2018 Schedule/Demo Thread

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I went ahead and shot an email to Barry Gross. I'll let Fred know that slots are filling up fast also.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'm flying home today - back around 3 PM. All should be filled soon.

I was unsure of the added Sunday... maybe we should add Monday now (kidding).

Magicbob

As stated above.
I do not need to demo, all the local guys have seen it and I can explain most of it one on one at my table.
I would recommend moving me to a backup and put guests in my slots.
I will of course be ready to fill in if needed or if time somehow opens up.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
As stated above.
I do not need to demo, all the local guys have seen it and I can explain most of it one on one at my table.
I would recommend moving me to a backup and put guests in my slots.
I will of course be ready to fill in if needed or if time somehow opens up.

As of my rough draft tonight - you still are slated for a Sunday full session. But I understand your sentiment, and will keep that in my back pocket as I juggle the last 2-3 sessions. It is nice to have a full slate, with 2-3 sessions as backups for a last minute decline.

I will now try to rough out the 8-12+ "Break-out" room sessions. These are also filling in nicely.

I have 4-5 messages in to folks for preference of days, so when I hear back, I can finalize the sessions.

Then just need to wait for the last minute declines/replacements. :rolleyes:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Michelle confirmed she is attending, and prefers a Saturday slot - which is fine. I have sent private e-mails (non IAP) to Barry Gross and Ed Brown for final topics and preferred days.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Just got another offer from a Buckeye IAP Woodturning Chapter member that he would also do a non-pen demo.

He also joined IAP (BobHasen). Bob Hasenyager.

We have all full room demos filled. One slot is either a panel discussion on Marketing or Toni Ransfield or Magic Skew & Carbide. If Toni graces us with her aura, we have a spot, if not we have several nice options.

Magic, yes, as of now you are shuffled out of the full demo line-up, pending last minute drop-outs.

I am waiting to hear from Jim Pratt on a topic, and Ed Brown if Friday is OK with him. After that, I'll get a reasonable final line-up with more precise times for the websites.

I've also started to make the trim ring blanks. These sold the best last year $20.00 each, sold about 23. If I can get 20-30, I'll sell these in the demo room when I am there, or maybe bribe Magic to sell at his table.

mbroberg

Hey Mark,

The next time I have about an hour free I am going to call Ed to see what goodies he may be donating. When I do I'll ask him if Friday is OK with him.

As far as Toni goes, By next week I should know why she and Ed Street mysteriously vanished from the SEPG lineup. I seriously doubt that they will come, but I've been wrong before.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
WORKING DRAFT AS OF 1/27/2018

MIKE: There have been some shifting of topics/times due to presentor requests. These are Highlighted in BLUE. I think the schedule and demos are 95% done.

Additional comments: Mike, on the website, Ernie's last name is misspelled in one spot, and Buckeye Woodturners is also mispelled once. I believe that is all the errors I spotted.

1. I have sent several messages to Ed Brown and Jim Pratt to confirm their scheduled times and topics; I have not heard back.
2. Barry Gross will be doing a powerpoint for part of his session, so we will need the video set-up.
3. We will need to recruit some volunteers to supervise the break-out room lathe sessions. I can solicit from the general attendees once I get a list of the current registrants; as well as Ohio Chapter folks when we meet in March. I'm not worried about these.
4. I intend to be in the Break-Out Room most of the time it is open, simply to have a committee member there to monitor the sessions/assist. I will also display the IAP Collection there, so I will not need a table in the main room.
5. I have not heard back from Toni Ransfield, so I put the Marketing session in (We will need someone to moderate this and get 2-3 people to be the panel - any volunteers?) If she comes at the last minute we can put her in this spot.
6. I will bring my mini-lathe for the Break-out room, but it would be nice if we had a second.
7. If we have any last minute demo cancellations, these are the backups (Vendor Talks; Lasers/Rotary Jig - Magicbob).

Magicbob: With possibly 2 lathes, tools, etc and the IAP Collection in the Break-Out room, check if we can have a room key to lock this room when not is use. For liability, I would feel better if it was locked when not in use. We can simply post a sign when the room will be reopened for the next demo/session.

