2017 Superbowl Pool - Read 'em & Weep

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
OK Folks,

Here it is - the long-awaited 2017 Superbowl Pool Chart. I have attached the chart both as an Excel xlxs file and as a jpg file. Hopefully you can all view at least one of them, but let me know if you can't.

I checked everything twice, so I hope that there are no errors, but if you think you see a mistake, please let me know as soon as possible so I can investigate and try to correct it. No adjustments will be made after kickoff.

If you don't like your square, don't blame me - I had nothing to do with assigning the squares. Blame MrPukaShell (Robert), tomtedesco (Tom) or southernclay (Warren). :)

You can also thank them if you happen to like your square & I would like to thank them for helping me with this.

I will explain how the grid was laid out and how the squares were chosen in another post. In the meantime, let the wailing & gnashing of teeth begin. :biggrin::biggrin:

Attachments

• 2017 SB pool grid.xlsx
    13.9 KB · Views: 246
  • 2017Grid.jpg
    2017Grid.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 650
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
How the squares were assigned

Here's how your square assignment was determined:

I first asked Robert (MrPukaShell) to select a team for the top of the grid - he chose Falcons, so they appear at the top and the Patriots appear on the left.

I then asked Tom (tomtedesco) to randomize the numbers 0-9 for the top of the grid and Warren (southernclay) to randomize the numbers 0-9 for the left side of the grid.

I then asked Tom to randomize the numbers 1-100 for the individual squares and I asked Robert to select horizontal or vertical - he chose vertical.

So, I put the numbers that Tom gave me into the individual squares in the order that he provided, from top to bottom.

The results of the grid layout based on all these random choice & number shuffling inputs is shown below.

Each player was assigned a number from 1-100 based upon the order that you signed up for the game. So, I was number 1 and MrsCharlie_W (the last one to sign up) got number 89. Since there were 11 slots remaining, the first 11 to request a second slot were assigned the numbers 90-100, again in order of signup. Number 90 went to John Smith and number 100 went to jdmacdo.

The 11 players who got a second slot were:
John Smith
Skelton2014
southernclay
bedangerous
Racer3770
aggie182
Sataro
Mr Vic
mrgator
flyitfast
jdmarco

Once I had the complete list of 100 players, I put your name into the grid in place of your individual number, yielding the final chart shown in the first post of this thread.

Thanks again to Robert, Tom and Warren for helping with this. I believe this is a completely fair and impartial way to set up and fill out the grid, but let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks for playing & good luck to all.

Pack up those blanks so you can mail them early next week! :)

Edgar

Attachments

• 2017GridWithNumbers.jpg
    2017GridWithNumbers.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 324

bedangerous

Thanks for pointing out the quarter structure I did not realize that aspect of the game although it is specific. So mathematically it is possible there may not be any winners, correct?

keithncsu

There will be 4 winners. The quarters assignments aren't limited to the scores that line up along that quarter's edges. At the end of the 1st quarter, the square that matches up according to the team/second digit of the score wins that quarter. Then all the guys/gals in the color square representing quarter 1 send blanks to the winner. The winning square for quarter 1 may or may not fall into the quarter 1 color group. Hope that makes sense :)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Right you are, Keith.

Take a for instance - say the score is 0-0 or 10-0, 0-10, 20-10, etc at the end of the 1st quarter. hcpens would be the winner of the 1st quarter and everyone in the gray quadrant would send him blanks.

It's also theoretically possible that every quarter could end in some combination for 0-0 and everone would have to send their blanks to Richard. I hate to think of that happening - you think Billy gets grief for winning 2 quarters in one game - wow!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
How good is your square?

In case your curious about your numbers, here's a look at how things have gone for the first 50 Super Bowls.

The composite chart shows the scoring breakdowns for all quarters & the second chart shows the breakdowns by quarter.

Attachments

• IMG_8901.PNG
    IMG_8901.PNG
    123.4 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_8899.jpg
    IMG_8899.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 266

Cwalker935

So:
Pats score two touchdowns and kick extra point in 1st quarter- possible even likely
Pats get 2 safeties in 1st quarter- fat chance
Falcons kick 3 field goals in 1st quarter- Slim chance
Falcons score a Td but miss extra point and kick a field goal- Slim chance

So possible times fat chance times slim chance squared = 0.00123 % probability

Let me know where to send my blanks.

Pete275

So:
Pats score two touchdowns and kick extra point in 1st quarter- possible even likely
Pats get 2 safeties in 1st quarter- fat chance
Falcons kick 3 field goals in 1st quarter- Slim chance
Falcons score a Td but miss extra point and kick a field goal- Slim chance

So possible times fat chance times slim chance squared = 0.00123 % probability

Let me know where to send my blanks.

Anyone care to guess what Cody does for a living?? Maybe we should appoint him official Super Bowl Pool probability predictor?:biggrin:

Wayne

hcpens

Save you money

For the third and fourth quarter, everyone can just send your blanks to me.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::tongue::tongue:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Final Results

Congratulations to our 4 winners:
Richard (hcpens)
Robert (MrPukaShell)
John (John Smith)
Mike (Mike 8850)

Please send me your address if you haven't already done so and I will pass it on to the folks who owe you blanks. (I see that a couple of our winners are anxious to get their blanks - I got their address within 2 seconds of their quarter ending :))

Thanks to everyone for playing - this was fun.

The final grid is attached below.

Edgar

Attachments

• 2017 SB pool grid.xlsx
    13.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 2017FinalGrid.jpg
    2017FinalGrid.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 206

flyitfast

Congratulations to all the winners (mumble, mumble, mumble). :mad-tongue:
I guess I'll wander out to the shed and see if I have any spare blanks.......

Enjoy all the many packages you will be receiving in the next few days!!

Thanks Edgar for putting this "fun" thing together.

How do we get the addresses we need for shipping? Boy, the USPS sure does well on this!!

Gordon

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I have the addresses for all 4 winners - I will send each player a message later today with that info.

Thanks for playing
Edgar

jsolie

Thanks, Edgar for putting this all together. I'm sure the Q2 results caused much howling and rejoicing across the country. :cool: My box should be ready to ship tonight. Congrats to all the winners.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks, Edgar for putting this all together. I'm sure the Q2 results caused much howling and rejoicing across the country. :cool: My box should be ready to ship tonight. Congrats to all the winners.

There were cries of anguish and howls of joy all the way from Texas to California. :crying:

Top Bottom