1st attempt at resin bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TattooedTurner

I've only made 5 bowls, all from wood. This is my first attempt making one from resin. I made the blank in a round plastic container from Walmart using Silmar 41 and colored with mica powders. This was a trial run more than anything just to see if I could do it and truthfully, it came out bad enough that I didn't want to show it. The finish leaves a lot to be desired, but it holds water and sits flat, so I won't complain. I mainly used a round carbide to hollow it with some help from a parting tool. The outside was shaped by making a slicing cut with a spindle gouge and scraped with a skew. It was a slow, long process, and one I doubt I'll be trying again anytime soon. I'll stick to wood for bowls and leave the resin for smaller things. It doesn't seem worth the time to make one from resin considering in the end it's just a plastic bowl, but it was an experiment and I had fun and learned a bit.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveAxelrod

Very nice casting!

That's another pretty casting Jay, I like the combination of colors. Very nice job turning and finishing. A resin bowl is much better suited for eating soup or cereal than a wood bowl, so the material has a niche and you can certainly create some unique and beautiful resins. Perhaps try a hybrid of wood and resin for your next creation.

Attachments

• Resin & Burl Bowl.jpg
    Resin & Burl Bowl.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 129
  • rsz_burl_&_resin_lidded_bowl.jpg
    rsz_burl_&_resin_lidded_bowl.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 125
I think you are selling yourself short, Jay. Maybe you were expecting a different outcome but it looks quite nice in the photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Thank you, and yes I was expecting a different outcome. I didn't want it to be so black, all the color is on the bottom where it doesn't seen.

That's another pretty casting Jay, I like the combination of colors. Very nice job turning and finishing. A resin bowl is much better suited for eating soup or cereal than a wood bowl, so the material has a niche and you can certainly create some unique and beautiful resins. Perhaps try a hybrid of wood and resin for your next creation.

Thanks Steve. I have a burl I busted up that I'll eventually stabilize and use for some hybrid castings, definitely a shave brush and maybe a lidded box. Beautiful pics there.

Top Bottom