The order of the demos, and even specific topics can be adjusted as more preferences come in.

MAIN ROOM SCHEDULE

FRIDAY

12:00 - 2:45 Set-Up
3:00 - 3:45 Welcome/Announcements
4:00 - 4:45 Demo # 1 - Tips and Tricks After My First 100 Pens - Chris Cannon
5:00 - 5:45 Demo # 2 - Thread-Wrapping Pen Blanks- John Macdougall
6:00 - 6:45 Demo # 3 - TBA - Ed Brown
7:00+ Gather for Dinner We suggest options ?

SATURDAY

8:45 - 9:00 Welcome/Announcements
9:00 - 9:45 Demo # 4 - TBA - Jim Pratt
10:00 - 10:45 Demo #5 - Panel Discussion on Marketing and Sales
11:00 - 11:45 Demo # 6 - Mosaic Pin Pens - Dave Bell
12:00 - 1:00 Lunch - Pizza Social
1:00 - 1:30 Contest Voting/Vendor Sales
1:45 - 3:15 Demo #7 - Segmented Pen Turning - Barry Gross
3:30 - 4:45 Door Prizes/Contests/Snacks
5:00 - 5:45 Demo # 8 - Turning Small Bowls - Ron Tomasch
6:00 - 6:45 Demo # 9 - Watch Parts Pens - Michelle Ferrara
7:00+ Gather for Dinner Formal Gathering Location ?

SUNDAY

9:00 - 9:45 Demo # 10 - Small Turnings - Bob Hasenyager
10:00 - 10:45 Demo #11 - Turning Shaving Brushes and Handles - Ernie Borraga
11:00 - 11:45 Demo # 12 - Faux Cigar Pens - Dale DeHoff
12:00 - 1:00 Closing Remarks/Tear Down

BREAK-OUT ROOM SCHEDULE - 2 Mini Lathes Ava and 2 Tables Av. Basically 8 topics rotating for more opportunities for attendees. The individuals doing the demos do not have to be the same.

FRIDAY
LATHE/TABLE I

4:00 - 4:45 Tool Time, Basic Intro to Lathe Tools - Ed Brown
5:00 - 5:45 Supervised Lathe Time For Beginners (Pens) - Ohio IAP Chapter
6:00 - 6:45 Casting Watch Parts - Ernie Borraga

LATHE/TABLE II

4:00 - 4:45 Segmenting I: Basic Brick/Castle Designs - Mark James
5:00 - 5:45 Segmenting II: Trim Rings and End Caps - Mark James
6:00 - 6:45 Segmenting III: Chevron Blanks and Finials - Mark James

SATURDAY
LATHE/TABLE I

9:00 - 9:45 Magical Skew/Carbide Tools - Robert Macquis
10:00 - 10:45 Supervised Lathe Time For Beginners (Small Bowl) - Ron Tomasch, Buckeye Woodturners
11:00 - 11:45 Supervised Lathe Time For Beginners (Pen) - Ohio IAP
2:00 - 3:15 Casting Basics - Tom Bell
5:00 - 5:45 Collet Chuck/Pin Chuck Uses - Ohio IAP
6:00 - 6:45 Modified Slimlines - Ohio IAP

LATHE/TABLE II

9:00 - 9:45 Segmenting I: Basic Brick/Castle Designs - Mark James
11:00 - 11:45 Segmenting II: Trim Rings and End Caps - Mark James
2:00 - 2:45 Segmenting III: Chevron Blanks and Finials - Mark James
4:45 - 5:45 OPEN
6:00 - 6:45 OPEN

SUNDAY

We can put up a sign-up sheet for requests and see if we can accommodate? Just a random thought.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mike, I forgot to note that I have been referring to Dale Allen, when he is actually Dale DeHoff (I suspect Allen maybe a middle name). IAP: Dale Allen.

mbroberg

Thanks Mark, I'll change the web site and Dale's name tomorrow. I've been working on something else and I ma about computered out for today.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks Mark, I'll change the web site and Dale's name tomorrow. I've been working on something else and I ma about computered out for today.

