2016 casting 1 resin/polyclay rules

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

Here are the proposed rules for the casting 1 resin/polyclay contest. Please review and let me know if you have any comments or criticisms, I have thick skin, so don't be shy.

Resin/Polyclay
Casting contest
This contest is for blanks made from Resin or Polyclay.
This contest is open to everyone.
This contest conforms to the Universal Contest Rules, unless otherwise specified in the following rules for this contest.
1. The blanks for this contest are to be made with resin (there is a different contest for "tube on" or embedded resin blanks) or made of Polyclay.
2. The blanks and the pen made from the blank for this contest are to be made solely by the person entering the contest.
3. All blanks must be made into a pen (this is a penturners forum), there is no restriction on the type of pen, ballpoint, rollerball, fountain, kit or kitless. (you can only enter your pen In one contest)
4. No use of CNC or Laser or your submission will be disqualified
5. The blanks must not be or have been shown anywhere even on the IAP before the end of this contest or your submission will be disqualified.
6. You must submit two photos of the finished pen. Remember that these photos are to show off the blank, so make sure your pen and photos shows off your blank.
7. Included with the pictures of your pen, you need to also submit a description of your blank that shows what kind of work went into the making of the blank, without saying something that will give away who you are. Keep this limited to 200 words or less.
8. You must follow all the rules in the Universal Contest Rules that are not covered in the rules above.
9. All entries must be submitted using the entry form provided
10. All entries must be submitted by TBD
Judging for this contest will be by a vote of the members of the IAP, following the rules concerning voting in the Universal Contest Rules.
Prizes
1st place TBD
2nd place TBD
3rd place TBD

All rules are subject to change for clarification or safety.
Please be creative and have a good time making your blanks and pens.

Attachments

• casting 1 contest.docx
    13.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

Can you explain exactly what types of resin blanks are suitable for this contest? I see the part about embedded castings, but what about Tube on, colors, etc.?

CREID

I'm not sure what tube on means. That is why I am posting the rules for feedback. For the resin blanks, to avoid a 4 page rule, they must be made completely of resin except for things like color, pearlescent, metallic dust. The things that aren't allowed would be like pine cones, wood, coffee beans and such. I don't know how to word it in a sentence or two. If I say only resin, someone will say then only clear or white plain blanks are allowed. Any help on the wording will be appreciated, we just need to keep it short and as simple as possible to avoid scaring people from entering.

Curt

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Tube on-refers to stickers or stamps anything attached to the tubes before casting.
You can specify a minimum number of colors that must be used if you wish. It has been done in the past but its up to you.
I can add the tube on restriction in the embeded rule.

CREID

I didn't want to put in a min on colors.
1. Because if you want your blank to stand out, I would think you would do more than make, like a plain blue blank. Now if you came up with a special blue and a pearlescent additive that no one else has and looks fantastic, then maybe they have a chance. If nothing else, they get to tell about their process.
2. If, I made it 3 colors, then that might discourage some of the newer casters (is that a word?).

But that is what this is for. What does everyone else think.

Does it make more sense to a number of you to make a min. of colors?

Should tube on be allowed in the resin casting?

As far as Polyclay, I think nothing but polyclay and whatever finish I guess. I have never made a polyclay pen so I don't know if they finish those or just polish.

Curt

CREID

One more thing.
I would just like to make this an enjoyable contest for as many people as possible. So please keep the comments coming and help me out.

Curt

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The "tube on" belongs in the other casting contest. This one is about color.
If you leave the minimum amount of colors needed off the table than you may have entries of only 1 or two colors. It is doubtful it will make a difference in winning but it will let them enter. Usually the winning entries will have 3 or more colors. I doubt you will need to specify a finish on PC.

CREID

The "tube on" belongs in the other casting contest. This one is about color.
If you leave the minimum amount of colors needed off the table than you may have entries of only 1 or two colors. It is doubtful it will make a difference in winning but it will let them enter. Usually the winning entries will have 3 or more colors. I doubt you will need to specify a finish on PC.

That is what I was thinking about the min color thing. I would like to see people to do what they can and just get into the contest. Then next year they can see their own Improvement.

As for the tube on thing. Do I need to say this is not allowed in this contest?

Also, I was wondering if someone entered something in any contest I guess and it wasn't allowed in the one they entered, would we be able to send it back and recommend the contest they should have entered?

Curt

Keep the comments coming!!!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I would put something in the rules about the "tube on" just to clarify it. If you write up what you want changed I can edit the original post. Yes if you or any one recieves an entry that is inappropriate you can refer them to a different contest. Since the entry will not have been seen by the public it can still be entered in a different contest.

Brooks803

Sorry...not trying to make things difficult. I just know if it's not spelled out for everyone you'll get a ton of questions (I ran this contest before!)

The way I see it this contest is basically putting PC versus Resin. If that's the case I'd restrict it to color casting only. Leave the embedded and tube on stuff for the other contest. This would level the playing field some what. Although I personally don't agree with PC and Resin being in the same contest (personal opinion only!)

CREID

Sorry...not trying to make things difficult. I just know if it's not spelled out for everyone you'll get a ton of questions (I ran this contest before!)

The way I see it this contest is basically putting PC versus Resin. If that's the case I'd restrict it to color casting only. Leave the embedded and tube on stuff for the other contest. This would level the playing field some what. Although I personally don't agree with PC and Resin being in the same contest (personal opinion only!)

First, I agree that leaving the tube on and the embedded in the other contest.
I do think they should be allowed to use pearlescent and metallic powders. Sorry if powders isn't the right term, but after 35 years in the ink business, in ink manufacturing, we use pearlescent and metallic powders in ink.

Second, I don't really see it as resin vs PC. It all about the blank and how it looks on a pen since I am requiring a pen to be made for the judging. So a resin blank can really enhance a pen just as can a polyclay blank can. The idea is to get creative in making a blank. If the voting goes way lopsided in one category then maybe next year there can be a contest for each.
Having said that though, I think that having too many contests can severely strain the pool of prizes. So maybe combining things is the way to go unless we can find a way to get more prizes.

Anyway, I see your point. And since tomorrow is my birthday, I am going to have lean toward my side, at least until Saturday. :biggrin:

Curt

CREID

I would put something in the rules about the "tube on" just to clarify it. If you write up what you want changed I can edit the original post. Yes if you or any one recieves an entry that is inappropriate you can refer them to a different contest. Since the entry will not have been seen by the public it can still be entered in a different contest.

I guess something like
"Anything adhered to the tube is not allowed"

Curt

Top Bottom