12" Turncrafter problem (hopefully) solved!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joebobber

This lathe has been ok but I've had TONS of issues with the tailstock. Today I took it apart to clean it again and brought it out to the living room with me so I could do it and sit. It was at that angle where I noticed the hole is off center.

Does anyone know if they are usually like this, or is this why I've had so many issues with this thing? I think I know the answer but just wanted to make sure.

Attachments

• 20230126_195502.jpg
    20230126_195502.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 85
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

I don't have that lathe but I believe it's a PSI product ? If so, I'd contact them for answers and help. They have excellent customer support. If there is an issue, they'll make it right.

monophoto

First, thanks for the reminder that I needed to take my tailstock apart for cleaning and lubrication. I normally do that a couple of times a year, but had forgotten to do it so far this year. Not a big job - takes less than 10 minutes, but really makes using the lathe more pleasant.

I grabbed a couple of pictures of what the tailstock ram and casting on my Turncrafter look like.
IMG_1277.JPG
IMG_1278.JPG

As you can see, the hole in the ram is perfectly centered, and when the ram is removed, you can see all the way through the matching bore in the headstock.

The ram doesn't rotate, and that hole receives the drive screw. The other end has the Morse taper, and as Rick says, it's probably machined from that end. But I agree with Hank that if the hole for the drive screw is not exactly centered on the the axis of rotation, tightening the handwheel will apply a force that will try to shift the ram off the turning axis (and in Joe's case, to about the 4-5 o-clock position). I suspect that the live center would compensate for that in normal turning, but when you mount a jacobs chuck for drilling, it's axis (and hence the axis of the drill bit) will align to the ram. The consequences could include stiff operation of the handwheel, and possible problems when drilling.

So as Hank said, I suggest getting on the phone with PSI. My experience with them has been outstanding, so I would expect them to jump on this problem immediately.

Last edited:

Joebobber

Yeah the issue its had is that it's super hard if not impossible at times to turn it out or in. Drilling and tightening. It has to stay clean and lubed every week. I am embarrassed it took so long to figure out the problem as I knew something was wrong but I attributed it to the threaded part inside binding up. I actually used the 1 from my old lathe which was smaller diameter when I got it new because of this but when the threads on the inside finally went bad I had to go back to the one that came with it. Here's a picture of what I am talking about.

I contacted psi this morning and they are sending me out a new tailstock housing as well as a U shaped sensor for the speed control.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230127_110622.jpg
    Screenshot_20230127_110622.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

monophoto

The cynics among us used to say that if you bought a car that was assembled on a Monday or Friday, you could expect to have more problems because the assembly line workers were more focused on their weekend activities than on the current job.

It's starting to sound like you got a Monday or Friday lathe!

Bleedaggie

I contacted psi this morning and they are sending me out a new tailstock housing as well as a U shaped sensor for the speed control.

That company is terrific. Any time I've had a problem they have made it right with no hesitation. One time when it wasn't even their issue. Makes me glad to give them my money.

SteveG

My post is a general knowledge one relating to machinery issues in general. In my pen making journey I have owned a Jet Mini, Delta Midi and Powermatic 2014. I had issues with the tailstock casting on EACH lathe. Ultimately I rec'd replacement TS castings with very little difficulty after contacting the manufacturer tech support. Problems were resolved. My point is that (in my experience) the companies are eager for their customers to be satisfied with their products, and will work at it to resolve any issues that should come up...sometimes even after the warranty has run out. So do not hesitate to contact those folks when working toward the resolution of any machinery problems you may encounter.

Joe, I am glad you achieved a satisfactory resolution with your TS issue. Welcome to the "Bad TS" club. This is a group that you join unknowingly, and strive to quit!o_O

Top Bottom