2018 SUPERBOWL POOL!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Getting Close to a Full Board

We currently have 64 players signed up and 27 of you are willing to do a second square if needed.

That means we need at least 9 more players (or second square volunteers), but we can handle up to 36 more.

I'd like to generate the grid as early as possible, so I'll probably close out signups shortly after we get 100 squares filled, one way or the other.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Update on Signups

We currently have 68 players and 34 of you have volunteered for a second square, so we WILL have a game. Start selecting those blanks & packing up your boxes.

I will continue to accept signups from new players until I am actually ready to generate the grid later today. Once I close the signups, I will fill out the remaining squares from the second square volunteers.

We still have room for up to 32 new players if you would like to play but haven't signed up yet.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Two Volunteers Needed

I need some volunteers to help me generate the numbers for the grid.

Here's what I need, in this order:
A coin flip (to determine whether the cells are numbered left-right by rows or top-bottom by columns)

One set of random numbers 1-100 (to randomize the list of players)

Two sets of random numbers 0-9 (for the column & row numbers)

Another coin flip (to determine which team goes on top & which goes on the side)

Since I am also playing, I want to be sure that everything about the grid is completely randomized and transparent so there will be no questions about how I produced the grid in case I happen to win anything.

I will post the full list of players in their numerical order before asking for the list to be randomized. The cells will be numbered 1-100 in one of the orders determined by the first coin flip, then players will be assigned to those cells according to how their individual player number is randomized.

After the grid is filled out, we will then generate the remaining numbers & coin flips to complete the gird.

If you would like to help me with this, you can volunteer here or send me a pm

Thanks
Edgar

chartle

A coin flip (to determine whether the cells are numbered left-right by rows or top-bottom by columns)

Another coin flip (to determine which team goes on top & which goes on the side)

Since I am also playing, I want to be sure that everything about the grid is completely randomized and transparent so there will be no questions about how I produced the grid in case I happen to win anything.

I will post the full list of players in their numerical order before asking for the list to be randomized. The cells will be numbered 1-100 in one of the orders determined by the first coin flip, then players will be assigned to those cells according to how their individual player number is randomized.

After the grid is filled out, we will then generate the remaining numbers & coin flips to complete the gird.

Thanks
Edgar

I use excel to randomize lists like this. Put all names in one column. Put a RAND() function in second and copy down. Sort the columns using the the random numbers.

Everytime you sort it will make a new random list since it creates a new random number each time.

You can do the same with the numbers 1-10.

Last edited:

Dehn0045

For some time now I have been casually pondering the ideas of determinism versus freewill. This led me to thinking about the existence of pure randomness. I'm not entirely convinced that it exists. Some people believe that pure randomness exists in quantum mechanics, their arguments seem solid but I really don't understand the details. I do know that excel, along with other mathematical methods for generating random numbers are not technically random but are generally referred to as pseudo-random. So, Edgar, I'm sorry but I can't help you with coming up with a list of random numbers because I'm not convinced that it is even possible. Thankfully, it looks like you have enough support from a few brave souls that believe in its existence.

As a side note, it looks like most NFL analysts subscribe to the determinism line of thinking -- the Patriots have already won and Brady the MVP... This makes me hope for a little randomness...

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

Thanks
Edgar

I use excel to randomize lists like this. Put all names in one column. Put a RAND() function in second and copy down. Sort the columns using the the random numbers.

Everytime you sort it will make a new random list since it creates a new random number each time.

I agree that that's a good way to do it, but I want someone else to do the randomizing so that I'm totally hands off on how the grid gets generated.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
For some time now I have been casually pondering the ideas of determinism versus freewill. This led me to thinking about the existence of pure randomness. I'm not entirely convinced that it exists. Some people believe that pure randomness exists in quantum mechanics, their arguments seem solid but I really don't understand the details. I do know that excel, along with other mathematical methods for generating random numbers are not technically random but are generally referred to as pseudo-random. So, Edgar, I'm sorry but I can't help you with coming up with a list of random numbers because I'm not convinced that it is even possible. Thankfully, it looks like you have enough support from a few brave souls that believe in its existence.

As a side note, it looks like most NFL analysts subscribe to the determinism line of thinking -- the Patriots have already won and Brady the MVP... This makes me hope for a little randomness...

You are correct that all mathematical algorithms would be more properly called "pseudo-random". Some are better than others and some methods for seeding the algorithms are better than others. Still, they are about as good as pulling numbers out of a hat for the purposes of a game like this.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
SIGNUPS ARE CLOSED

Signups are now closed. I will post the list of players shortly.

I have asked Doug (alankulwicki7) and Gordon (flyitfast) to generate the various sets of random numbers that I need for the grid.

Thanks to everyone for playing.
Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
AND The Players Are.....

Here is the list of players and their player number. I have attached the list both in Excel and csv format.

We have 68 players numbered 1-68 in the order that you signed up for the game. The first 32 players who volunteered for a second square also get the numbers 69-100 in the order that you volunteered for a second square.

I checked the thread 3 times to try to make sure that I didn't miss anyone, but if I did, please let me know.

Thanks for playing
Edgar

Edit: apparently I cannot attach a csv file, so I have saved it as a text file in case you cannot open the Excel file

Attachments

• SuperBowlPool2018_Players.xlsx
    32.6 KB · Views: 392
  • SuperBowlPool2018_Players.txt
    1 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

chartle

Thanks
Edgar

I agree that that's a good way to do it, but I want someone else to do the randomizing so that I'm totally hands off on how the grid gets generated.

if you need me I can be your someone else.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

Thanks
Edgar

if you need me I can be your someone else.

Thanks Cliff - much appreciated, I think I have it covered, but I'll let you know if I need anyone else

chartle

I guess you can't start too early, figured this was the best place to bump this. Not sure how it happened last year.

Anything this year?

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I have asked Mike Redburn for permission to run the SB Pool again this year.

When & if he approves, I will post rules & start a sign up thread.

Don't waste time signing up in this old thread - they won't count.

Edgar

Top Bottom