2019 on the IAP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

The question has to be "What can we expect on the IAP forum for 2019?"

This is the start of a brand new year and is a milestone for the site so lets make it special.

Well here is what I would love to see. I would like to see more people join in the conversations and partake in the discussions and offer opinions and or comments. This is what makes us a forum.

I would like to see more people showing things that are out of their comfort zones and things they decided to try because of happening right here. There are a ton of knowledgeable people here willing to share their knowledge and ideas. There is a wealth of information here stored in the library and scattered throughout the many forums here. It is really easy to do searches here despite all the moaning and groaning. If you have problems ask how or check th forum for instructions.

I would like to see more people going beyond the take a blank and spin it. A kid can do this. Cast your own blanks. Their are people here that will help. Segmenting is huge way of dressing a pen and there are talented segmenters that will help. Go kitless. There are those that do lots of this and will help. Then there is the subject that is near and dear to me and that is pen boxes and pen stands. I got Jeff to implement a separate forum years ago dedicated to this. Expand you woodworking abilities and make that special pen and make a stand or box for it. I can share experiences if needed and have over the course I have been here. It is not hard people.

A very good starting point for many of these things to happen is in Feb when we have our annual Bash party to celebrate what Jeff and the forefathers of this site brought before us. Within this party is many contests in all aspects of pen making. It will pit your skils against your peers. It is a way to measure yourself and challenge yourself. There are no losers perse. We all win from the entertainment and the knowledge gain to do better next year.

I know there are many new members joing but the notion that they are all beginners is bunk and has been proven time and time again. They may have been turning for years and either just found us or just picked up penturning. I would like to see these new member stay around and jump in. You did not join to sit on the sidelines. You are not helping us or yourself if wanting to expand your talents.

You have plenty of time to get started on making those special projects to join in the fun next month. No excuses allowed. :):)

I have given my impressions and thoughts for this year. I intend to continue to be part of this great site. I plan on expanding my own ideas and hopefully I can bring some new ideas and challenges to us all here. I assume there are many here that agree with some of these said and maybe others would like to add to what they would like to see happen on the site for the new year.

Anyway Happy New Year and may this one be a special one for all of us and Happy shop time. :):):)

WriteON

I'm inspired to work with Rings. Had no idea of the possibilities. Will make a few basic pieces and then look for something unique. I do appreciate what goes on here. There's lot of talented, creative hands and minds. I enjoy learning on my own but really enjoy what everyone has to offer. Very good thread. And a big thanks to everyone for sharing their ideas and techniques.

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Ok, I'll add my 2p worth. .....
Getting older actually has it's blessings. One of the things that often goes is our memories. We all remember 'The Good Old Days' ....thats because our brains don't like to waste the grey stuff storing the bad stuff. If you do try and hang on to bad memories and bad feelings then you can become very bitter inside. It can eat you up and will most definitely hold you back in so many ways.
If we can't remember why we had a disagreement with someone, then it's probably a good time to let it go and make amends.
I'm not suggesting directly contacting someone or putting them on the spot publically, I mean to do it a little more subtly than that. Things like using the
'like' button can actually send a strong message. Or even contributing positively to a thread started by someone you may have had a past disagreement with.
They will spot it and get the message. And nobody else will be any the wiser.:wink:

You dont then have to become best bosom buddies, you dont even need to ever speak to that person again....but the message has been sent, and acknowledged that there are no hard feelings, which lets you both move on without having to tiptoe around each other anymore.

To prove my point, I will 'like' a thread by my old nemesis JT and see if he can pick up on my subtle vibes to say I forgive him....for not sending me a Christmas card this year. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Top Bottom