1st attempt at stabilizing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jingle57

I've read a number of posts and watched a number of videos describing stabilizing with Cactus Juice in a vacuum chamber and I have some questions. I dried my blanks, starting weight 42.5 grams and finished drying when I could not get the weight under 40 grams. I followed the CJ directions and cranked up the vacuum process till I saw very few bubbles; the cactus Juice instructions say "Keep the vacuum going until you see very few bubbles coming from the blanks". Other videos noted that the blank is fully saturated when it no longer floats in the CJ. My blanks didn't float, I did weight them to keep them submerged in the CJ. My blanks are now soaking and I'll remove them from the CJ and start the heat curing process. How can I tell if my stabilizing has been successful?

Darrin

It sounds like your wood was pretty dry to begin with and I think you'll have great results. You've done everything correctly.
Soak it 2-3x longer than vacuuming.
Also, some blanks will float even after stabilizing depending on the wood, so don't let that bother you.
You'll know if it was successful while your turning it.

Top Bottom