2 from today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

I sold the two pens I had very similar to these so I made two more. The blanks I already had made a few months ago. I have never made these with 3 layer infill. I like it so much that I'll make them like that from now on. Both are Cameron pens in chrome. The one with 3 layer infill is maple and redheart and the other is purpleheart
IMG_2041.JPG
IMG_2042.JPG
IMG_2043.JPG
IMG_2044.JPG
and holly.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
👍
Beautiful! I like each. It's interesting that for some designs "less is better" and for others "more is better." And it is entirely a personal preference - some customers will be drawn to a more complex design while others the simpler. (I actually like to make both).

For your combinations, they are very visually appealing. A lot depends on the precision and choice of materials, and yours' are excellent.

Well done Ken.

Be well.

KenB259

[emoji106]
Beautiful! I like each. It's interesting that for some designs "less is better" and for others "more is better." And it is entirely a personal preference - some customers will be drawn to a more complex design while others the simpler. (I actually like to make both).

For your combinations, they are very visually appealing. A lot depends on the precision and choice of materials, and yours' are excellent.

Well done Ken.

Be well.

That is a good point, just because I prefer a specific design element, doesn't mean everyone will. The redheart one is actually 200 segments. I really don't concentrate or even think about that when I'm making a blank. I know some do though.

magpens

Very nice work, Ken !!!!!

In the second pen (purpleheart) .....

What is the starting cross-sectional shape of the long, narrow inserts, please ? .... before you glue them together.

I tend to over-complicate things like this, and my mind tells me that each thin insert has the cross-section of a "pie wedge".
And, while that would work, I am quite sure that there is a simpler way to do this segmentation.

KenB259

Very nice work, Ken !!!!!

In the second pen (purpleheart) .....

What is the starting cross-sectional shape of the long, narrow inserts, please ? .... before you glue them together.

I tend to over-complicate things like this, and my mind tells me that each thin insert has the cross-section of a "pie wedge".
And, while that would work, I am quite sure that there is a simpler way to do this segmentation.

Simply flat pieces .100 thick as my saw kerf is .102. No wedge shape needed.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That is a good point, just because I prefer a specific design element, doesn't mean everyone will. The redheart one is actually 200 segments. I really don't concentrate or even think about that when I'm making a blank. I know some do though.

Yup, I get it. I chuckle when I see threads on various forums: "Hey check out (and like my website) for my 500, 1,000, 2000, 10,000+ segmented pen." I realize that they are scrambling for likes to earn some $, and that is fine.

I also chuckle when others repeatedly post the same pictures of nice pens, but as the thread is not theirs, they are trolling for additional likes, or reference their photo album. A well designed segmented pen with 10 segments may appeal more than one with 100 segments; all is in the final design.

jttheclockman

I do not even know how to count segments. It is what it is. I do not make pens for others to like. I do them to make me feel good about my finished product. If someone else happens to like it I am cool with that. I sold a few over the years but gave away more than I ever will sell. My collection will be left to someone who may think that is cool. What they do with it I could care less for I am in the ground. Can not sweat the small stuff. :) I think I like the triple inlay best of these two. Well done and sharp lines. By the way if anyone wants to check out my photo album feel free. :) Wish more people would make an album because after this post gets rotated out of first page these pens are lost and forgotten about unless revived by someone and then can take on some new life so bringing pens back into a thread is not all bad in my opinion.

By the way to view someones album just click on their sign-on name and then click the number under their media entries. If they have an album then you can view. Just a reminder.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I wrote the Album thing to counter this remark I also chuckle when others repeatedly post the same pictures of nice pens, but as the thread is not theirs, they are trolling for additional likes, or reference their photo album. Your wait is over. Carry on. ;)

magpens

By the way to view someones album just click on their sign-on name and then click the number under their media entries. If they have an album then you can view. Just a reminder.

Thanks for stating how to do this, John. .... "Just a reminder" ... you say !! . You "reminded" me of something I didn't know that I knew !!! . LOL !!

Ever since this new IAP website was introduced many moons ago, I have been at a virtual loss for doing anything other than the very basic "everyday stuff", like viewing "What's new", and going to the "Home" page .... and doing a basic search.

So ... I just now followed your direction on viewing my album(s) for myself ..... I don't even remember taking most of those pictures, and I certainly don't remember creating an album, and uploading pictures to it. . But there it is !! . I am left wondering how it happened !!!:rolleyes:

Some of the pictures there are meaningless now, and I don't know how they got there in the first place !!! . LOL !! . Don't anybody look, please !!!

jttheclockman

Mal I was not looking to hijack Ken's thread but thought it was a point that needed to be stated. I agree with you about still learning this site and I still forget how to load to the album but quickly figure it out. There was a thread not long ago about gathering questions about the site and there were going to be videos loaded to explain some of the things but guess that went south. Anyway glad it helped at least one person. OK back to Ken's beautiful work. He has become the premiere segmenter here and his work needs to be archived someway. An album is one way as well as posting these in the segmented forum under that thread "no questions just photos." I think that thread should have been made a subforum too.

KenB259

Most of the time I am accessing IAP via the app on my phone. I don't believe you do everything from your phone that you can do with an actual PC.

KenB259

Mal I was not looking to hijack Ken's thread but thought it was a point that needed to be stated. I agree with you about still learning this site and I still forget how to load to the album but quickly figure it out. There was a thread not long ago about gathering questions about the site and there were going to be videos loaded to explain some of the things but guess that went south. Anyway glad it helped at least one person. OK back to Ken's beautiful work. He has become the premiere segmenter here and his work needs to be archived someway. An album is one way as well as posting these in the segmented forum under that thread "no questions just photos." I think that thread should have been made a subforum too.

Thank you John, but I'm just one of many here who do segmenting. I just love how one design turns into another. I have said it before segmenting is what holds my interest in this hobby.

mick

Wow Ken I really like both but the one that is all horizontal lines lends itself perfectly to that kit!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mick

Wow Ken I really like both but the one that is all horizontal lines lends itself perfectly to that kit!

Sorry I meant the one with the more narrow vertical lines. I'm confused easily. [emoji3061]

Top Bottom