1st and 2nd segmenting attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mike P

Mike P

Hi Everyone - I've been turning since last November, and but between work and young kids, I don't get much shop time. I've probably turned two dozen pens or so, but this was my first attempt at segmenting. I have a close friend who is like an aunt to our kids, and I wanted to find a way to thank her for all her help during the pandemic. She went to college at a school in the midwest whose sports teams I hate, but I brought myself to make this one for her. I got the wood blank from stadiumpenblanks and the blue and gold alumilite blank from NVWoodWerks. The first blank I accidentally ruined when I was trying to square it a bit on my disc sander. I didn't realize I was pushing a little too hard on one end... I really didn't want to just try to make the same thing over again after that so I slightly changed the design and ended up with the 2nd. There's a couple flaws in there - the wood was really soft compared to the segmenting sheets I used so I went pretty deep into the wood. You can see the brass tube shining through on the nib end. To fix it I built up a ton of layers of CA and wet sanded it back down to match the rest of the body. My friend really loved it, and that's the important part :)

IMG_3521.jpg
IMG_3206.jpg
IMG_3210.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very nice. I appreciate the care you took to keep the elements evenly spaced. Welcome to the world of segmenting. ;)

Top Bottom