2 New Pens - Celtic Knot & Purpleheart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NewfoundlandLaw

Hey All

Here is my first attempt at doing a Celtic Knot and my first try with Purple Heart.

I need some practise at the Celtic Knot, but I'm pleased with how the CA finish turned out. Next time I'll have to use a larger blank as I cut it close with this Atrax Kit.

I'm happy with how the Purpleheart turned out once I applied the torch trick. (Only problem is that I couldn't get a CA finish to work after I heated the wood so I went with a traditional polish instead.). I'm assuming it is due to the Purpleheart oils being drawn out by the heat of the torch.
IMG_3900.JPG
IMG_3903.JPG
IMG_3904.JPG
IMG_3907.JPG
IMG_3905.JPG

Pen Turning on the Rock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nice work !!! . Is that some blue shop towel stuck to your finger ? . You must be left-handed ... LOL !

I hope the coloration of the purpleheart lasts and does not fade.

What is the dark wood that you used for the Celtic Cross ? Assume light is maple.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hey Marc, Nice job on the pens.

...OK, The Knot, as I see it, it is pretty even on the top/bottom alignment, very tough to accomplish - kudos. One of the last pickies seems to indicate a chip out - not unexpected if I am correct, we've been there.

I prefer a more severe angle cut, to give an oval vs a round profile - just my preference. But this is an easy adjustment.

The purpleheart has awesome coloring! I realize what you did, and hope it lasts.

And I applaud your CA finish as this is a very weak element in my turning.

Well done!

Very nice work !!! . Is that some blue shop towel stuck to your finger ? . You must be left-handed ... LOL !

I hope the coloration of the purpleheart lasts and does not fade.

What is the dark wood that you used for the Celtic Cross ? Assume light is maple.

I'm worried about that for future pens, but I couldn't get the CA to work on the Purpleheart after I brought out the colour. It would bubble and not apply clear.

Pen Turning on the Rock

jttheclockman

If I can add my thoughts. Nice job on both pens. The purpleheart can be wiped down with DNA or acetone after you heated it. Maybe the wood was still warm but no reason that CA would not adhere to it.

As far as the knot goes. I like to use thicker infill material to really make the knot stand out. To thin makes it look fake in my opinion. This maybe due to the bandsaw if that is what you are cutting the blank with. You can always use a spacer when cutting the knot to make it thicker even if you use a bandsaw. Not sure what angle you are cutting at but a little steeper would also look better.

Keep at it and do not be afraid to try new things. Happy Turning.

Top Bottom