Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vick

Status
Not open for further replies.

vick

Alright as promised proof that I still turn

2006101883710_ThreeNewClosed.jpg

2006101883725_threenewopen.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture but it is late.
From Left to right Chrome baron made of blue black lucite and black Berea acrylic, Maple Burls and Cocobolo Snap cap, and Berea resin gent.
Comments and critiques are welcome. Personally I love the way the Baron turned out, but let me know what you think.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Baron is great, would rather show off that one of the bunch, but I think the best one is the snap cap.

vick

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Originally posted by jthompson1995
<br />Very nice, I like all three. What kit is the center one?
The kit is a CSU Americana rollerball, many people just call it a snap cap since the pen snaps in the cap as aposed to threading in. It is not a very popular kit and some have reported problems with them but I have made about 40 of them and never had any problems.

Gerry - as stated above it is a CSU kit.

Bill - I still have not tried you method yet for the invisible clip. The snap cap is the only kit I currently do it on and have just been sticking with what I am confortable with. Lately I have been enamored with custom finals for any of the kits that have the hole in the clip the same size as the caps tube. I think it looks just as good when done right and is easier and faster to produce and I have a smaller failure rate then I have on the invisible clips. If I get back to removeing the centerbands on the Barons and El Toros I will give your method a try since without the centerband the additional metal showing at the clip would probably look unbalanced.

Lately on the few pens that I have made I have been trying to simlify my work while still keeping the custom look to them. This is also one of the reason I have gone away from the rounded ends on the solid body to a tapered flatter end. I like the way they look and I they are alot easier for me to get to look good than the rouded ends. This is the reason I particuliarly like the Baron, with the laminated black acrylic on the botton on the body, the custom turned final and two of the center band rings eliminated I think it has a very nice non kit look to it without being a huge amount of work.

nilsatcraft

Excellent pens, Mike! You did a top notch job on all of them. I love the material used on the left pen. It's very classy and the color goes great with the plating. Nicely done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom