2020 BASH - Kitless Pen Contest Rules

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

2020 BASH - Kitless Contest UpDated Rules

In addition to the rules laid out here, all IAP "Universal Contest Rules" apply. You can find them and read them Here.

The Kitless contest, is here to push your abilities to the edge. The spirit of the contest is to leave the restrictions of purchased parts behind and break open your creativity.

Your kitless entry may be any style writing implement. Fountain pen, ballpoint pen, pencil……etc. That is for you to decide.

There are no restrictions on tools or techniques or raw materials. Everything is allowed as long as you are the one doing the work. Even CNC and 3D printing is permitted, as long as you are the one who created the drawing, the files and the code to create the part. Any material or blank may be used as long as you identify where it came from. In other words, you can use a custom poured pen blank, as long as you identify who it came from.

You are encouraged to make as many of the parts for your entry as possible. It is understood, that some parts, require such specialized skills and machinery, that it is only practical to purchase them commercially. These include the following

• Fountain pen triplet (nib, feed and housing)
  • Ball point twist or click mechanism.
  • Fountain pen converters, sacs or pressure bars.
  • Ballpoint and Rollerball refills
  • Metal tubing
  • Any required springs

• Although I strongly urge everyone to try making there own, I have decided to allow commercial clips to be used. If you really have to.
All other components must be produced by you. No parts, other than those listed above, may cannibalized from either pen kits or commercial pens.

At the time of voting, it will be highly stressed, that your entries be judged based on
  • Creativity
  • Design
  • Fit and Finish
  • And of course, looks. We all like a pretty pen!
All entries must be new creations. This means, that they have never been displayed, discussed or previewed in any forum, social media or exposition. If you have any questions or doubt about your entries qualification, please feel free to contact me.

To Enter:

Submit your entry by email to: "Email address to be announced" and include the following with your entry:

• Name, IAP Username, email address,
  • A short statement that clearly explains what YOU did to make the pen. Any special features should be explained to ensure they don't get overlooked by the voters. Also identify any parts and materials not created by you such as custom pen blanks.
  • 3 pictures of your pen
    • Consider a photograph size of 800 x 600 as ideal. The contest chair reserves the right to resize photographs or slightly crop them to achieve a consistent image size.
    • You may use a, commercially available, clear plastic pen stand as a prop.
    • No other props are allowed.
    • Use a single-colored, plain background. The color and intensity of the background affects the highlights of your pen. The background should let your pen stand out, not interfere with it.
    • No montages, watermarks, or any other identifying marks that might reveal the identity of the maker.
Contest entries will be accepted beginning on February 1, 2020 and will be open until Saturday, Feb. 20th, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. EST

Entries will be limited to a maximum of 2 per member.

Do not post your entry in this thread

Prizes:

First –TBA
Second - TBA
Third - TBA

If you have any questions you may post them here or PM me.

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

I would love any input or suggestions regarding my rules or the way I have presented them. Truth be told, I kinda stole a some ideas from a few of you guys.;)

Will we be given an IAP email to receive entries, or should we use our own.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
They look fine Darrin - Last year (and I believe in previous BASH's) Mike or Jeff set up and assigned an email account for each contest without any work on our part.

Mr Vic

darrin1200

My intention is Yes, it should also be handmade, although a clip is not required. A clipless pen or a roll stopper are good alternatives.
It took me a while to get up the nerve to try making my first clip. Once I did however I realized that, while time consuming, it did not have any special required skill set.

darrin1200

My intention is Yes, it should also be handmade, although a clip is not required. A clipless pen or a roll stopper are good alternatives.
It took me a while to get up the nerve to try making my first clip. Once I did however I realized that, while time consuming, it did not have any special required skill set.

Do you guys feel I am asking to much by requiring that clips, if used, be handmade?

PenHog

My vote would be to mimic last year's rules which I *think* stated that a commercial clip could be used if the ring was hidden; see below.

But I'm very biased, since I don't have the skill set to make a clip, and requiring clips to be handmade certainly does raise the bar (which is a good thing).

If we go with a roll stop, what is allowed? For example, could you purchase a stud earring and use that?

Same question for the clip - can we, for example, cut the handle off a small spoon and use that material?

--------

"You are encouraged to make as many of the parts for your entry as possible. However, you may use a commercially made clip if you hide the ring, or you may eliminate the clip or make one yourself. Roll Stoppers are an excellent alternative to clips and something you might want to consider."

darrin1200

@PenHog

You make a very valid point. If I allow commercially purchased roll stops, then I must allow commercial clips.
I just really want to try and push people. Perhaps a bonus/penalty system that would reward those that push the limits.

Example

Commmercial parts openly permitted
  • Metal tubing
  • Any required springs
Bonus Points
  • Handmade clip or rollstop +5 votes
  • Handmade nosecone or fountain pen section +5 votes
  • Handmade visible click pen button +5 votes
Penalty Points
  • Commercial Clip or Rollstop -5 votes
  • Commercial nosecone or fountain pen section -5 votes
  • Commercial visible click button -5 votes

This would give members an incentive to at least try there hand at the custom parts. But if they, say opt to go clipless, they wont gain the bonus but they also wont incur the penalty. But how hard is it to add some handmade piece as a rollstop, gain +5.

I have tried to think of this to keep it even between fountain pens and ballpoint/rollerball. My hope is that, ultimately, all components visible on the pen are handmade.

How does that sound?

PenHog

Hi Darrin,

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to complicate things, or even make a point. Your proposal sounds reasonable to me, but I'm new to this process and don't have a baseline, unfortunately. Anyway, I'm happy with whatever you and the other organizers decide.

