• Poll closed .

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome to the 2015 BASH

IAP Collection Contest !!!

If you are not familiar with the IAP Collection, check it out:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f269/iap-collection-129313/

For how these entries were choosen, it is explained here:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f27...ing-2015-birthday-bash-iap-collection-129668/

Please vote for 2 pens you feel would add to the overall diversity, quality and innovation represented by the IAP Collection.

The 2 pens with the most votes will be awarded a $100 prize, and become a permanent part of the IAP Collection.

The IAP Collection is scheduled to be displayed at this year's

MPG – Midwest Penturners Gathering (April 17-18; Champaign, IL).
and
MAPG – Mid-Atlantic Penturners Gathering (May 1-2; Richmond, VA).

Here are the Entries!

Entry # 1

129279d1424124385-voting-antler-horn-bone-contest-1b.jpg

Entry #2

129655d1424443591-voting-now-open-pen-21a.jpg

Entry #3

129516d1424236726-2015-limited-modification-kit-pen-poll-02142015-photo4.jpg

Entry #4

129815d1424618544-free-style-voting-poll-freestyle-1a.jpg

Entry #5

attachment.php

Entry #6

129363d1424151423-kitless-pen-voting-poll-pen-1a.jpg

Entry #7

129410d1424152586-kitless-pen-voting-poll-pen-8-b.jpg

Entry #8

VGA-2_zps6dmtbma8.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00965.jpg
    DSC00965.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 1,055
Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Oh... You suffer so! But seriously, the voting is actually close.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO VOTE!

THIS IS YOUR COLLECTION.

(If you peek and don't vote, we may send Derek and his Jackalope to pay you a visit:​

leaping-jackalope.jpeg

darrin1200

Honestly, any of these would fit the collection well. Especially if they included a descriptor of the techniques and thoughts of the artist.

Everyone will look at these and see something different. I chose the ones that seemed to be ahead of me on the path I'm travelling.

Fantastic work from each of you and an honor to be nominated. Well done to all.

Bob Wemm

Honestly, any of these would fit the collection well. Especially if they included a descriptor of the techniques and thoughts of the artist.

Everyone will look at these and see something different. I chose the ones that seemed to be ahead of me on the path I'm travelling.

Fantastic work from each of you and an honor to be nominated. Well done to all.

I agree absolutely.
They are all suitable for the collection.
Congratulations to you all.

Bob.:)

jttheclockman

Not sure where to post this question because of the many threads opened up on this topic so I will ask here. Who will be in charge of the pens and how do they get there??? When they go to an event how long do the stay there??? Where do they go after the event and who handles them??? If a pen gets submitted as a entry from a member who decides if it is accepted?? If it is accepted how does it get to wherever it is suppose to be???

These are all nice pens and all represent different forms of pens where different techniques were used to make them. So they represent pen making well. Good job by all.

Curly

Not sure where to post this question because of the many threads opened up on this topic so I will ask here. Who will be in charge of the pens and how do they get there??? When they go to an event how long do the stay there??? Where do they go after the event and who handles them??? If a pen gets submitted as a entry from a member who decides if it is accepted?? If it is accepted how does it get to wherever it is suppose to be???

These are all nice pens and all represent different forms of pens where different techniques were used to make them. So they represent pen making well. Good job by all.

John a great deal of the questions you are asking are answered in this thread.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

Hi John:

As Pete indicated, many questions are in the thread Jeff started, and I also started a Q & A thread here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f269/iap-collection-q-129682/

But... No problem answering your questions here :)!!!

1. Who's in charge? For the time being - me. I did in fact give Jeff a Letter of Resignation (Truely, I did!!!) when the initial set of pens was intact (1-23). I have absolutely NO PROBLEM turning this project over to another member, and when that time comes will enjoy seeing it rise to greater heights!

2. How do they "get there"? For 2015, I will actually take/display the Collection at the MPG and MAPG. I will throw out invitations for the Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio Chapters to also have a day to display - as I am willing to drive to those locations (I have a son in Chicago, so Wisconsin is doable).

3. Further locations will be considered in 2016+. and we are working on the procedures. We do have a custom-made (IAP paid for) Pelican box that will hold 35-40 pens (some are a bit wide for the slots). Obviously, the more elaborate a pen is will preclude it's being shipped (i.e., firewhatfire's Castle Concept Pen).

4. How long do they stay? For the events this year, as long as I'm there :tongue:. However, a possibility for the future is to mail "it" or a portion to a region, and have it be displayed at several chapters (i.e., Richmond Chapter; Hampton Roads Chapter; Central Carolina/Piedmont Chapter). The procedures for this has not be defined, and the most obvious issue is identifying someone willing to be responsible for the pens/display.

5. I do have inventory sheets; monthly inspection sheets; "request" forms for future displays; a folder with individual summary sheets for each pen; and fairly complete records for the collection. This is mainly in anticipation/hope to eventually turn this over to another member, and not give them a mess to deal with. (If there is one thing I have been forced to learn in life, it is that "Succession Planning" needs be be done at the beginning, not the end...).

6. Where do the pens go? At this time, they are simply mailed to me to be added to the Collection, on behalf of IAP.

7. As has been noted, while this was my initial undertaking, it is now IAP's. And it is for the membership to dictate it's future growth and purpose. Of the initial contacts I made, there are several (6-12) possible turners who may submit pens. After all those are received, I will complete a "Gift Deed" so that there is no question in the future of the ownership of The Collection being IAP. This has not been done yet, as I don't want to do "amendments". Obviously, those pens that have been donated directly to IAP will not need to be included in the Gift Deed, but records will be kept as to how they were obtained by IAP.

Hope this is helpful! Ask away for anything else.

Mark

jttheclockman

Thanks Mark. Maybe when this gets going things will be more clear. Being the keeper of the pens will be an undertaking for sure. Hopefully it works out well and people do appreciate all the work that went into not only making of the pens but the showing of them. When I get back into my shop which I am hoping is going to be real soon I can work on something that may be of interest to you for this project. Thanks again.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Congratulations Robert and Ed!!!

Well IAP...

Here are the 2 newest Pens for the IAP Collection:

CONGRATULATIONS - ROBERT (Robert111) AND ED (Nedge):

Robert - IAP Collection Pen #30

Ed - IAP Collection Pen #31

To ALL the contestants. EVERY pen was wonderful - you should be proud of your artistry.

To Robert and Ed:
On behalf of IAP, we thank you for your willingness to be part of the IAP Collection.
Now other members will be able to see and hold your work in person,
and take inspiration from your efforts.

And finally to the membership:
As the first contest for "Membership Voted-In Pens" to the collection,
the number of voters who participated in this final contest
was wonderful to see.

See you the MPG and MAPG!

Attachments

• pen 1a.jpg
    pen 1a.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC00965.jpg