Hi Mike, I just saw the changes. Looks good, just a few last minutes pokes (I'll stop soon).

Delete the second time for the "contests/snack" time period.
In the Speakers Menu; Borraga and Buckeye (spelling). Add Bob Hasenyager - Buckeye AAW Chapter - Alternate Small Turnings. Take off Magic from the Main Room - he is now a backup for this topic.

And I did pick up a donation of 100 catalogs for turning blanks from: AdvantageLumber.com and 20 pen blanks. (They have a lumber yard in Brazil and sell pen blanks for as little as .50/each!!)

Mark

mbroberg

Mark,

I seem to recall you telling me that there were some minor changes to be made to the schedule, but I cannot find them. Can you remind me what needs to be done please?

mbroberg

Never mind, I found it. But you may want to check and make sure I got the changes correct.

Also, which session of lathe time for beginners - pens, did I volunteer for?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Never mind, I found it. But you may want to check and make sure I got the changes correct.

Also, which session of lathe time for beginners - pens, did I volunteer for?

The changes you made are correct.

You indicated the Friday, 5:00 - 5:45 slot for the Break-out room.

You can add Dale Allen to the break-out room on Saturday:

5:00 - 5:45 - Faux Cigar Pens - Dale Allen
6:00 - 6:45 - Faux Cigar Pens - Dale Allen

I will start to print out the name tags tonight.

Jason: If there have been any more registrations, send me an updated copy (Thank you).

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Last few modifications in Red.

This may be the final version :)

Mike: I misspelled on one post earlier - Dale Dehoff (not Dale Allen. Dale Allen is his IAP handle).

FRIDAY
MAIN ROOM

12:00 - 2:45 - Set-Up
3:00 - 3:45 - Welcome/Announcements
4:00 - 4:45 - Tips and Tricks After My First 100 Pens - Chris Cannon
5:00 - 5:45 - Thread-Wrapping Pen Blanks- John Macdougall
6:00 - 6:45 - Tips on Marketing - Ed Brown
8:00+ Gather for Dinner

Break-Out Rooms
LATHE/TABLE I

4:00 - 4:45 - Tool Time, Basic Intro to Lathe Tools - Ed Brown
5:00 - 5:45 - Supervised Lathe Time For Beginners (Pens) - Mike Broberg
6:00 - 6:45 - Casting Watch Parts - Ernie Borraga

LATHE/TABLE II
4:00 - 4:45 - Segmenting I: Basic Brick/Castle Designs - Mark James
5:00 - 5:45 - Segmenting II: Trim Rings and End Caps - Mark James
6:00 - 6:45 - Segmenting III: Chevron Blanks and Finials - Mark James

SATURDAY
Main Room

8:45 - 9:00 - Welcome/Announcements
9:00 - 9:45 - Magical Skew/Carbide Tools - Bob Macquis
10:00 – 10:45 - How To Improve Your Finishes - Mark Dreyer
11:00 - 11:45 - Mosaic Pin Pens - Dave Bell
12:00 - 1:00 Lunch - Pizza Social
1:00 - 1:30 - Contest Voting/Vendor Sales
1:45 - 3:15 - Segmented Pen Turning - Barry Gross
3:30 – 4:45 Door Prizes/Contests/Snacks
5:00 - 5:45 - Turning Small Bowls - Ron Tomasch
6:00 - 6:45 - Watch Parts Pens - Michelle Ferrara
7:00+ Gather for Dinner

Break-Out Rooms
LATHE/TABLE I

9:00 - 9:45 - DELETE THIS SESSION
10:00 - 10:45 - Supervised Lathe Time For Beginners (Small Bowl) - Ron Tomasch, Buckeye Woodturners
2:00 3:15 - Supervised Lathe Time For Beginners (Pen) - Mark James/Ernie Borraga
5:00 - 5:45 - Collet Chuck/Pin Chuck Uses - Ed Brown
6:00 - 6:45 - Modified Slimlines - Mark James

