2020 BASH Puzzle Contest Winners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
We had a total of 58 players in our puzzle contests this year.

I will announce the specific prizes after I return from my trip to Hawaii, but I wanted to post the winners list as soon as possible:

We had 10 individual contests and each person who had at least one correct entry in an individual contest was entered into a drawing for one of the two prizes available for that contest. Here are the 20 individual prize winners:
Puzzle #1 -- Monty (Mannie Steglich) and KLJ (Keith Sizemore)
Puzzle #2 -- gersh (Billy Elliott) and Coulcd (Chris Coul)
Puzzle #3 -- Seer (Jerry Linton) and Jesse Pens (Jesse Hottovy)
Puzzle #4 -- Gundoc (Larry Nab) and greenacres2 (Earl McLain)
Puzzle #5 -- alanemorrison (Alan Morrison) and kylemadeit (Kyle Rivard)
Puzzle #6 -- Steve J (Steven Johnson) and alankulwicki7 (Doug Swanson)
Puzzle #7 -- Cole Roberts (Cole Roberts) and JustSteve (Steve Levasseur)
Puzzle #8 -- BarryE (Barry Elings) and bmac (Bobby McCarley)
Puzzle #9 -- Hannah (Hannah Wise-Maas) and gimpy (Terry Gearheart)
Puzzle #10 -- dehn0045 (Sam Dehn) and southernclay (Warren Welch)

We also had 12 players who entered at least one contest but did not get a singe correct entry. Those players were entered into a drawing for two "Puzzle Losers Prizes". Those WINNERS are:
WriteOn (Frank Goldblatt) and
1080Wayne (Wayne Richardson)

It was possible to earn up to 14 points in the puzzle contests. We had 5 players who earned at least 10 points. Barely missing out on one of the grand prizes, but earning honorable mention for their efforts were BarryE (Barry Elings) with 10 points and alankulwicki7 (Doug Swanson) with 10.75 points.

Our 3 grand prize winners were:

In Third Place with 11 Points is Coulcd (Chris Coul)

In Second Place, also with 11 Points is KLJ (Keith Sizemore). Keith got the tie-breaker points in Puzzle #10.

and In First Place, with 12 points, earning the title of 2020 BASH PUZZLEMEISTER is
Dehn0045 (Sam Dehn)

I'm sure that you guys were keeping track of your own points. If your totals do not agree with mine, please let me know and I will be glad to review my notes and make things right if I made any mistakes. I try to be careful as I compile the individual puzzle results, but with so many puzzles and entrants, mistakes are possible.

Thanks to all who participated. I hope you enjoyed the puzzles.
Edgar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

I made the list!!! Now i have to look up Puzzle 4 to see how i got a correct answer.

Edgar--thanks for running these. For those who haven't given the puzzles a shot--it's a great way to see some of the incredible talent that graces this organization. I usually spend too much time searching the archives and library to get no answers to the original question, but i ALWAYS come away with ideas and techniques that i'd have never seen without taking a stab at the puzzles.
Congrats to all the winners--and to the rest who entered as well!!
earl

KLJ

Thank you to all that have provided the gifts and the effort to make this possible.
Congratulations to all the winners.
Edgar I can not imagine how much effort and time it takes to put all this on. Thank you just doesn't seem to be enough.

Tripletmom

Thanks for coordinating Edgar- I definitely learned how to navigate this site better as an added benefit. πŸ‘

southernclay

Woo hoo! Congrats to all the winners, especially the top 3. Edgar, thank you as always for making this so much fun. I haven't had any shop time this year so the puzzles helped scratch the itch a little.

Fred Bruche

We also had 12 players who entered at least one contest but did not get a singe correct entry. Those players were entered into a drawing for two "Puzzle Losers Prizes". Those WINNERS are:
WriteOn (Frank Goldblatt) and
1080Wayne (Wayne Richardson)

Darn, I didn't realize there was a prize for that!! I would have definitely been a major contender for that one!!
πŸ˜…

Dehn0045

Wow, I'm honored to have my name among the Puzzlemeister greats! I knew the competition would be fierce, it definitely required a fair bit of luck along with more time than I'd like to admit. I really enjoy the pen search puzzles - I've only been here 3 years so it is fun to root around in the archives. I'm always amazed by the creativity and craftsmanship of IAP members, many who are still involved around here and others that have moved on for various reasons.

Edgar - thanks for all of the time and effort that you put into making this happen. The puzzles you come up with are always creative and fun, maybe a little (lot) frustrating at times!

