2 practice calls down

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bsshog40

bsshog40

Well here are my first to practice duck calls. My designs kind of changed along the way as I'm turning popular wood. Very light and brittle. Lol I was using my Mt2 drill chuck to hold the mandrel which worked ok for this light wood. I started another with african blackwood but that wood was so hard my drill chuck kept loosening up. So now I'm waiting to get a collet chuck set before I go any further. Nothing like catching a drill chuck at 2000 rpms before it hits the ground. Lol All is good. Plus I need to get my CA process down again. The lighter one is coated with beeswax and a coat of Renaissance wax. The darker one I stained and attempted to CA. I also had to do a little laser work for decoration.

Attachments

• 20230604_205043.jpg
    20230604_205043.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 75
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

A suggestion, if you are going to buy inserts, buy them from Echo duck call company. Also buy a complete call so you have a complete call to copy.

Another suggestion is to learn how to use the call. The buyers like to hear a call being played. Echo is also a good call to learn on.

bsshog40

A suggestion, if you are going to buy inserts, buy them from Echo duck call company. Also buy a complete call so you have a complete call to copy.

Another suggestion is to learn how to use the call. The buyers like to hear a call being played. Echo is also a good call to learn on.
Ya, I use to hunt ducks a long time ago. I use to use my uncles call. Hardly remember it anymore. I've looked at echos reed kits as I want to learn how to make the inserts also. Was also thinking the same thing about buying one. I did print out an insert on my 3d printer for a model to make wooden ones.

Attachments

• 20230607_223712.jpg
    20230607_223712.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 48

randyrls

with african blackwood but that wood was so hard my drill chuck kept loosening up. So now I'm waiting to get a collet chuck set before I go any further. Nothing like catching a drill chuck at 2000 rpms before it hits the ground. Lol All is good.

Bobby; If your drill chuck loosens, get a drill chuck with a drawbar to secure the chuck in the MT2 taper. OR hold onto the chuck as you drill. Drawbar drill chucks can be had from metal working places like Little machine Shop. Check the taper socket and drill taper for any burrs or galling or "smutz". MT tapers are "wrung" connections. It only takes a very little bit to loosen the conection. Clean the inside of the taper.

bsshog40

Bobby; If your drill chuck loosens, get a drill chuck with a drawbar to secure the chuck in the MT2 taper. OR hold onto the chuck as you drill. Drawbar drill chucks can be had from metal working places like Little machine Shop. Check the taper socket and drill taper for any burrs or galling or "smutz". MT tapers are "wrung" connections. It only takes a very little bit to loosen the conection. Clean the inside of the taper.
Hey Randy, I was using the drill chuck to hold the expansion mandrel while turning the blank, not drilling a hole. Basically I was using the drill chuck as a collet chuck.

bugradx2

these look great, I love the laser engraving too. Please keep posting updates.

Your comment on the shape of the call "ring" true with me but there are also only so many shapes. Maybe grab all your calls and see which parts of them you like and dont like

Top Bottom