2020 BASH - Slimline Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred Bruche

Howdy fellow pen crafters, pen makers, and artists,

Here are the rules for the 2020 BASH - Slimline Contest. In addition to the Universal Contest Rules, the following rules apply:

Pen kit/component hardware
- Entries for this contest must use ALL the components that are included in the little bags that constitute the kit's hardware (for example custom center bands are not allowed).
- To widen the range of choices, the hardware must be for a double-barrel pen or pencil and use 7mm brass tubes. These include slimline but also some derivative such as Funline, Euro, Comfort, probably a few others I am not aware of. In doubt, please ask ahead of time.
- Ballpoints and pencils are acceptable entries.

Blank Material
- Your blank material can be any material, wood, plastics, metal, but no cast in place, no mixed wood and plastics, no segmenting, no embellishment (inlay, overlay, stickers, laser,…) is allowed.
- Stabilized wood is allowed.
- Dyes, stains, pigmentation, paints, or any other colorants are allowed.

Photographs
- You may submit up to 2 photos of your pen.
- An 800 x 600 size picture will provide enough space to show details of your work. Consider placing your pen diagonally to maximize the space. The contest chair reserves the right to resize photographs or slightly crop them to achieve a consistent image size.
- You may use a commercially available, clear plastic pen stand as a prop, or a small off-cut of the blank material as a prop, no props is fine too. A human body part is not an acceptable prop.
- To better highlight your pen a plain single-colored background is typically the best.

To Enter
Submit your entry by email to: "Email address tba" and include the following with your entry:
- Your Name, Username, email address
- The material you chose to use
- Maximum two pictures.
- A brief description is you feel it brings some interesting points (finish for example).

Do not post your entry in this thread. One entry per person.

Please send a private message after you submit your entry to help ensure that your entry has been received.

Entries for The Slimline Contest will be accepted starting February 1st, 2020, and ending February 16th, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern.

Please post questions in this thread.

No need to wait until the last day to submit, by repeated personal experiences it is clear that Murphy is always lurking in some corner of the shop.

Prizes to be announced

(Most of these rules are inspired by current and previous contest rules, please send comments if something isn't right or if I missed something)

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

Blank Material
- Your blank material can be any material, wood, plastics, metal, but no casting, no mixed wood and plastics, no segmenting, no embellishment (inlay, overlay, stickers, laser,…) is allowed.
- Stabilized wood is allowed.
- Dyes, stains, pigmentation, paints, or any other colorants are allowed.

Over all, I think the rules look good. The only thing I am wondering about is the blank materials. I understand that the spirit of the rule is to keep this as the slim contest, not casting, segmenting etc. But there are a lot of commercially available cast blanks, (not hybrid blanks). These would be no different than buying a piece of stabilized wood.
Not trying to open a debate, just offering my 2 cents and wondering if it could be worded to allow commercially available solid "plastic" blanks.

Fred Bruche

Over all, I think the rules look good. The only thing I am wondering about is the blank materials. I understand that the spirit of the rule is to keep this as the slim contest, not casting, segmenting etc. But there are a lot of commercially available cast blanks, (not hybrid blanks). These would be no different than buying a piece of stabilized wood.
Not trying to open a debate, just offering my 2 cents and wondering if it could be worded to allow commercially available solid "plastic" blanks.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback Darrin!
I thought about your point and unless I misunderstood, wouldn't these cast blanks fall under plastic? I could be thinking about that wrong, plastic is a vague designation. Maybe the wording should be plastic/resin? Do you have any particular example in mind that wouldn't be covered?

darrin1200

Thanks a bunch for the feedback Darrin!
I thought about your point and unless I misunderstood, wouldn't these cast blanks fall under plastic? I could be thinking about that wrong, plastic is a vague designation. Maybe the wording should be plastic/resin? Do you have any particular example in mind that wouldn't be covered?
I think it's more about saying no castings.
There are a lot of comercially available alumilite blanks made by artisans. Jonathan Brooks comes immediately to mind. These are castings, but are readily available to everyone, just like the acrylic acetates. Since these are comercially available "plastics" then they would be allowed.
The question becomes, that if these are allowed, then if I make my own solid resin blank at home I should be able to use it, because it's the same.
Keep in mind that I'm talking pure resin , not resins with other materials mixed in.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The "no casting" part is definitely going to get you a lot of negative responses and no entries. If I cast a 3 color or more blank I cant use it? I think you may want to reword it to say no castings with inbeded items, if that was what you meant.

magpens

If I can chirp in, .... I think that "no casting" is quite explicit, and I would interpret that to mean that blanks from all "casters" are excluded, whether the caster is the contest entrant or a person who sells a blank that he/she has cast. . So blanks from Jonathan, Tim, and others are not allowed. And I think that is quite reasonable because, obviously, a blank cast in Liquid Diamonds by Tim has more visual appeal that an AA blank.

The onus for beauty should be solely on the contest entrant. . I know there are holes in my argument, but you have to draw the line somewhere.
An AA blank has "at its birth" gone through a process akin to casting.

One could also think of burls versus "plain" woods, I suppose, and clearly a burl has an advantage over a plain wood.

Last edited:

Fred Bruche

I get it now and I agree with y'all. Micheal, please replace the "no casting" by "no castings with embedded items" from the blank description in the final version. Thank you all for your help! Ladies and gents, start your lathes!!

Tilt

I will enter using a 7mm slimline. Wood only, no casting=no questions. I am a bit confused on the email address, "Email address tba" is this to be announced? I figure it as you can't win if you don't enter.

…..sam

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The reason that TBA is posted in the rules is that we have to generate an email address for the contest and forward it to the chairmen of that contest. An active email address will be posted/edited in when its ready.

Tilt

The reason that TBA is posted in the rules is that we have to generate an email address for the contest and forward it to the chairmen of that contest. An active email address will be posted/edited in when its ready.
That's what I thought, but some of us southern boys you nearly have to draw a picture. duh...whad he say.

Fred Bruche

I cant wait. When does it end?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

The rules have been reposted and updated in the official thread for the slimline BASH contest here

The deadline for entries is February 16th, 2020 at 11:59 p.m EST.
Looking forward to your entry, Ben.

Top Bottom