1969 Camaro Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RSidetrack

Okay - so my buddy owns a 1969 Camaro Convertible and several years ago he had it repainted - factory color - that nice blue that you see on them.

So last week I was showing him some of the blanks I had made and his eyes just lit up, he turned around, went into a cabinet and came back with a quart of the leftover paint from his car :biggrin:

Asked me to make a blank but with a lighter swirl like I had in one of mine throughout it.

So on went the adventure..... of failures.

I went through 2 sets where the swirl hardened before it ever left the cup to pour. Then I made the first set of pictures - it all just became a flat solid layer and looked horrible.

So onto the next mold - had a phone call for work, hardened solid before I got back to it. Did it again and was, I don't think impatient is the word, but afraid of it hardening again, so hit it too soon and the colors mixed, which is the second set of pictures.

Then today, again another phone call, actually 2, I have a lot of cup shaped coasters now. And finally managed to make something remotely what he asked for, which are the last images. This time I didn't bother drilling and turning down into pen form, I wanted to see it before I was ripping it off another tube again. So for the first time since I started making pens, I removed the madrel and turned between centers. I cleaned it up a little bit and I am liking what I am seeing - I am hoping he does too.

If not - he is getting straight up 69 Camaro Blue, no swirl :tongue: I am doing it as a favor, not like I am getting money :rolleyes: But I think he will like this one, I am happy with it, and usually he is happy with something when I am still ticked about it, so we will see.

Attachments

• Camaro_Mold-1.jpg
    Camaro_Mold-1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 111
  • Camaro_Mold-2.jpg
    Camaro_Mold-2.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Camaro_Mold-3.jpg
    Camaro_Mold-3.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Camaro_Mold-4.jpg
    Camaro_Mold-4.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Camaro_Mold-5.jpg
    Camaro_Mold-5.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Camaro_Mold-6.jpg
    Camaro_Mold-6.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 131

Brooks803

I know where you're coming from Rick. I did the same thing for my Dad's camaro a while back. Don't give up. You now know when it's too late to pour, and when it's too soon to pour. You're almost to that sweet spot, keep on trying! Good luck!

Attachments

• 100_1446 (700x479).jpg
    100_1446 (700x479).jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 100_6401 (700x259).jpg
    100_6401 (700x259).jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 128
Top Bottom