2019 IAP BASH Pretty Wood Pen Rules

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

In addition to the Universal Contest Rules, the following rules apply:

Blank Material

-Your blank material must be wood. No plastics, no composites, no metal, no casting, no mixed wood and plastics, nor any material other than wood is allowed.

-No embellishments to the blank are allowed. This means, for example, no inlay, onlay, overlay, stickers, oops bands, CNC, laser art, segmenting, lamination, celtic knots, burning, engraving, or carving is allowed and will cause disqualification.

-Stabilized wood is allowed.

-Dyes, stains, pigmentation, paints, or any other colorants are not allowed.

Pen kit/component hardware

-Any commercially available kit/component hardware may be used, whether ballpoint, fountain, or rollerball.

-No modification to the kit/component hardware is allowed. You must use all parts of the stock kit/component set.

-Kitless pens are not allowed.

Photographs

-Two photographs are required for entry. One photograph must be clip up, nib to the left. The second photograph must be clip up, nib to the right. This gives a view of both sides of the pen. If you do not abide by this constraint, you will be asked to resubmit photographs or risk disqualification.

-Please submit photographs of maximum 800 x 600 or 600 x 800. You should hit this mark, and you are responsible for cropping and sizing your photographs. If you don't meet this requirement, you will be asked to resubmit photographs or risk disqualification.

-You may use a commercially available, clear plastic pen stand as a prop.

-No other props are allowed.

-Use a single-colored, plain background. The color and intensity of the background affects the highlights of your pen. The background should let your pen stand out, not interfere with it.

-No montages, watermarks, borders or any other identifying marks that might reveal the identity of the maker.

-Here's a set of two photographs that would qualify. They have the clip on the upside of the photo, and nibs to the left and right. They also fit the 800 pixel width limit, though they are short of the 600 pixel height limit. As long as the image "fits" in an 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixel box, it qualifies.

-Clip up, Nib to the left:

attachment.php

-Clip up, nib to the right:

attachment.php

-If I had used a clear plastic pen stand as the prop, I would have oriented the pen so that the final photo showed the pen on a diagonal.

To Enter prettywoodpencontest@penturners.org

Entries for The Pretty Wood Contest will be accepted starting February 8, 2019, and must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. Central on February 18, 2019.

Submit your entry by email to: () and include the following with your entry:

-Name, Username, email address, mailing address in case you win a prize
-the pretty wood you chose to use (please, no stories)
-the two pictures required.

Do not post your entry in this thread

One entry per person

Please send a private message to Brian G after you submit your entry to help ensure that your entry has been received. Don't panic if you don't receive an acknowledgement right away.

Prizes to be announced
Prizes
First - $50 gift Certificate from Georges bits Of Timber., and $50 gift certificate from Turners Warehouse.
Second - $50 gift certificate from Beartooth Woods and rattle snake blanks from ITs_Virgil
Third - BOB from Mike Broberg $50. value
Perhaps some other unexpected prizes TBD

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Question on submitting pictures.

-You may use a commercially available, clear plastic pen stand as a prop.

-No other props are allowed.

I assume you have to use a clear pen stand or noting at all?

bsshog40

So we can't use a homemade clear plastic stand? Like a clear plastic cap or something? Just verifying again. Thanks!

Brian G

No, sorry.

I'm admittedly overly picky about this and a few other things. Over the contests I've run, there are too many "what abouts. . . " that pop up. I just like things simple.

Though I have no vote, I think most pens look better without props or even stands at all.

Brian

Top Bottom