2 turks and a duck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from spitfire

spitfire

Here are my 3rd and 4th turkey calls. 1st one is purpleheart with birdseye maple and the 2nd one is walnut. Both are slate over glass. I have yet to make the strikers. This is also my first duck call made from cocobolo and it was a kit from Hut.
turk1.jpg

turk2.jpg

turk3.jpg

turk4.jpg

duck1.jpg

duck2.jpg

For those of you who sign their turley calls. At what point do you sign it? After it's finished? before final topcoat? What kind of marker do you use. I lookied for india ink pen at walmart and staples but could not find one.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

Very nice! I got a India Ink pen at either Hobby Lobby or Michael's, can't remember which. I sign on the bare wood before I do any finish.

Very nice work.
I especially like the detail work (beads and grooves) on the duck call.
I understand duck calls, you blow into one end and a reed or something vibrates and sounds like a duck.
Turkey calls are new to me and I'm having trouble sussing out how they work just from the pictures.
Can you explain the operating principle to a non-turkey hunter? Just curious.:)

spitfire

Rifleman I get all my supplies from http://www.brooksidegamecalls.com/index.asp

rince, you use a striker which is basically a dowel rod about 6" long with a handle and you drag the rounded dowel on the slate.

mdwine, the call is cocobolo and no i don't make my own guts, this is the first call i made and all supplies came from hut. it is really expensive for the jig to make the guts and don't think I will go that route but rather just use the inserts for now anyways.

thanks for all the comments

MDWine

Originally posted by spitfire
...and no i don't make my own guts, this is the first call i made ...

You're off to a good start!!

I've starting looking around for materials, references and all. I got a very good book on making calls.

Turning Custom Duck and Game Calls by Ed Glenn & Greg Keats</u>

Has stuff about making mandrels, reeds, guages for guts and all that stuff... Like you, I don't know how far I will take it, but figured I should try one or two!!

Keep'm comin, and have fun!

Rifleman1776

Rifleman I get all my supplies from http://www.brooksidegamecalls.com/index.asp

rince, you use a striker which is basically a dowel rod about 6" long with a handle and you drag the rounded dowel on the slate.

mdwine, the call is cocobolo and no i don't make my own guts, this is the first call i made and all supplies came from hut. it is really expensive for the jig to make the guts and don't think I will go that route but rather just use the inserts for now anyways.

thanks for all the comments

Thanks. His slate prices seem OK but the prices for some of his kits are very high.

spitfire

Rifleman, I didn't really price any of the kits so I don't know. His slate prices had just gone up in the last couple weeks from 1.85. I buy from him because he is somewhat local to me.

Md, I have that book as well, It is a great book, some amazing calls in there.

Rifleman1776

Rifleman, I didn't really price any of the kits so I don't know. His slate prices had just gone up in the last couple weeks from 1.85. I buy from him because he is somewhat local to me.

Md, I have that book as well, It is a great book, some amazing calls in there.

I once tried to buy direct from a mine, I believe in Maine. Prices were very good but he could not provide pieces thin enough for calls.

bkc

If you want to buy direct from a slate quarry, try Penn Big Bed Slate Co, Inc. I buy mine in bulk through them unless just needing a piece or two. They regularly sell to call makers and will cut to your dimensions.

bkc

Yep, I think that size is a 'standard'. So you can get it. Though I always trace my slate before I start turning the center. Never know, one time it could be off a fraction, and since your lip isn't that big, don't automatically figure exact sizing.

Top Bottom