2 Zens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

So I recently bought some Zen pen kits, haven't determined my pricing yet. Was looking around online as to what others are charging and it seemed lots were pretty much giving them away. I have found pen kits with the same name and same general look but two very different prices. I bought the more expensive ones. Look sat the nib ends, they are different. What gives? I certainly am not going to sell a pen that I paid 27 dollars for not even counting the blank for thirty bucks as I see others are. Now I know there are cheaper versions of similar pens, but as far as I know they are not named the same.
Zen Expensive.jpg
Cheap Zen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brandy

I made one of the cheaper ones and the cap is constantly popping off. I am disappointed because I'm always looking for a pen with a cap that doesn't look weird when the cap is removed. Those pens with the long, thin nib look unattractive and like they would be uncomfortable to write with.

KenB259

The cheaper ones are Chinese the more expensive ones are from Taiwan. There's a BIG quality difference in both the magnet and the plating. I found the gold ones from China barely hold the cap on vs the ones from Taiwan have a solid connection.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/2/4104/artisan-Zen-Rollerball-Pen-Kit?term=zen&term=zen <-- another option for the ones from Taiwan.
Well I'm glad I bought the better ones. I figured as much, but I feel the names should not be the same.

KenB259

I made one of the cheaper ones and the cap is constantly popping off. I am disappointed because I'm always looking for a pen with a cap that doesn't look weird when the cap is removed. Those pens with the long, thin nib look unattractive and like they would be uncomfortable to write with.
Brandy, I'm not sure what pen you're referring to that would be uncomfortable to write with. One of the Zen's ?

Brandy

Brandy, I'm not sure what pen you're referring to that would be uncomfortable to write with. One of the Zen's ?
I like the Zens because the nib is shorter. As an example this pen looks like it would be hard to hold (I grip my pens close to the tip and this one seems awkwardly skinny) and the barrel would hit my hand and be kind of annoying. I love the look of them when the cap is on

KenB259

I like the Zens because the nib is shorter. As an example this pen looks like it would be hard to hold (I grip my pens close to the tip and this one seems awkwardly skinny) and the barrel would hit my hand and be kind of annoying. I love the look of them when the cap is on

Oh I see the ones you're talking about, I actually like writhing with those, but probably does depend how you grip them. I'm actually using one of those today at work .

jttheclockman

The cheaper ones are Chinese the more expensive ones are from Taiwan. There's a BIG quality difference in both the magnet and the plating. I found the gold ones from China barely hold the cap on vs the ones from Taiwan have a solid connection.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/2/4104/artisan-Zen-Rollerball-Pen-Kit?term=zen&term=zen <-- another option for the ones from Taiwan.
Tim is correct on this info. Turners warehouse is selling the Rizheng kits who do not refer to them as a Zen just a magnetic cap pen kit. What is also interesting is that Turner's instructions show the more expensive kit. The zen Tim links is actually a JR. Zen. It has even a different nib section that is more elongated if that means anything to you.

KenB259

Tim is correct on this info. Turners warehouse is selling the Rizheng kits who do not refer to them as a Zen just a magnetic cap pen kit. What is also interesting is that Turner's instructions show the more expensive kit. The zen Tim links is actually a JR. Zen. It has even a different nib section that is more elongated if that means anything to you.
Look at the picture though, It clearly calls it "Zen". That's why I was questioning this.

jttheclockman

Kits with the same names are many. Take a look at the Sierra line. Man what a mess that is. Rizheng sells a Majestic kit that look similar to the PSI Majestic but a whole lot cheaper and the center band is different and they call it new improved Majestic. I almost bought a couple but again the plating is not the same. Many of these new themed kits out there have 2 different versions and they are copies. Go by the same names too.

As far as you other point about price. I only made a couple of them and I do find them a little awkward to write with because of the nib section. But as far as price point this pen is $90. Not sure if that helps. But I do not undersell my pens because others are selling at cheaper prices. I have done OK selling at shows. I sell more scrollsawn stuff though.

This pen happens to be my version of the colored pencil blanks you see often. I just used the lead. :) Believe I entered in a Bash contest, I forgot.
Copy of IMGP0299.JPG
Copy of IMGP0300.JPG

Last edited:

Brandy

Oh I see the ones you're talking about, I actually like writhing with those, but probably does depend how you grip them. I'm actually using one of those today at work .
I've never tried one. Maybe I should give it a chance. It would be nice to have more options for capped pens

Top Bottom