2020 BASH Freestyle Pen Contest Rules

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
It's time to use your imagination and push the boundaries of pen design! The hallmark of this contest is that it allows creative freedom. This is a contest for you to put more emphasis on concept and design rather than function. We are looking for inspirational pens. In years past there have been a gavel, cigars, a light-saber, space ships, medieval weapons, musical instruments, Spongebob, a hat with a feather in it, a pool cue, Steampunk, and others.

Contest Rules:
1. Follow the Universal Contest Rules
2. The pen must write.
3. The pen must have been made by you.
4. You may use any and all tools at your disposal as long as you are the one that operates it (i.e. CNC, Laser, waterjet, foot lathe, stone mill - any and all techniques).
5. Pen kit parts are permitted to be used in the entries, but it is requested that you keep them at a minimum. You will be judged according to your inventiveness.
6. All Entries must be family-friendly, nothing gross, disgusting or vulgar, please.

Entry process:
1. Photograph a maximum of three (3) pictures of t\he pen you would like to enter.
2. Email the photographs to FreestylePen@penturners.org in one of the following file formats: JPG or JPEG. These photographs must be submitted in the standard 800x600 resolution.
3. Photograph your pen against a solid color background. The only item allowed in the photographs other than the pen is a simple pen stand.
4. Include a brief description of your work, along with your name and IAP username.
5. Entries will be accepted beginning Feb 1 through Feb 16, 11:59 pm EST. Submit entries at [email TBA]

Judging:
- Winners will be decided by popular vote.
- A poll will be posted sometime on 2/17/20 and will remain open for voting for 72 hours.

Prizes
First Place: Diamond Blanks from McKenzie Penworks -$105
Second Place: A gift certificate from Robutacion -$50 and A gift certificate from Alumilite -$30
Third Place: A Prize package from Exotic Blanks -$50

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

I'm hoping that there are lots of you spending time in your shops today creating your masterpieces for all of the various contests of the Birthday Bash! We have some real artists in the IAP. This is the time to step out of your comfort zone and push yourself. Give the Freestyle Contest a try. You really have nothing to lose and lots to gain in terms of experience, technique, design, and self-satisfaction.

Let your imagination go and

giphy.gif

show us what ya got!

mbroberg

Only 8 days left to complete and submit your
totally awesome,
"how did you ever come up with that?",
superior WOW factor,
Freestyle Pen!!

We only have one entry so far so the odds of winning something are presently pretty good!!

magpens

You certainly have tried to encourage entries to this contest, Mike. . Very well done on your part !!!

Sorry that the response was not "stellar", but maybe .... next year ! . Or perhaps at the Summer Extravaganza.

I'll keep that animated picture of Bill Nye in my mind and see what "pops up" over the next few months. . I am not the most inventively creative or artistic mind on the planet, but I do like to think about technological challenges ... so we'll see.

Top Bottom