Also thanks to all of those that support the BASH by donating prizes. I'm happy to give up my seat on the losers train this year!

alankulwicki7

Hey Edgar,

Thanks for running the contests again. I was surprised to see that I was that close considering I missed a couple of answers πŸ˜‰. Where did I get the .75 points?

Glad that I was able to win one of the prizes and look forward to receiving it!

Thanks again for the challenges!
Doug

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Hey Edgar,

Thanks for running the contests again. I was surprised to see that I was that close considering I missed a couple of answers πŸ˜‰. Where did I get the .75 points?

Glad that I was able to win one of the prizes and look forward to receiving it!

Thanks again for the challenges!
Doug

You got 1.75 points on puzzle #5 Doug. Each of the 4 answers was worth a half point & you got the second question half right, so I awarded you 0.25 points on that one.

The bottom part of the pen was made from corian & guitar picks. You got the guitar picks but left out the corian.

If you had gotten full credit on that one, there would have been a 3-way tie for second place. Two of you got the tie-breaker credit, so I would have had to go to my second & possibly third tie breakers. Kinda glad I didn't have to do that. πŸ˜‰

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Looks like I won't be on the losers train for the first time in a long time.
Thank you Ed for running this great event for the Bash.

alankulwicki7

You got 1.75 points on puzzle #5 Doug. Each of the 4 answers was worth a half point & you got the second question half right, so I awarded you 0.25 points on that one.

The bottom part of the pen was made from corian & guitar picks. You got the guitar picks but left out the corian.

If you had gotten full credit on that one, there would have been a 3-way tie for second place. Two of you got the tie-breaker credit, so I would have had to go to my second & possibly third tie breakers. Kinda glad I didn't have to do that. πŸ˜‰

Thanks for the clarification, Edgar. The corian part of the bottom looked gray or green to me so I thought you were only looking for the accent stripe 😲. Glad I could help you out πŸ˜‰

JustSteve

Fantastic! Congratulations to all the winners. It was a lot of fun and I sure learned a lot about this site still some things I never found but it was an adventure searching through all the beautiful works of art on this site.

Thanks Edgar for running this contest! And a big thank you to all who donate to the contests! I look forward to learning a lot more from this site in the year ahead!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
OOPS -- I made a mistake when compiling the scores. As it turns out, Keith and Sam both earned 12 points and both got the tie breaker points for Puzzle #10, so we actually wound up with a tie for first place this year.

So the revised grand prize awards are:

In a First Place tie with 12 Points are KLJ (Keith Sizemore) and Dehn0045 (Sam Dehn). Keith and Sam can both claim the title of 2020 BASH Puzzle Meister.

Sorry about the oversight guys.

Dehn0045

No worries Edgar, I knew Puzzle #1 would haunt me -- OSAGE ORANGE!

Did I miss the answers for #3 and #8? I'm sure I missed something on #3 -- but wondering if I got tricked on #8

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Dagnabbit, Sam -- I made the same mistake in your tabulation that I did in Keith's. I didn't give either of you a point for Puzzle #9. So here we go again with a third shot at the grand prize winners:

In Second Place, also with 12 Points is KLJ (Keith Sizemore).

and In First Place, with 13 points, earning the title of 2020 BASH PUZZLEMEISTER is Dehn0045 (Sam Dehn)

Sorry, Keith -- unless I made some other mistake, your share of the Puzzle Meister title was short lived.

Edgar

coulcd

Am I in first yet?

Next year I'll make sure not to plan travel during the puzzle contest. Lack of time cost me on the last puzzle. Thanks again Edgar and to everyone who donated prizes. It was fun and challenging as always.

Congrats to Sam and Keith!

KLJ

Sorry, Keith -- unless I made some other mistake, your share of the Puzzle Meister title was short lived.
[/QUOTE
Congratulations again Sam and thanks again Edgar for all the effort no need to be sorry. I am happy to have won anything. The puzzles are challenging, instructive, and sometimes frustrating. Looking forward to next year

Kylemadeit

My name is up there!! Woooooo hoo I can't believe it.
Thank you to everyone that made this possible, especially Edgar. This was my first birthday bash and I learned a ton while searching for answers.

bmac

Got my box of blanks from Jeff_in_AZ, some very nice blanks. Thanks Jeff and thank you Edgar for hosting the puzzle contest. It was a lot of fun and I look forward to next year. The IAP just keeps getting better and better every year and I think it's one of the best forums on the internet, a great group of people.

Attachments

• Pen Blanks1.jpg
    Pen Blanks1.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 168
Top Bottom