My questions were really for clarification as to what counts as "made by ourselves". In the spoon handle case, I didn't fabricate the metal, but it's also not a commercially purchased clip. Which category of +5, 0, -5 points would that case fall into?

Thanks,
-PH

budnder

For my two cents... I'd say allow purchased clips, and not complicate things with a bonus/penalty system... because I view this contest is primarily about look and design, not about labor hours. If a custom clip adds to your look, you'll be rewarded with more votes.

On the other hand, if you told me at least two thirds of the kitless pen makers on the forum these days do their own clips/roll stops (I don't think it's that high), I guess I'd say that's the common practice and probably should be the rule. Obviously there has to be some rules to differentiate a "kitless" pen from a modified kit.

darrin1200

Hi Darrin,

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to complicate things, or even make a point. Your proposal sounds reasonable to me, but I'm new to this process and don't have a baseline, unfortunately. Anyway, I'm happy with whatever you and the other organizers decide.

My questions were really for clarification as to what counts as "made by ourselves". In the spoon handle case, I didn't fabricate the metal, but it's also not a commercially purchased clip. Which category of +5, 0, -5 points would that case fall into?

Thanks,
-PH

Where you get the material to make a clip, is irrelevant, as long as you are the one that actually makes the clip. So it would be a +5. (maybe an extra +1 for recycling) ;)

I think for the roll stop, I would remove that from the penalty, and reduce the bonus to +2. that way commercial pieces could be used, but you get a bonus for at least stepping away from the standard kit. Surprisingly, depending on the design of the pen, a lot of thought has to go into the stop. I've had some that did not work, due to the shape of the pen.

For my two cents... I'd say allow purchased clips, and not complicate things with a bonus/penalty system... because I view this contest is primarily about look and design, not about labor hours. If a custom clip adds to your look, you'll be rewarded with more votes.

On the other hand, if you told me at least two thirds of the kitless pen makers on the forum these days do their own clips/roll stops (I don't think it's that high), I guess I'd say that's the common practice and probably should be the rule. Obviously there has to be some rules to differentiate a "kitless" pen from a modified kit.

I appreciate your 2 cents Roy. My goal here is to offer some form of incentive for guys to try that next step, not to make it complicated. Although if I have to work a little more to make this happen, I'm happy to. I don't know how many do their own clips, but I would like to see them give it a shot. I make my own clips, but I also have a batch of Triton clips on hand for when I need them.

darrin1200

@mredburn Finalized Rules

2020 BASH - Kitless Contest -These rules have been copied to the original post as updated.-Mike

In addition to the rules laid out here, all IAP "Universal Contest Rules" apply. You can find them and read them Here.

The Kitless contest, is here to push your abilities to the edge. The spirit of the contest is to leave the restrictions of purchased parts behind and break open your creativity.

Your kitless entry may be any style writing implement. Fountain pen, ballpoint pen, pencil……etc. That is for you to decide.

There are no restrictions on tools or techniques or raw materials. Everything is allowed as long as you are the one doing the work. Even CNC and 3D printing is permitted, as long as you are the one who created the drawing, the files and the code to create the part. Any material or blank may be used as long as you identify where it came from. In other words, you can use a custom poured pen blank, as long as you identify who it came from.

You are encouraged to make as many of the parts for your entry as possible. It is understood, that some parts, require such specialized skills and machinery, that it is only practical to purchase them commercially. These include the following

• Metal tubing
  • Any required springs

• Although I strongly urge everyone to try making there own, I have decided to allow commercial clips to be used. If you really have to.
All other components must be produced by you. No parts, other than those listed above, may cannibalized from either pen kits or commercial pens.

At the time of voting, it will be highly stressed, that your entries be judged based on
  • Creativity
  • Design
  • Fit and Finish
  • And of course, looks. We all like a pretty pen!
All entries must be new creations. This means, that they have never been displayed, discussed or previewed in any forum, social media or exposition. If you have any questions or doubt about your entries qualification, please feel free to contact me.

To Enter:

Submit your entry by email to: "Email address to be announced" and include the following with your entry:

• Name, IAP Username, email address,
  • A short statement that clearly explains what YOU did to make the pen. Any special features should be explained to ensure they don't get overlooked by the voters. Also identify any parts and materials not created by you such as custom pen blanks.
  • 3 pictures of your pen
    • Consider a photograph size of 800 x 600 as ideal. The contest chair reserves the right to resize photographs or slightly crop them to achieve a consistent image size.
    • You may use a, commercially available, clear plastic pen stand as a prop.
    • No other props are allowed.
    • Use a single-colored, plain background. The color and intensity of the background affects the highlights of your pen. The background should let your pen stand out, not interfere with it.
    • No montages, watermarks, or any other identifying marks that might reveal the identity of the maker.
Contest entries will be accepted beginning on February 1, 2020 and will be open until Monday Feb. 16th, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. EST

Entries will be limited to a maximum of 2 per member.

Do not post your entry in this thread

Prizes:

First –TBA
Second - TBA
Third - TBA

If you have any questions you may post them here or PM me.

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

PenHog

Thanks for the heads up, Darrin!

As I said, I'd be happy with any set of rules. Really, I think (i) having a community willing to organize such a competition is a great thing, and (ii) it's excellent motivation to set aside time to focus on a "stretch" pen. Regardless of whether I can get something together in time, I'm looking forward to seeing what people are going to put up.

And, my guess is that those pros who make their own clips will be rewarded with more votes anyway, as they should.

Top Bottom