2019 Bash Kitless Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

2019 BASH - Kitless Contest

The Universal Contest Rules apply. You can find them and read them Here

Your kitless entry may be any style pen or pencil you wish to make.

There are no restrictions on tools or techniques or raw materials. Everything is allowed as long as you are the one doing the work.

You are encouraged to make as many of the parts for your entry as possible. However, you may use a commercially made clip if you hide the ring, or you may eliminate the clip or make one yourself. Roll Stoppers are an excellent alternative to clips and something you might want to consider.

You may also use commercial ink / lead system components (e.g. nibs, feeds, transmissions / mechanisms (twist or click), refills, converters, sacs, springs, pressure bars...). You may also use a slimline twist transmission. The use of brass (or other) tubes is allowed.

Nose cones, sections, couplers, finials and center bands from kits or sold separately by vendors are not allowed.

The barrels should be made from materials that have not been modified by an artist other than yourself.

You will judged by
1 - creativity
2 - scope of original work in making the parts
3 - looks, we all like a pretty pen!

To enter, send an email to kitlesspencontest@penturners.org
with
A) 3 pictures of your pen
B) A statement that clearly explains what YOU did to make the pen. Any special features should be explained to insure they don't get overlooked by the voters

Deadline for entry is 10:00 PM, February 20 (Mountain Time).

You may only make one entry.

Prizes (if any) will be announced later.

If you have any questions you may post them here or PM me.

Good Luck.
Prizes
First Place, Diamond Blanks from Mckenzie Pen Works $85.00 value and A PRESSURE POT SHELF FROM BeeAMaker
Second Place, $50 gift certificate from Rockler, and AAW membership from AAW $35 value
Third place, BOB from Karl 99 $50 value

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Looks like I'm out again this year. No power in the shop. And won't be until Spring. :frown: I was really looking forward to making another kitless. Maybe next time.:wink:

MRDucks2

Have your kitless efforts left you feeling Heartless on Valentine's Day, as the deadline grows near? You can still turn a sweetheart of a Pen for the Pretty Resin Pen Contest!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

magpens

Steve,

I sent you an email with a question about this contest.

One thing I need to know is the maximum picture size, in Kbytes, allowed in the contest entry.

Please respond to the email as there is another issue ..... mgrphillips@yahoo.com

Last edited:

MRDucks2

Steve,

One thing I need to know is the maximum picture size, in Kbytes, allowed in the contest entry.

Please respond to the email as there is another issue ..... mgrphillips@yahoo.com

Hey, Mal - no trying to disrupt someone else's contest but if nothing else is stated I would expect Universal BASH Guidelines rule with 800x600 for the photo sizes.

SteveJ

Steve,

Hey, Mal - no trying to disrupt someone else's contest but if nothing else is stated I would expect Universal BASH Guidelines rule with 800x600 for the photo sizes.

Mal had a legitimate question about the contest and the question about the picture size was fair. Although the contest rules say universal bash guidelines apply, it took be a bit of time to find them! I did not feel as though he was disrupting this contest.

magpens

Maybe MrDucks meant to say "not" instead of "no" ... I was not upset ... and I believe he was trying to get me a quick answer.

(EDIT: I see that he and I had been typing simultaneously and that he has acknowledged this typo.)

Problem is, I find it very difficult to find the Universal Rules ... they seem to be tucked away in the "Activities Manager" forum (I think, if I remember right).

And when I did find them, there is NO REFERENCE to picture size there that I can see (but my eyesight is not the best at present as I am waiting for cataract surgery).

Just as a suggestion ... The Universal Rules are VERY important and should be readily accessible to everybody at all times. . They should be referenced .... with a URL link .... in the description of each individual contest.

I appreciate that running the BASH contests is a VERY BIG JOB, but I hope some attention can be given to the organization of contest requirements and information.

I could be "uniquely challenged" in this regard, but I seem to be constantly flipping around among the "Forum", "Forums", "Home", and "Activities Manager" sections, as well as doing searches of various kinds to find information about the BASH contests. . I have been especially frustrated this year, but it could very well be "my unique problem" and nobody else's. . Since the dawn of the computer era, I have experienced these kinds of "digital frustrations" so I want it to be clear that I don't want anyone to take these comments as any kind of personal attack.

To summarize ... could we please put, in every single contest, a URL link referencing the Universal Rules, and can we please assure that these rules are as complete as possible.

The designation of picture size (800 x 600) stated by MrDucks may be an archaic designation and could also be unnecessarily restrictive, given the fact that computer memory resources are no longer the constraint that they were years ago. . Also, my photo editing software does not even list that size as an option when I am resizing my photos

Please, don't anyone get upset at my remarks ... I am just an old fart with failing faculties and a massive hangover from the good ol' days when analog was king and Kodak ruled !!!!! :biggrin::confused::biggrin: .... (trying to introduce some humor and levity along with being puzzled)

Steve,

Mal had a legitimate question about the contest and the question about the picture size was fair. Although the contest rules say universal bash guidelines apply, it took be a bit of time to find them! I did not feel as though he was disrupting this contest.

