1st two Sierra Super Clicks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

At a few shows people have specifically asked for click pens. I thought I better add some to my offerings. I was going to offer the edc dura-click, but that little extension on the ink refill caused me to double think that one. Then they came out with the Sierra super click using the same higher quality click mechanism so that's the one I chose to offer. These are my first two and I think I made the right choice.
IMG_1581.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Superb pens Ken. Yes, I appreciate the addition of the better mechanism, but those blanks are really, really well done. As I have mentioned before, the colors and multilayers in your knots are so much more visually appealing. Those of you that do these knot designs with the colors and layers are doing a great job.

Well done.

KenB259

Superb pens Ken. Yes, I appreciate the addition of the better mechanism, but those blanks are really, really well done. As I have mentioned before, the colors and multilayers in your knots are so much more visually appealing. Those of you that do these knot designs with the colors and layers are doing a great job.

Well done.

Thanks Mark. On these two I changed the order that I cut knots. After the first cut is done, glued and sanded back down, I made the second cut on the opposite side. This is going to be new method, I think the knot looks a little better. No pen buyer will ever even notice, but a pen maker might[emoji846]

KenB259

Well done.

Thanks Mark. On these two I changed the order that I cut knots. After the first cut is done, glued and sanded back down, I made the second cut on the opposite side. This is going to be new method, I think the knot looks a little better. No pen buyer will ever even notice, but a pen maker might[emoji846]

magpens

I like what you have done with these, Ken. . Very nice, indeed !!!

And I am going to differ from Alan in expressing my preference for the pen on the left ... with the brown wood-grain "barrel caps" :) !

What I am going to say next may not really belong in this thread, but I will say it anyway while we have everyone's attention.

I understand why you like the Sierra Super Button Click (no added plastic extender on the refill), but I would like it better if Berea had maintained the brass tube length of the old, original Sierra Button Click, and I can't see why they didn't.

The old, original brass tube length is 2.418" - compared to the new Super, with a brass tube length of 2.364" , the difference is only 0.054".
I think that difference could have been easily absorbed in the design of the other body parts in order to keep the brass tube lengths the same.
If they had done that then tube-in blanks made for the old would also fit the new with no adjustment.
I have some tube-in blanks made for the old, so now I have to trim them to fit the new, and with some of those, the barrel segment patterning could make things a little tricky.

Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth ( more than 2 cents, IMHO !!! šŸ˜ƒ - Hope the Berea kit designer reads this ! )

( BTW, I have done some detailed measurements on the "Super" click mech. and it has been modified from the stock Schmidt SKM-88 mech.
Therefore, I don't get why the idea of equalizing the brass tube lengths could not have been thought of and incorporated into the "Super".
Sometimes the "random acts of mindlessness" on the part of kit designers gets me down. . Maybe someone else has a different view of this.
I am all ears for some differing or alternative viewpoints.)

jttheclockman

Ken can you spin one of the pens around and shoot another photo?? Doesn't matter which one. I do know eaxtly what you are talking about and if my thoughts are correct I have a suggestion for you.

jttheclockman

OK here is my thoughts because you said you will change the sequence of cutting. Just about everyone who has done these were told to set the cuts up opposite. if you turn the blank 180 degrees it will mimic if you change the sequence of cutting. In other words when you mark the blank you were told to mark 1 opposite 2 and 3 opposite 4. So If you cut 1 first and then cut 2 second it does not matter if you cut 3 first and 4 second. All it does is turn the knot around so that the over and under is different. Try cutting the blank in order and mark the side 1-2-3-4 right in a row and see what happens. and compare. Or maybe you are doing something totally different than I stand corrected.

jttheclockman

Ken right now I have an open thread about click pens and remembered you just made these. Is this the first time you used this kit??? What do you think of it so far?? I am looking for a quality click pen and this one was mentioned. I do not like the ones with the knurled ends and the small plastic piece that can get lost from what I am reading.

KenB259

Ken right now I have an open thread about click pens and remembered you just made these. Is this the first time you used this kit??? What do you think of it so far?? I am looking for a quality click pen and this one was mentioned. I do not like the ones with the knurled ends and the small plastic piece that can get lost from what I am reading.

I have made three and so far I really like it. It differs from other kits as there is a very small brass threaded insert that you press into one end of the brass tube. It doesn't tell you to, but I have applied a little thread locker on this piece. It's not an inexpensive kit, but it seems none of the better click pens are. I like the fact that to change the refill you just unscrew the nib end. I can think of no negatives. Some are a little ticked off that the tubes are not the same length as a regular Sierra, I'm not finding that an issue as I don't make a ton of blanks ahead of time. When I make a blank, I know what pen it's going to be from the start. So for me , it's a great kit, easy to segment , easy to assemble, click mechanism is great quality. No concerns about this kit from me.

Top Bottom