the pen are 14 mm

Entry 12 1A.jpg
Entry 12 1B.jpg
Entry 12 1C.jpg

darrin1200

Entry 13

Two blanks were used, both home-casted with liquid diamonds epoxy resin.
For the body, cap and section a combination of 3 mica colors (black and 2 in the purple range).
For the finials and coupler a combination of 5 interference mica.
The fountain pen triplet is Jowo #6.

Musical ambiance while making it, mostly Prince and, yes, Purple Rain

Entry 13 1A.jpg
Entry 13 1B.jpg
Entry 13 1C.jpg

bsshog40

Wow will have to wait to get on the computer for these. Too nice to be looking on a small ph screen.

Angela S

I kinda feel attacked that I can only pick 3 in the beginning. I am not sure I am ready for the impossible task that will be the final vote.

darrin1200

The voting is done. It was an incredible turn out, with 160 voters. I am not going to reveal the numbers, but the top six will be set up in a new poll tomorrow. I want the finals to be open over the weekend.

I will set up a runner up thread the entries in position 7 through 13. I won't include numbers, but I will place them in order.

Thanks again to all the participants, and will talk to you again tomorrow.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom