16 stave experiment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NGLJ

I would not normally try to make a 16 stave blank but I was looking at the off-cuts from making an 8 stave blank and realized that I could use them. The blank is quartersawn white oak with 1/64" green plastic spacers. This was the first time using plastic. So it was an all CA glue up which proved to be both challenging and educational! Having 16 staves made it all the more challenging. It wasn't perfect but then the off cuts that I used weren't all uniform and they were 90 deg triangles and not isosceles as would be the case if making them correctly. See attached.

Attachments

• 16 stave blank.jpg
    16 stave blank.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 196
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@NGLJ

Thanks for showing your 16-stave blank.

I am curious about the cross-sectional geometry of each stave.

Could you please show a pic of the end of your blank . . . I think that would clarify for me.

Thanks.

jrista

Very interesting. I've been following your threads silently for a while here... I apologize for my ignorance, but...why are they called staves? I assume that is referring to the green parts?

NGLJ

Very interesting. I've been following your threads silently for a while here... I apologize for my ignorance, but...why are they called staves? I assume that is referring to the green parts?
First, no apology is necessary. We all come here to learn from each other and the only way is to ask! The staves are the wood. The term comes from wooden barrels, tanks etc. Staves.
Looks superb! Turn IT!
It is just waiting, have fun!

NGLJ

Looks superb! Turn IT!

It is just waiting, have fun!
I wasn't going to but now I think that I will to see how it comes out.
@NGLJ

Thanks for showing your 16-stave blank.

I am curious about the cross-sectional geometry of each stave.

Could you please show a pic of the end of your blank . . . I think that would clarify for me.

Thanks.
Here you go. It is drilled for Sierra type pens.

Attachments

• 16 stave end.jpg
    16 stave end.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 127

NGLJ

It occurred to me that a simple diagram would show what I did - see attached. The center piece is cut to make an 8 stave blank. I used the cut off pieces to make the 16 stave blank.

Attachments

• 45 deg.png
    45 deg.png
    87.2 KB · Views: 85

KMCloonan

I wasn't going to but now I think that I will to see how it comes out.

Here you go. It is drilled for Sierra type pens.
In the cross section you can really see the difference the 90 degree triangles make compared to what it would look like with isosceles triangular slices. I think it looks really cool. Too bad you don't see the cross section on a pen. Thanks for sharing. Very nice work!

Top Bottom