20 Strand Sierra Helical Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ken Wines

Ken Wines

Here's one I did a week or so back. It has 4 strands each of 5 different species of wood. The woods are walnut, maple, cherry, osage orange and redheart. The second photo shows one of the 5 blanks as cut. It has 18 helical segments. You're probably wondering why 18 segments instead of 20. The segments have been laser kerf compensated which moves the the laser cuts 1/2 kerf away from the design line on both sides of the segments. I use 0.007" when designing for kerf. When you take into account you have 18 cut lines the 0.007" starts to add up and you lose a couple of the segments as opposed to having a perfect cutter with no kerf. You also have to take into account the angle of the helix.

Attachments

• IMG_4064.JPG
    IMG_4064.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_4066.JPG
    IMG_4066.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That is awesome! I love the diversity that you continually come up with. The precision is wonderful.

Thank you for sharing.

Ken Wines

Very unusual, and very nice, Ken !!! . Let us know when these are available at SPS.
I'll probably not be sending these to SPS. My local wood turning club was having their annual tool and wood auction this past weekend. I made up and glued up 10 blanks or so to be added into the auction items. Knowing that my fellow turners in the group are pretty frugal, I decided if the auction amount didn't reach 40% of retail I would bid on them and buy them back. I was going to tell them if they wanted an item and wanted to keep me out of the auction just open up with 40% bid, I wasn't going to continue bidding once the 40% bid level was reached. I figured this would give those that wanted to try a $25 segmented blank for $10 the opportunity and the club would get a little money. The person running the auction suggested rather than me having to buy the blanks back to just put a 40% reserve price on them. As I stated they are frugal and I ended bringing the blanks home. Send me a private message and I can probably hook you up with some blanks.

Last edited:

Ken Wines

That is awesome! I love the diversity that you continually come up with. The precision is wonderful.

Thank you for sharing.
Thanks, Mark. These are kind of fun to make. I think that 20 (18 degree segments) is pretty close to the threshold of equal sized segments. "Screwing" that last helical into place can be interesting. I try use one of the stronger species as the last one

Top Bottom