LATHE/TABLE II
9:00 - 9:45 - Segmenting I: Basic Brick/Castle Designs - Mark James
10:00-10:45 - Segmenting II: Trim Rings and End Caps - Mark James
11:00-11:45 - Segmenting III: Chevron Blanks and Finials - Mark James
2:00 - 3:15 - Casting Basics - Tom Bell (just moved this from Table I)
5:00 - 5:45 - Faux Cigar Pens - Dale Dehoff
6:00 - 6:45 - Faux Cigar Pens - Dale Dehoff

SUNDAY
Main Room

9:00 - 9:45 - Small Turnings - Bob Hasenyager
10:00 - 10:45 - Turning Shaving Brushes and Handles - Ernie Borraga
11:00 - 11:45 - Faux Cigar Pens - Dale DeHoff

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I've sent requests to all the demo volunteers asking if they need any materials, accessories, etc. I've gotten 3 responses. Basically - not much of a response. Some have not acknowledged my messages in weeks.

Just thought I'd let you know! :redface: Program has been final formatted, name tags are printed up-to date, my demo materials are almost organized, vegi trays are ordered, so I'm on track for my stuff.

I'll be bringing my lathe, stand and accessories, a second stand for the lathe magicbob is bringing, and the lathe for the raffle.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I was planning on arranging to have my lathe brought for Friday. Do you still need it. Accessories?

Thanks

Jason

My understanding was that your lathe is the main room demo lathe, so yes and all available accessories (chucks, spur centers, drill chuck, knock out bars, etc.). I'll bring my basic gouges/carbides (as I indicated - I have gotten little feedback from the demo volunteers on what they may need :frown:. My schedule needs to get this stuff set in advance, so I'll box up my stuff when I get back to Medina this Tuesday).

My mini lathe/stand and all accessories - Break-Out Room

Magicbob's mini lathe/stand (from me) and all accessories - Break-Out Room.

Between your accessories, and mine - I suspect we can cover the three lathes easily (usually only one or two in service at a time). We just need to be mindful to get our stuff back at the end.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark I only have a couple more names since the last update. I will send this weekend.

That is fine, I am not home now so its not a hurry. I'll print out the last minute ones, and 20-30 blank ones for walk-ins, as well as some sticker name tags.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Ron Tomasch will not be able to do the Break-Out room session on Saturday. He is Fine for his full room demo though.

I'll keep the session on the schedule, but switch it to an open session for beginning pens and see if we can get a volunteer to supervise. Maybe Ernie will help also. I'll be home tomorrow and will get 5-10 sierra tubes glued up for the session so a new volunteer would just have to supervise.

There is a woodturning/art festival in Minerva, OH the same weekend where a bunch of the Buckeye Woodturners usually help out at, so we may lose some of those guys that were thinking of coming and paying "at the door."

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I should have all the last minute schedule modification changes finalized by later today or tomorrow AM. Got a bunch of PM's in the works, but the slots are essentially filled, just need confirmation.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
If anyone needs any last minute chores done - I have today and Thursday open. I think my stuff is just needing to get packed.

Chris Labedz will be bringing his Beall Pen Wizard to MPG. He did a Chicagoland IAP Chapter presentation recently (I was not there) and can be a main room back-up demo, or we can plug him into an additional Break-Out session.

So we now have three back-up sessions.

1. Beall Pen Wizard
2. Panel discussion on audience led topics
3. Open time for vendor sales and socializing

Programs got printed yesterday (150).

Name tags are up to date (94), with 30+ blank for walk-ins.

Snack stuff will be ava at 8 AM Friday for pick-up.

If there is no need for using the Break-out room on Sunday, I will pack most of it up Saturday evening and take the large stuff home. I will be leaving directly from MPG to go to my In-Laws - We were notified yesterday that My Mother-In Law will be discharged on Monday (the next day). This is a week earlier than what were had been told, so all preparations need to be adjusted.

NOTE: Ernie did not need heart surgery, after the exploratory surgery they felt the blockages can be treated with medications over 4-6 months.

Top Bottom