Last edited:

Curly

Mal there are those of us that are not in a city with fibre optic service. Downloading big pictures apart from overwhelming our screen takes a long time. So to keep things accessible to us and to provide pictures all the same size so the playing field is even would be the reason for the picture size requirements. I'll send you an email with some resizing software that even you can use. ;)

Fred Bruche

The designation of picture size (800 x 600) stated by MrDucks may be an archaic designation and could also be unnecessarily restrictive, given the fact that computer memory resources are no longer the constraint that they were years ago. . Also, my photo editing software does not even list that size as an option when I am resizing my photos

800x600 isn't obsolete, these numbers are in pixels. That's a 4x3 aspect ratio. The file size should be about 200-250KB or so. And that has nothing to do with computer memory, it's about internet posting and uploading speed :)
:smile-big:

magpens

Thanks, Fred. .... I might need you to tell me that again at the time of the next batch of contests !!! :biggrin:

It seems my grasp of things may not be totally out of whack ... I was actually aiming for around 200KB !

But, doing the calc ... 800 x 600 = 480,000 .... so what gives ???????

800x600 isn't obsolete, these numbers are in pixels. That's a 4x3 aspect ratio. The file size should be about 200-250KB or so. And that has nothing to do with computer memory, it's about internet posting and uploading speed :)
:smile-big:

Last edited:

Curly

The 800x600 are pixels. They are the dots on your screen so don't have any relation to the bytes of data that make up the picture. You could have a 500KB picture and a 50KB picture, both fitting in the 800x600 format. The lower sized one will be "grainy" lacking detail.

magpens

So, Curly, are you saying that it makes no sense for me to multiply 800 x 600 ?

But doesn't the "x" mean MULTIPLY ????????????????? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::confused::confused:

The 800x600 are pixels. They are the dots on your screen so don't have any relation to the bytes of data that make up the picture. You could have a 500KB picture and a 50KB picture, both fitting in the 800x600 format. The lower sized one will be "grainy" lacking detail.

Curly

Mal. Mal. Mal. Think "x" as in "by". Like a two by four (I know it really doesn't measure that) or 2x4. You don't math out your pen blanks do you because if you did you can make the same pen out of two blanks. One being 3/4" x 3/4" x 5 1/2" and the other a cube of 1 7/16" a side. :biggrin::biggrin::rolleyes::wink:

Now back to the Bash Kitless Contest. :wink:

jttheclockman

Who is pulling who's leg here:biggrin::biggrin: That 800 X 600 is a basic standard throughout the web sites. Check other sites you will see.

MRDucks2

800x600 saved in a .jpg or jpeg format can have a variety of file sizes. The jpg image is "compressed" so file sizes for the same size image may be different depending on the software used and the make-up of the photo. The one I use allows me to trade off between image quality and image size if desired.

Using the same compression, an 800x600 image of the same pen, one on a solid colored background and one on a mixed color or textured background will have two different file sizes.

Just sharing info in order to keep things confusing. [emoji16]

SteveJ

Problem is, I find it very difficult to find the Universal Rules ... they seem to be tucked away in the "Activities Manager" forum (I think, if I remember right).

You are right - if you search for universal rules they end up on the 10th page of search results.

And when I did find them, there is NO REFERENCE to picture size there that I can see (but my eyesight is not the best at present as I am waiting for cataract surgery).

You are again correct! The size limitations are actually listed in the pop up box for managing pictures. And although generally people stick to 800x600, the forum actually allows for 960x960 JPEGs. But that file ends up being a fairly big file, which, for those running the contests ends up taking more time to create the voting thread. I did not specify a size of pictures and would have worked with any size you sent by resizing them myself. But I REALLY wouldn't want to do that if I received the 39 entries Brian got in the pretty wood contest.

Just as a suggestion ... The Universal Rules are VERY important and should be readily accessible to everybody at all times. . They should be referenced .... with a URL link .... in the description of each individual contest.

I decided that for the next contest I run I would do exactly that! I may not be involved with the summer extravaganza this year due to traveling, but I will try to remind others to include that link.

I appreciate that running the BASH contests is a VERY BIG JOB, but I hope some attention can be given to the organization of contest requirements and information.

It IS a big job, but the pay we receive makes it all worth it.

I could be "uniquely challenged" in this regard, but I seem to be constantly flipping around among the "Forum", "Forums", "Home", and "Activities Manager" sections, as well as doing searches of various kinds to find information about the BASH contests. . I have been especially frustrated this year, but it could very well be "my unique problem" and nobody else's. . Since the dawn of the computer era, I have experienced these kinds of "digital frustrations" so I want it to be clear that I don't want anyone to take these comments as any kind of personal attack.

I would not be surprised if others experienced the same challenges. And I certainly don't take it as a personal attack. Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts.

To summarize ... could we please put, in every single contest, a URL link referencing the Universal Rules, and can we please assure that these rules are as complete as possible.

Please, don't anyone get upset at my remarks ... I am just an old fart with failing faculties and a massive hangover from the good ol' days when analog was king and Kodak ruled !!!!! :biggrin::confused::biggrin: .... (trying to introduce some humor and levity along with being puzzled)

Just for this post I'm going to reduce the size of your entry so that people will be puzzled by how to actually see the picture...Seriously though I am not upset in the slightest!

Steve

magpens

Right, Curly .... back to the BASHLESS KIT contest !!! :biggrin::biggrin:

I was messed up in my thinking to get pixels and bytes comfused ... it's the post-partum delayed male menopause !

Last edited:

magpens

Steve,

Thank you for addressing my post so thoroughly. . If you read the exchanges between Curly and me, you will realize that I had some lapses of whatever. I apologize.

Top Bottom