1st Kitless pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Aces-High

Aces-High

I have been threatening do to this for a while. Just like the first kit pen I made, there are things I would change, and it took too long.
Thanks for looking, advice and "heplful" comments always welcome.

Jason

20200616_222144.jpg
20200616_222023.jpg
20200616_222046.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Thanks Mal. I'll try a rollerball next.
The ballpoint is actually harder than the rollerball, in my opinion.
That's because you have to take into account the range of movement of the refill and the right room for spring compression.
(Of course, in the style of ballpoint you have done, you have left out the movement of the refill, so it's easier ..... THIS time. !! )
You don't have those two considerations for a rollerball.

After the rollerball, the FP is straightforward. . The only extra is making sure you don't "bottom out" on the nib tip and "b***er" it up.
Oh .... and the extra section threading operation, but that is pretty easy after having done some cap threadings already.

It depends on whether you make your own section, or use a nib with ready-made section. . The latter is easier of course and good for 1st time.

Last edited:

TonyL

I wish my 5th looked that good. Nice work. My first took me about 10 hours spread out over 4 days and I ruined 4 blanks. Thanks for sharing!

Pierre---

Nice work Jason!
If you ask for "helpful comments" I would say you may consider the step between section and barrel and maybe make it less important, even if it is difficult to avoid it when barrel is flush with the cap. The nib is very rounded, check if writing with such a shape - maybe hardly seeing the point - is comfortable. And if you feel screwing and unscrewing the cap takes too long, try to change that...
I am not shocked by a first kitless that takes too long to be made, I even find that quite normal. Just have fun!

Top Bottom