13mm stepless #3 - Brown Crushed Velvet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PatrickR

PatrickR

My third 13mm stepless pen. The next will be 12mm. Vintage Brown Crushed Velvet with acrylic accents.
Max Diameter = 15.4mm
Length = 142mm (5.5")
24g without ink.
Q, C & C welcome.
6EB8C893-BBC2-4627-8FC5-1D7C8EA8CEB7.jpeg
DCC72282-93D7-4B0D-B7ED-72C50EF3DBD5.jpeg
A64B6C28-629F-4454-953E-682ACFAEF3AA.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Absolutely stunning. Very well done. Love the stepless look.
Crushed velvet is my favorite plastic blank but I only have 5/8 square blanks. What size did you use for this pen, please? Source, if available. Thanks.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

jalbert

Good attempt, however I don't know about the bands. With the character of the material and your finial coin going on, I would have left them out or used something neutral, like metal.

PatrickR

Absolutely stunning. Very well done. Love the stepless look.
Crushed velvet is my favorite plastic blank but I only have 5/8 square blanks. What size did you use for this pen, please? Source, if available. Thanks.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Thanks. Stepless is the way to go to get a slim FP.
I have 5/8 blanks that I got from @mrburls. I have gotten gold, brown, red, green and blue. This was the only brown i had.

PatrickR

Good attempt, however I don't know about the bands. With the character of the material and your finial coin going on, I would have left them out or used something neutral, like metal.
Thanks for the input. I dont always make the best choice with accents maybe a visualization thing. I do like to use the chunk materials for accents for some reason.

Fine Engineer

I love this design! I actually like the segments and think they work well with the body color. Aesthetics are entirely subjective, so there's no wrong answer there.
This is the first time I've seen a removable end to access the ink mechanism. I really like that feature. It seems cleaner than removing the full nib assembly and filling it that way. Exceptional work.

PatrickR

Beautiful pen! I love that blank. Maybe just personal preference, but I rather like the bands. What material did you use for them?
Thanks!
i have developed a style that I like without trying to emulate others work and how I do the accents is part of that. Not everyone cup of tea but it works for me. There are a lot of people that use a single metal band in these areas to good effect.
i used some gold accent blank from The Pensmiths and a white with gold chunk that I cant remember where I got.
541FB397-D880-4740-BB5F-EA19EF998642.jpeg

Valleyboy

Good job and kudos for trying to do something a bit different with the accents.

Does the section unscrew or does the c/c pull out via the blind cap?

Cheers
Ash

Pierre---

Very attractive pen Patrick. And interesting: I never made any stepless because I thought the step cap-barrel has to be too big. But yours seems just great. What I understand from your measures is that the cap is less than 1.2mm thick at the entrance, is that correct?

PatrickR

Very attractive pen Patrick. And interesting: I never made any stepless because I thought the step cap-barrel has to be too big. But yours seems just great. What I understand from your measures is that the cap is less than 1.2mm thick at the entrance, is that correct?
Thanks!
measuring with my cheap digital calipers it is .85mm at the opening before the threads start. This is thin but it feels adequate. I don't foresee it being an issue.

JamesC

its_virgil

i gout it here
they have the best selection that I know of. Shipping is not cheap from the UK so it's best to make larger orders
Chad Schimmel at turnerswarehouse.com sells the Beaufort Ink clips mentioned by PatrickR above and some other Beaufort Ink items. Click on Products then click on Custom and Bespoke Pen Supplies
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom