1st Place Rollerball/Fountain pen contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from John Smith

John Smith

Thanks to everyone that voted for my pen. Also, thanks to Jonathan Brooks for running this contest. And to all the vendors who donated prizes.

I was really surprised to see i received first place.

I have had the idea for this pen in my head for a couple of years. When I seen the contest coming up, I thought it would be a good time to do it.

There are a total of 55 rings, with 21 pieces in each ring. Each ring is about .060" thick. For a total of 1,155 pieces of cherry, maple, and walnut. I used a CA finish on it.

Attachments

• IMG_9387.jpg
    IMG_9387.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_9389.jpg
    IMG_9389.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_9390.jpg
    IMG_9390.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_9392.jpg
    IMG_9392.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 185
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timebandit

I dont normally comment on kit pens unless they are impressive, they just dont do it for me.....that being said, i am very impressed with the time and effort and result that you got out of this pen! The thing that most impresses me, that some might not even notice, is your perfection with keeping the basket weave pattern. What i mean is the overlapping and underlapping pattern, as you would have if you were actually weaving a basket. Just glancing at it, one might just see X's across the pen, until you look closely and see that they are intertwined!!:eek: This took some real thought ( 2 years!!:biggrin: ) and was well worth the wait! Your other pen, slimeline i believe, was beautiful as well! Great job on these...you are a master segmenter!:biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I think that has to be the most accurate segmenting I have ever seen. Just amazing. Like Justin said, your other pen was also fantastic.
I'd love to figure out your process of maintaining the accuracy while you assemble it. :good:

plantman

John: That is a fantastic pen !! This kit is one of my most used bases because so much can be done with it!! I would like to see some more detailed photos of it, as these are a little on the dark side. Great craftsmanship !!! Jim S

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have "liked" several comments...

Your segmenting is incredible!!!

Like many other aspects of pen turning (and turning in general), segmenting is an ART! It takes time, precision, trial and errors, repeated failures, and a very particular personality of the turner!!!

You have it all!

I have enjoyed seeing your work. :)

John Smith

A great big thanks for all the compliments

Timebandit-- Glad to see you noticed the basket weave pattern. That is what made this quite a bit more complex to assemble. If any rings were off, it would really show up. Hoping to expand on this in the future.

Skiprat-- Not really any great secret to assembly. When I glue the staves up there is a small hole that runs down the center. I use that hole with 60 degree centers in the lathe to turn it round. Then I bore a hole down the center with pen jaws on the lathe. After that I slice rings off on the table saw. For this pen they were .060" thick. I number them as I cut them off, so if there is any variance, it will be lessened as I go. I them glue them up one at a time on a pen mandrel mounted in a drill chuck on the lathe using the tail stock for pressure.

Hope this helps.I am a terrible communicator with writing. If you want more info Pm me. I will try to get my process across better.

Plantman-- I purposefully used this kit as it has large diameters and no clip to bugger up the pattern. Now if I could only get rid of the center bands. Hmmmmm..........

OZturner

Absolutely Superb Pen, John.
Clever choice of Kit, to Present and Salute an Incredible Blank.
While undoubtedly it is Segmenting, it is as detailed as some of the highly prized style of Traditional Tunbridge Marquetry.
One can only, begin to imagine, but not fully comprehend, the Precision, Concentration, Dedication, Perseverance and Craftsmanship required to produce such a Blank.
Your Fit and Finish, bestowed the Final Touch to a Magnificent Work of Art.
Rightly Worthy of the Prize and Acclaim it has received.
Congratulations,
Brian.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
See John, you CAN post!! And very well, I might add!! Keep it up, you have lots to say! (And cleverly!!)

Your fan,
Ed

MikeL

WOW! So impressive. Can pen making say something about the pen maker? Patient? artistic? Detail oriented? Skilled? I bet your all of those.

Top Bottom