• Vote for Entry 10

Votes: 66 55.0%
  • Vote for Entry 11

Votes: 17 14.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Vic

Welcome to the "2018 IAP's 14th Birthday Bash Open Casting Contest Poll"

Take some time to look over these Awesome entries. They've all work hard on their projects and in my book they're all winners. Please select your three favorite and cast your vote for them. Voting will close at High Noon MST on Feb. 24th. The TOP 3 will be reposted for the final vote starting Feb 25th. 2018.

Actually the timer started from the time of posting. So clock run out at 11:25am the 24th instead of Noon.

Entry 1

Pen is a 4color block of yellow, red, blue, and purple that I mixed out of LD. Then cut it for a single tube pen, turned and polish to a high lust.

Entry01a.jpg Entry01b.jpg Entry01c.jpg Entry01d.jpg

Entry 2

Casted cigarleaf and vintage cigar band

Entry02a.jpeg Entry02b.jpeg Entry02c.jpeg Entry02d.jpeg

Entry 3

The pen is gun metal Rinehart with stainless steel braiding and watch parts.

Entry03a.jpg Entry03b.jpg Entry03c.jpg Entry03d.jpg

Entry 4

This is my entry into the 2018 IAP Bash Advanced Casting Pen Contest. I decided to combine 2 of my favorite hobbies in a way, scroll sawing and pen making. This is a chrome Sierra Vista kit with a cast blank of scroll saw blades on a tube covered with a woodgrain vinyl. It was cast with Liquid Diamonds epoxy resin. It was turned and polished to a high shine. Thanks for looking and hope you like it.

Entry04a.jpg Entry04b.jpg Entry04c.jpg

Entry 5

Brief Description of Pen: This hand cast pen features a Harley Walking Medallion. Thetube is first made up as steam punk by covering it with aluminum duct tape with rivets (via the pounce wheel). The copper riveted tape is added as well as somegears from a watch, and finally the surface it treated with ebonizing crème.The tube is then cast in PR for a few days and left to cure. After curing it is turned and finished as traditional acrylic.

Entry05a.jpg Entry05b.jpg Entry05c.jpg Entry05d.jpg

Entry 6

This is a 15bean soup pen. Using clear cast and a piece of PVC pipe. After the pen was done I made and ate the soup. Both turned out quite well.

Entry06a.jpg Entry06b.jpg Entry06c.jpg Entry06d.jpg

Entry 7

Process: Opal effect, cast resin blank. Alumilite Slow cast in a 5.5"x5.5"x1"mold @ 85psi. Confetti, Alumilite whitepearl and Pearlex interference pearl to create a translucent blank with suspendedholographic flake. Round, drill, tap, final turn, Micromesh, then Novapolish. Paint the interior of the blank Boyd Coddington Purple Pearl. Two tone#5 JOWO nib in cast resin parts.

Entry07a.jpg Entry07b.jpg Entry07c.jpg Entry07d.JPG

Entry 8

Steps: Rough-sanded acetone washed brass tubes. Coated them with alum, let dry for 8 hours. Marbled the tubes into a floating acrylic painting on top of methylcellulose-thickened distilled water. Rinsed them in distilled water, then dried the marbled tubes for 3 days. Adhered .6mm undrilled microbeads to the tubes under high magnification, using micro-forceps and Judikins Diamond Glaze. Dried them for 2 days. Applied a very thin layer of Judikins Diamond Glaze mixed with a tiny bitof cerulean blue mica powder. Dried them for 3 days. Cast them tube-in withDouglas and Sturgess Clear Polyester Casting Resin, 50psi. Cured the castingfor 1 week. Milled the ends. Lathe turned them. Sanded them on the lathe from400 grit up to 12,000 grit. Assembled the Virage Fountain Pen.

Entry08a.jpg Entry08b.jpg Entry08c.jpg Entry08d.jpg

Entry 9

This pen is made from a mammoth tooth cast in polyester resin. The components used were cast from solid silver by Mike Redburn (mredburn). The mammoth tooth was cut tothe correct size, drilled, trimmed and then turned slightly under the bushings.Then it was cast in a polyester resin (I had to turn it down and re-cast it several times because of slight imperfections in the resin). After the resincured, the blanks were turned to the correct size, sanded, polished, buffed,and assembled. This was by far the most challenging pen I have ever made and I think it's my new favorite.

Entry09a.jpg Entry09b.jpg Entry09c.jpg Entry09d.jpg

Entry 10

To create this pen I crinkled some Aluminum Foil Tape and wrap it around the tube, copperwire and armor plates were added to the ends to act as a border, more copperwire was then bent and shaped to form what I like to call windows in the center section of the tubes, before adding watch parts each window was painted adifferent color, I then cast the completed tubes in Polyester Resin. The blanks were then turned, sanded and polished before being assembled

Entry10a.JPG Entry10b.JPG Entry10c.JPG Entry10d.JPG

Entry 11

My entry is a 3D print hybrid pen Imade using a 3D printer and Liquid Diamonds. This 3D print was unique as Idesigned it to be radial so no matter the diameter of the pen kit it will lookthe same. Once the print was made it was cast with Liquid Diamonds epoxy resinand white pearlex powder. Once cured it was made like any other pen.

Entry11a.jpg Entry11b.jpg Entry11c.jpg Entry11d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

Tough to pick only 3, all are special in their own way! Congrats to all, beautiful work!

Mr Vic

11th Entry Added

:frown: Hey all! I goofed up and missed an entry. :frown:

Mike was gracious enough to get it added on to the poll as the eleventh entry.

My apologies to the contestant.

stonepecker

These are all OUTSTANDING piece of art. Had a rough time but got it down to 5.
Went so far as to 4 entries and couldn't decide from there.

so I put the 4 numbers in my hat.......shook it up.......pulled one and threw it away.
Voted for the remaining three.
Fate has something to do with my votes. Don't blame me......lol

Mr Vic

Get out and vote

Hey everyone!

Don't procrastinate!

There's still time to cast your 3 votes in the "2018 Open Casting Contest"

530 Views and only 98 of you voted.

Last edited:

Mr Vic

There's about an hour and a half till the poll closes.

Sit down with your IAP Bash mug and favorite brew while you rate these fine entries. Then cast your votes!

Top Bottom